Skip to main content

Week 6 [20-26.04.2020] And the highest scoring word is…..


Scrabble - a word game that you have played more than once, considered one of the most popular board games in the world. One out of three American households and a half of British families have it. Do you know its history?

Source: https://www.jimnolansblog.com/2011/08/scrabble-cartoon-by-isabella-bannerman.html

It all began on Black Thursday. People who lost their jobs were looking for new sources of income. This way in 1933 an unemployed architect, Alfred Mosher Butts, invented the word game LEXIKO. The game had no board, players drew nine tiles and tried to construct words from them.

The idea for the game was born after Alfred's reading through the book “The Gold Bug”. One of the characters decoded a message by comparing symbols to letters. The author presented the frequency of letters in English words (in order of decreasing likelihood): e, a, o, i, d, h, n, r, s, t, u, y, c, f, g, l, m, w, b, k, p, q, x, z.

According to a legend, Butts determined the distribution of letters in the game after studying the first page of "The New York Times". In later years LEXIKO was refined and called CRISS CROSS WORDS. In 1948 the board was given the final shape (bonus fields) and the game name was changed to SCRABBLE. The name of the game is not accidental, scrabble means to scratch frantically. The new version of the game was a hit, after four years on the market day by day it became more and more popular.

Source: https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/a-short-history-of-scrabble/

Today, Scrabble is one of the more popular board games in the world. The board contains 255 squares with 61 premium squares. Before the game begins, players (two to four) draw one letter from the bag. The player who has a letter closest to “A” (alphabetical order), starts the game. Then the tiles return to the bag and are mixed. Players draw 7 new letters out of 100 and place them on their racks. In each round after a play player draws letters from the bag to replenish rack to seven tiles. You can only create words using the tiles that are in the official dictionary. If your word is not in the dictionary, you will lose turn. You can also use your turn to exchange any number of your tiles, not getting any points. The tiles have to form words in crossword fashion. The number of points in a given move is calculated by adding up the values ​​of all words created in a given move. The word value is the sum of the numbers on individual tiles plus additional points obtained from placing tiles on premium word squares . If you make up a word out of all your seven tiles then you'll get an additional bonus of 50 points. The aim of the game is to get the most points possible.

Source: https://www.sport.pl/ekipa-ekstremalna/1,145941,19070486,ektremalne-scrabble.html

Scrabble has been translated into 29 languages (also into Braille) and has been sold in 121 countries. In the United States tournaments have been held since 1973. Competitive Scrabble players spend many hours each day memorizing word lists from an official Scrabble dictionary. Every year World Scrabble Championships are organized. So far the highest-scoring Scrabble word is OXYPHENBUTAZONE which Benjamin Woo used in an individual game (without an opponent) and got 1782 points!

Source: https://twitter.com/collinsdict/status/807144086977347584

1. Have you ever play Scrabble? Do you like it, what was your most expensive move?
2. Have you heard of Scrabble Championships? Would you like to participate in them?
3. What is your favorite board or computer game, do you think that board games will be replaced by computer games?



Sources:
https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/a-short-history-of-scrabble/
https://scrabble.hasbro.com/en-us/history
http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1867007,00.html

Comments

1. Yes, I play Scrabble quite often. I have even my own board, but I am not very good at it. I have trouble to find a word from a collection of letters. I don’t remember my most expensive move.
2. I haven’t heard of it and since as I stated I am not very good Scrabble player I think I wouldn’t stand a chance to any Scrabble tournament there is.
3. My favorite game is shogi. It is like chess but more strategic and less brutal since you don’t “kill” pieces, but you capture them to use later to fight for you. Board games are already replaced by computer games and there is no coming back to them.
Bartosz Barnat said…
1. I really like playing scrable. I think it's really competetive game and can "refresh" your brain cells.
2. I haven't heard of scrable championships but I didn't know about tetris championships too ;). I don't want to take part in them because I was never that good in scrable.

3. I don't think board games will ever replace computer games. Computer games are just more popular and easier to get and start to play. You have to spend some time to learn the rules of board games and this is what mostly stop people from getting into it. My favourite board games is chaos in the old world for now. When it comes to computer games I really enjoy call of duty modern warfare right now (new).
Maciej Sadoś said…
1. I indeed have played Scrabble a couple of times in my life. I enjoy the game even if sometimes it takes too long for a person to do his/her move. I can't remember any of my scores unfortunately.

2. I know that there are some championships, like probably in every game. But I've never seen any of them neither on the Internet nor in real life. I wouldn't want to participate in such a competition - I prefer different activities. The recreational play from time to time with family is enough for me.

3. My favorite board game is probably Remik. At least it's the one I play the most often. I don't think board games will be replaced by computer games. Generally it's not the computer games' goal to replace board games and both of them have their targeted audition. There must be a products diversity on the market.
1. I tried to play but it was a long time ago. Unfortunately, I don't even know if I played according to all the rules of the game.

2. I haven't heard about it. However, if I prepared myself earlier, I think it would be an interesting challenge. I think it's always worth starting with a mini competition in a group of friends.

3. I don't play computer games and I like poker the most. I think it is unlikely that board games will be completely replaced by computer games - recently they are an increasingly popular way to spend time with household members or friends.
Ela said…
Thank you for the comments! I've never heard of shogi, you made me curious, I have to try to play it one day.
MichalB said…
1. Have you ever play Scrabble? Do you like it, what was your most expensive move?

I played scrabble a long time ago. This is a fantastic game that offers many possibilities. Especially when we start playing it in a language other than ours, even in English. I don't remember the highest result I achieved, but the fun was always fun.

2. Have you heard of Scrabble Championships? Would you like to participate in them?

I heard, but I never planned to attend. I know that this isn't a simple game so I'm not surprised that there are championships organized in it. To be honest I never even watched the coverage of this event.

3. What is your favorite board or computer game, do you think that board games will be replaced by computer games?

Heroes of the Might and Magic III is my favorite game. I've been playing it since it was released, and before I played version II. The second one is Plants vs Zombies II, I used to play version I before. Will video games replace board games I don't know. I often play board games with my children, despite consoles, computers and tablets at home.
Olga Przytula said…
1. Oh, sure I did! It was quite popular game in our family during holidays and different occasions. I think it is a good way to learn your children creative thinking, correct spelling and playing while learning something so I do like it and would like to play it especially with my kids. I have no idea what was my most expensive move, unfortunately I don’t remember.

2. No, I have never heard about that, but I think must be quite challenging game, as you must be a walking dictionary to actually have a chance of winning. I think it can be as mentally engaging as chess or other intellectual games. I wouldn’t like to participate in them myself, as I don’t like this kind of activities 

3. I hope not! There is something magical in board games and I hope it is impossible to replace them with computer version in the nearby future. There is this game called “Kolejka” that I enjoy quite much, not only because of its “gaming aspects”, but also, because my brother gets really competitive while we play and my sister-in-law and I always laugh our heads off when he gets mad at us for laughing at him :D
Ela said…
I'm glad that you like playing scrabble, practice makes perfect and you can certainly learn to play it better. Tournament players learn words by heart and use different forms of tactics.
Ela said…
Thanks for comments. Definitely computer games shouldn't displace board games!
Ela said…
Thanks for the answers. Scrabble tournament game is governed by its own rules, but there're plenty of variations of the game: some of the players put together only words that they know the meaning, others on a given topic. The most important thing is to make the game fun!
Ela said…
I'm very happy that you like to play scrabble and you think that computer games will not replace board games!
Ela said…
Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately, with this walking dictionary you're right, people playing in tournaments learn words by heart, unfortunately very often they have no idea about their meanings! I also hope that computational games won't replace board games, it would be a very strange world.
1. Have you ever play Scrabble? Do you like it, what was your most expensive move?
Yes, I have and I really like it. I like playing games with using words. But unfortunately, I don't remember what my most expensive move in Scrabble was.

2. Have you heard of Scrabble Championships? Would you like to participate in them?
Yes, I have heard about it but I don't think I am good enough to participate in them. I like play Scrabble but only to have fun with friends. Championships or other competitions are too stressful for me.

3. What is your favorite board or computer game, do you think that board games will be replaced by computer games?
My favourite board gamme is "Stworze". It's a little bit complicated and beautiful board game with Slavic vibes and really long gameplay's time. I don't think that board games will be replaced by computer games. Of course there is a lot of applications like Tabletop Simulator which are used to make boards for playing online with friends (e.g. we can play chess or some card games there or make battlefield for RPG session instead of Roll20), but traditional board games are still popular enough to survive on this world.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?