Skip to main content

Week 9 [09.12-15.12.19] Original homework idea: to be a ninja


First-year Japanese student received the highest mark for an essay written in invisible ink. So, how was it?           
Eimi Haga, 19, a first-year student of history department at Mie University who studies ninja history, was supposed to write an essay about visiting the Ninja Museum of Igaryu. However, instead of writing, she handed to the teacher a blank sheet of paper.
In fact, it was an essay written using the “Aburidashi” technique - letters in invisible ink. Ninja used this technique to transmit secret letters and messages.There are many recipes for making invisible ink. Eimi Haga made ink according to an ancient recipe used in ninja time - from soybeans. Before writing an essay, Ms Haga needed to prepare ink. To do this, she soaked soybeans in water for several hours and prepared an extract from them. She mixed the extract with water.
 


"It is something I learned through a book when I was littleI just hoped that no-one would come up with the same idea," said Eimi Haga in an interview with the BBC.
Eimi Haga since childhood had been interested in the culture and life of the ninja - interest appeared after she watched the Nintama Rantaro anime series talking about the ninja.
"When the professor said that he would praise the creative approach, I decided that I would write an essay that would be different from the work of other students," the freshman says.
"I thought for a bit and it occurred to me to write an essay using the Aburidashi technique," the girl says.
In order to read the message written in such a technique, it is necessary to heat the paper, holding it above the fire.It took the student more than 10 hours to prepare the ink. After the ink was ready, Ms Haga set to writing an essay — with a brush, on traditional Japanese washi paper. To make sure that her composition did not go to the rubbish bin, Ms Haga left in the margins - in ordinary ink  a note: "heat the paper."

 

The teacher, Professor Yuji Yamada, admitted that at first he was very surprised to see a blank sheet of paper with a note.
"I had seen such reports written in code, but never seen one done in aburidashi," the professor admitted.
"To tell the truth, I had a little doubt that the words would come out clearly. But when I actually heated the paper over the gas stove in my house, the words appeared very clearly and I thought 'Well done! " - says Yuji Yamada.
"I didn't hesitate to give the report full marks - even though I didn't read it to the very end because I thought I should leave some part of the paper unheated, in case the media would somehow find this and take a picture." - says the professor.
According to the student, her composition attracts more attention to itself by the technique of execution, but not by content.
"I was sure that the professor would at least appreciate my efforts to get the building done creatively. Therefore, I was not very worried about the fact that I could get a low rating. The content of the composition is nothing particularly original," says Eimi Haga.

Sources:


1.        Did you do your homework using original ideas?
2.        What secret ninja techniques are you aware of? Or what interesting fact from their lifestyle do you know?
3.        What do you feel after going to museums? Does it inspire you?

Comments

It seems to me that I was boring and did housework in a traditional way. But it's good as our imagination creeps in everywhere.

I don't know much about ninja, but I watched Lego Ninjago with my younger brother. It's a funny fairy tale. Ninja come from Japan and use the dark to creep.

I like to see exhibits in museums and imagine how people used to live. But this is not a job that I do often. It does not inspire me, but it stimulates the brain to think and pleases the eye.
s18716 said…
You see, it would be better introducing originality into your homework. It seems to me that this girl can take advantage of this fact when applying for a future job. So it's never too late.
Olha Romaniuk said…
1. Yes, sometimes this inspiration comes :)
2. Unfortunately, I am not fond of Japanese culture and do not know such subtleties.
3 Well, I don't know about inspiration, but going to museums develops us as individuals.
1. Yes, I have several techniques, one of them is not doing it :). After that I do my homework in a traditional way

2. I don't know much ninja techniques, but if you know some, share it, I will gladly teach you;)

3. I love going to the museum, if there is an interesting exhibition, I do it with pleasure. Overall, I'm very interested in history
and the museum is a good place to develop your interests. If you know any nice museum in Warsaw or the surrounding area - share the information!
Yubin said…
1. Did you do your homework using original ideas?
I wish I could do my homework by siri or AI, but it seems kinda impossible now, so I basically do my homework in a normal way.

2. What secret ninja techniques are you aware of? Or what interesting fact from their lifestyle do you know?
I used to watch many Japanese ninja cartoon in TV when I was a kid, so I know that ninja is like a spy, they are good at hiding themselves and they only wear dark clothes, so I guess it is why this girl try to hide her homework as a ninja, and ninja use ninja darts and Katana which is a ninja sword.

3. What do you feel after going to museums? Does it inspire you?
I like visiting museums, I like to imagine the scene and life of ancient times by watching the historical relics, I would like to experience living 2000 years ago if possible, at least I want to try it for a month.

Anton Chechel said…
1.Did you do your homework using original ideas?
I can't say that I used such interesting ideas to do my homework, but something interesting to cheer up the teacher usually wrote. I can't give any example right now because these were some of the small things that were used in context, so I just don't remember.
2.What secret ninja techniques are you aware of? Or what interesting fact from their lifestyle do you know?
All I know about ninja techniques is that their name comes from the art of masking ninjutsu, which was first invented not even by them, but by some Japanese monks 2-3 centuries before the appearance of ninjas themselves. And with regard to his lifestyle, I know that, contrary to myth, they almost never wore black suits, because they were mostly masking among people rather than wading into someone's rooms at night. But in the country they were moving in the really interesting clothes of the monks of the komuso - they wore instead of headdresses wicker baskets that completely covered their faces. The ninjas themselves were nothing more than a league of hired killers, spies and saboteurs.
3.What do you feel after going to museums? Does it inspire you?
I love going to history museums and being transported in ancient times, you feel like you are present at those events in those rooms. And this is a great inspiration for the study of history in order to draw upon the knowledge of the generations and thereby to perfect themselves. Because everything that is happening has happened before, just it's looking more modern now, and accordingly you can respond to such events as they once did, but taking into account their mistakes, which in turn makes you more successful. So yes, I feel very inspired after hiking to museums.
No, I have never finished my homework using some original ideas. I always hated homework because I always thought that being in school is my time to work and study and my time in home is my time to rest from learning and do whatever I want. So, I always did homework at the last moment to just make it done. I don’t really know much about ninjas. I know 3 facts about them, but I don’t even know if this is true. First of all they have this amazing ability to move around without making any sound, second of all they could fight with swords on a champion level and last but not least they threw shurikens (sharp metal stars) as deadly as other people use guns. You are asking if going to museum is inspiring activity. To be honest I always hated museums and I was always very bored there. So I visit museums very rarely and I don’t really like to do it.
Kgajewska said…
1. No i have never finished my homework with some original/creative or funny ideas. To be honest I usually didn't do them at all.. maybe that's why. In our education system it's hard to see something creative.
2.I don't know much about ninja, but I've heard that they can move without making any noise.
3. To be fair I don't like typical museum, it bores me. Maybe I haven't been in intresting one yet and I should keep visiting them.
Never ever. I was always lazy and very rarely prepared homework at all. Nothing at all, I’ve seen Naruto anime, but I don’t know anything that could help answer the question about secret ninja techniques. I don’t like museums that much. Most of the times I forget everything in hour after visiting it, so it doesn’t inspire me.
Thank you , now I know at least this awesome old ninja technique.
Anna Moskalenko said…
Well, when I was in high school my friends and I were tasked with some interesting presentation about some historical events and people and we decided to take it one step further and make a video reproducing those events :) We made a figurines with some clay and made them move using this method of animation when you move the figurines little by little and take a lot of photos. It was extremely time consuming but we loved that and teacher appreciated it also.
I know totally nothing about ninja techniques or ninjas in general. The things I saw in films probably have nothing in common with the real ninjas :)
It depends on the type of museum. I love modernised museums with the interaction technics, historical are usually quite boring for me.
Mykola Suprun said…
1) Yes, I do. But, apparently, my understanding of what constitutes original and clever is extremely different from what most of my teachers consider as reasonable, which is regrettable.
2) I'm not a ninja, so I'm not educated on their secret techniques, but in history, there were cases of ninjas having close to ten real families that were located in the different prefectures of Japan and were completely unaware of each other existence, all of this just for the goal of conspiration. I don't know how they managed to deal with so many wives at the same time, but in order to please so many women at once, some very strong and very secret techniques should be necessary.
3)I like the good ones and hate bad ones. I guess it is the best way to describe how I feel about them.
1. As a child I had homework to tell about my family. So with the help of my parents, I made a big geanalogical tree of my whole family, from my great grandparents to me. It was not required, but I got the best grade for it! I don't know if this counts as an answer to a question, but it's always something
2. So they only attacked at night, that's why they dressed only black things. Also they mastered movement around the buildings to perfection and they could move without making any noise.
3. It depends. Most of the time I just feel good that I went to museum and saw something new. But I don't feel that inspires me

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?