Skip to main content

Week 12 [21-27.01.19] Yamato and Musashi - Biggest battleships in history


Yamato and Mushashi were the biggest battleships ever created. There were once symbols of the military might of the Japanese Empire and I would like to present you these amazing ships.



As it was said at the beginning, Yamato and Mushashi were battleships. For these people, who are unfamiliar with the types of warships, I will try to explain this briefly. Battleships were descendants of sailing ships of the line from XIX century. It was  the strongest and biggest class of ships, designed to provide devastating fire power.  One of the first “modern” battleships was British Dreadnought from  1906 which set pattern for all later constructions.


The main conception was to replace a huge amount of guns with a few cannons, but with outstanding fire power and range and to cover everything with thick steel arm or.

No other warships had so much armour as battleships. However, steel is relatively a heavy material (the weight of a square metre of steel of thickness about 10cm is more than a  metric ton), therefore only the most important parts of the ship could be protected with the toughest armour. All the others, vital parts were normally locked in a steel “chest”, called an armoured citadel. In the photo below you can see an armour protecting command centre on the U.S.S. New Jersey, an American battleship. The thickness  of the walls is 430 mm.


Battleships from World War I were usually armed with 203-305 mm calibre cannons (calibre of cannon is the diameter of a barrel). As the result of the arms race before World War II, guns were significantly improved, so that they could destroy stronger armoured targets from the greatest distance. In the photography below you can see apogee of cannons development, the main artillery on a battleship Yamato. Certainly, the effectiveness of an artillery system is influenced by many factors like barrel parameters, rate of fire, accuracy and range.



Yamato and Mushashi were the greatest battleships in almost all categories (size, mass, armour and cannons calibre). One could think that they were results of some sick tendency to build enormous war machines (the bigger – the better), but in fact they were created as an outcome of detailed planning. Before World War II, battleships dominated the oceans and the role of planes and aircraft carriers was secondary. What is more, the most important Japanese rival, and later its enemy,  was the United States. This country had far more developed industry and economy than Japan, however, the size of American ships was limited by the width of the Panama Canal. Taking this into account, Japanese decided that they should build less, but more powerful battleships to handle the U.S. Navy.



Yamato class battleships were enormous, in length over 263 metres (Yamato placed vertically would be taller than the Palace of Culture and Science which height is only 237 metres) and width over 40 meters, they displacement was about 70 000 metric tons. They were powered by 4 steam turbines which combined power was about 150 000 shaft horsepower. Steam was produced by 12 boilers. Ships had four propellers, each 6 metres in diameter and they had a range over 7200 nautical miles (13 334 km – enough to cross entire the Pacific Ocean).

At the end of war, Yamato and Musashi were moving fortresses ridden with cannons - they had about 200 guns and 162 of them were 25 mm anti-aircraft guns. However, the most important was the main artillery. It was consisted of nine 460 mm cannons, the greatest calibre ever installed on the warship. 
In the picture below you can see one of the main turrets. Each of them had the mass over 2774 metric tons.



For comparison, below you can see a Polish destroyer ORP Błyskawica which displacement is 2144 metric tons. Yes, the whole ship weighs about 600 tons less than a single Yamato turret.



The following an impressive fact about these 460 mm cannons was their range. Everything in the 42 km radius could be annihilated. Each shell had the mass over 1 460 kg, in total it was 13 140 kg of steel and explosives hitting the target with the velocity of 475 m/s. In the next picture you can see what would be in a range of these cannons if we had Yamato in our school.



Yamato class battleships armour was impressive as well. About 33% of their mass, which means 23 000 tons, was face-hardened steel armour. The main belt was 410 mm thick (one of the most famous tanks of World War II, German Tiger I had 100 mm the front armour) and turrets were protected by 650 mm steel plating. As it was said before, these battleship were supposed to fight battles one versus many, therefore they had be almost indestructible.

Yamato and Musashi never had chance to prove their effectiveness. During World War II planes turned out to be highly efficient at sinking these steel behemoths.
Musashi sank on 24th October 1944 during a battle of Leyte Gulf. It was attacked by many waves of US airplanes and it was hit by 19 torpedoes and 20 bombs before sinking. For comparison, a British battleship Renown was hit by 5 torpedoes which sank it.

Yamato sank on 7th April 1945 during an operation Ten-go (which was literally a suicidal mission). It was attacked by 280 airplanes which caused an explosion of the main ammunition magazines for 460 mm bow turrets. Blast was so powerful that Yamato was literally torn apart. Battle took place over 160 km from Kyūshū, which residents could observe 6 km high cloud of smoke and ashes, presented on the picture below.



1. Have you ever heard about Yamato or Musashi?
2. Are you keen on World War II or on history in general?  
3. Yamato and Musashi are one of my favourite battleships. Do you have any favourite vehicles (ships, planes, tanks, cars or anything – they don't  have to be connected to World War II)?

Comments

Well, i never really found navy interesting but its whole another story when it comes to World War 2, i know there happened many things on Pacific but never really found what. Maybe i should change that. When it comes to my favourite vehicle it will always be Mx5, when it comes to ww2 planes like spitfire finds me most interested.
Honestly, i have never heard about Yamato or Musashi, but this article was very interesting for me to read and to learn more about.
I love history, so, events that happened during World War II are not an exception. I read a lot of books, articles about different kind of battles.
Myy favourite vehicles, that i know a lot about, are aircrafts. I fell in love when i first time read about it, especially about italian aircrafts. For instance, Ambrosini SAI.207, it was developed in Italy, mostly from wood and the maximum speed was about 650km/h.
Well, my personal favourite is HMS Victoria, no doubt. As for ships overall I find then fascinating. The most interesting fact about them is that first ship was built more than four thousand, thousand! years ago by egyptians, and the overall idea and main shape of a ship has never been changed in any way, as if they made a perfection on the first try.
Unknown said…
As for the Yamato ship, I heard about it earlier thanks to my brother who, as a hobby, used to make models of ships and aircraft. I'm not passionate about history, but at school I liked sections about the Second World War. I was most interested in social changes than war tactics. Basically, I have a favorite car and it's a Mustang gt.
1. Have you ever heard about Yamato or Musashi?
No, never ! And it's surprising for me when I was Young a read quite a lot about WW2 - I knew a lot of tanks and planes, but nothing about navy. Strange - I think that a role of navy was underestimated.

2. Are you keen on World War II or on history in general?
I used to be - I was a fan of "Call of Duty" games, and I was reading quite a lot about that times.

3. Yamato and Musashi are one of my favourite battleships. Do you have any favourite vehicles (ships, planes, tanks, cars or anything – they don't have to be connected to World War II)?
German's tank Tiger used to be one of my favourites, I was also keen on Spitfire aircraft.
Now I don't have any favourite vehicles
I am glad that thanks to my presentation, you are considering finding out more about naval warfare. I hope you will find something interesting for you.
I'm really happy that my presentation was interesting for you. If you like world war 2 aircraft then you may consider finding out more about Pacific battles, which often involved dozens of aircraft and ships.
I am not very into aircraft, but Ambrosini SAI.207 really looks beautiful. One of my favourite planes is Dornier Do 335, did you heard about it?
It is nice to hear that you also find ships interesting. I am not 100% sure which HMS Victoria you meant, because there were at least 2 ships with that name but I assume that your favourite ships was the ship of the line from 1859. Did you heard about HMS Victoria from 1887?
I have to admit, that despite I found world war 2 battleships most interesting, wooden ships of the line are for me, the most beautiful ships ever created.
When I was in high school, I was also making the models of ships, just like your brother.
I am glad that you decide to read my presentation, even if it isn't most interesting topic for you, thank you.
Thank you for your comment. I fully understand that history can not interesting for someone. Actually, I also don't like learning dates etc, I am mostly keen on technical aspects of world war 2.
If you are not familiar with the navy and you like world war 2, then you can discover a lot of extremely interesting facts in these field. It is true that most of battles took place on the land, but there were also hundreds of naval battles. What is more ships are the biggest war machines created by humans, so at least for me, it is very interesting to read about naval warfare.
I also played Call of Duty, my favourite one was "World at War" and which was yours favourite?
When it comes to the tanks I also find German tanks amazing. Despite the characteristics the had very nice design, for me Tiger II is one of most beautiful machines.
Unknown said…
I've heard about those ships. Yamato is literally a meme. She was so slow that every time she went to the battle after the end. And then, operation Ten-Go.

I am really into history, especially when it comes to arms races of any kind, I've read a lot about WWII. If we are talking about naval war, my favorite battle is Battle of Midway. And that is also one of my favorite Sabaton songs.

I enjoy Israel's Merkavas for some reason. While being a modern tank, they have this little futuristic look.
Unknown said…

1. Have you ever heard about Yamato or Musashi?
I have heard about Yamato a lot. It is a symbol of one of most powerful dreadnought ever created. Just its name sends shivers down my spine.

2. Are you keen on World War II or on history in general?
A bit yes. I used to read a lot about it, but mostly focusing on fighting in Europa and Africa, tactics used and weapons, aircraft, tanks etc. I don't know that much on war on the Pacific.
3. Yamato and Musashi are one of my favourite battleships. Do you have any favourite vehicles (ships, planes, tanks, cars or anything – they don't have to be connected to World War II)?
Spitfire. It is a symbol. An idea. And ideas are bulletproof. Oke, joke, spitfire was not bulletproof, nor the best plane out there, but I must say that it was very symbolic.
Unknown said…
I have never heard. After reading this presentation, I can say something more.

Yes, I'm interested in history. Is specifically World War 2? It's hard to tell me, but I'm sure too. I like stories of what happened hundreds of years ago or even thousands.

Yes, I love cars very much and it's hard for me to tell you which one. It's rather often changes every now and then. Now I really like Tesla and the very idea of ​​electric cars.
Piotr Ciesla said…
1. Have you ever heard about Yamato or Musashi?
No unfortunately it is my first time i heare about it. From photos it look magnificant. I wouldynt like to face it during the war.
2. Are you keen on World War II or on history in general?
No history was never my thing. I always loved math and phisics.
3. Yamato and Musashi are one of my favourite battleships. Do you have any favourite vehicles (ships, planes, tanks, cars or anything – they don't have to be connected to World War II)?
Yes it is Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. It was the greatest achevment in that years. it was Big and mighty in air it was 32 m wide and had star engine.
s18716 said…
1. Have you ever heard about Yamato or Musashi?
No, I never heard of them. But this is very interesting information. I think the history of the Second World War will always be interesting and relevant.
2. Are you keen on World War II or on history in general?
I got into the history of the Second World War very early. And I can say that I am passionate about history to this day.
3. Yamato and Musashi are one of my favourite battleships. Do you have any favourite vehicles (ships, planes, tanks, cars or anything – they don't have to be connected to World War II)?
If we touch on military vehicles of the Second World War, the first thing that comes to mind is the T-34 and Panther tanks. Perhaps one of the most powerful guns at the time.
The Japanese did foresee the development of the aircraft. Before Yamato was commissioned they had already successfully attacked Pearl Harbor, and also sank the HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales using air power. They were very well aware that all of their capital ships were vulnerable. However, the Navy was slow to adopt the carrier. The Yamato and Musashi were symbols of national pride, and the Admiralty was still sticking to the Nelsonian view of naval combat that centered around large guns in fleet action. They believed that another Tsushima Sea like battle (1905, which btw Japan won by sinking an entire Russian fleet) was what they had to be ready for.
They went on a air craft carrier conversion program converting passenger liners and sea plane tenders into carriers. Only one problem: There weren't enough pilots to crew them. Not to mention it was too late.
Bartosz Barnat said…
I haven't heard about them. It's first time for me seeing them. Its really interesting that they have such an amazing battleships in world war II.

I didn't listen in history class to be honest but I love learning history by watching some documentary films. It's really interesting and you can learn a lot from field tacticians or any other stuff that was taking place in the past.

My favourite vehicle is motorcycle and I love riding on it, this adrenaline is just an amazing feeling to experience. The best motorcycles that I just admire are the ones created by company BMW. The best model for me is S1000 RR or naked version of it, GS 1200 Adventure and R ones. Right now I have F800R because polish motorcycle licence right now is rly .... and I couldn't ride any big cc bikes. The second bike that I have is GS 1200 Adventure and it's a beast! I really advice you to try it.
Unknown said…
Yes, I've heard about this battleship before. Probably one of the most feared ships of WW2.
I'm not very interested in history, but from time to time I like watching some documentaries on a particular event from history. But I also like watching documentaries about specific war machine of WW2.
If we are talking about the WW2 period than my favorite war machine of that era would probably be F-4U. That aircraft is considered one of the best aircraft of WW2. It was quick and deadly. No wonders Japanese pilots avoided getting into the dogfight with it.
Unknown said…
I have never heard of these two ships. However, what I read today is very interesting.
I do not like history and I have terribly poor memory for dates. However, what I have read today is the only information about ships from history.
I know a bit about the history of tanks and one of my favorite tanks with appearance and functionality is Is-7. I love this tank if I could afford it - I would buy it.
1. No, probably I've never heard about this ship, or at least I was't aware that it was exactly this ship.
2. Unfortunately, when I was in the school I wasn't interested in history at all. But by the time I realized that it was a mistake. Today, I casually reading some articles about WW II. However I find Cold War a bit more interesting.
3. I quite amazed my some military vehicles. Mostly it is soviet fighter aircraft such as MIG-29, helicopters such as Mi-24, Mi-28.
Unknown said…
1. Have you ever heard about Yamato or Musashi?
Unfortunately I have never heard about those battleships. Maybe because I am not really into ships in general, but after seeing these vehicles I am very impressed.

2. Are you keen on World War II or on history in general?
I really like to study and listen about history, especially WWII. One of my favorite story is about, believe it or not, battle between german battleship Bismarck and british battleships King George V and Prince of Wales. I have heard that King George V was the biggest ship during whole WWII.

3. Yamato and Musashi are one of my favourite battleships. Do you have any favourite vehicles (ships, planes, tanks, cars or anything – they don't have to be connected to World War II)?
I am very impressed with Leonardo's first drafts of modern tank. It was round, wooden construction with weapons pointed out of the "tank". The solid roof was used to protect people inside the tank.
Yamato is probably one of the most well-known ships on the pages of the history, both due to its ludicrously sized armaments and its tragic story. I’ve heard the name of Musashi before, though I did not correlate it with the Yamato class. As far as history goes, I have rather specific interests – paying more attention to the technologies and advancements rather than who fought who over which patch of land. I don’t have a particular attachment to any vehicles, but I can see why you’d like the Yamato class battleships.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?