Skip to main content

Week 7 [26-02.12.18] A hobby review – Warhammer 40000

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. This is the motto of the enormously huge universe of the Warhammer 40000, and it perfectly describes what’s going on here. The miniature wargame Warhammer 40000 was created in 1987 by Games Workshop as a sci-fi variation of already existing at that moment Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Warhammer 40000, or simply WH40k, has changed a lot since the first appearance – multiple wargames within this universe and the whole library part have been emerging for almost 30 years of its existence, and the era of videogames has also influenced this universe.
            For almost 30 years of the existence of the universe, two main parts of the community have been formed. The first one are the board game players. First of all, it is important to understand that Warhammer 40000 board game is an expensive hobby. Learning the rules, creating an army, decoration of the battlefield require a lot of dedication and as much money from the player. The other big part of the community are theorists. They enjoy reading books about the universe, discuss different topics on the forums, but they are far away from the board game itself. Of course, there are a lot of people, who do both since it all depends on how strong your dedication to the Warhammer 40k is, like, for example, me. This week I want to describe these huge parts of the hobby individually and tell about how to get familiar with the Grim and Dark Universe of the Eternal War.

Board Game

This is where everything started. The Warhammer 40000 board game remains the main product in this product series from the moment it was created.
From time to time, rules changed, new factions or playable models were introduced, new editions were written. Now we are at the 8th edition and this is the best time to start with WH40k board game. The simplified rules in comparison to previous editions (which frustrates me a little) and the introduction of “Start collecting…” kits make it easier to rush into the battlefield in the short term. The army assembly looks as follows. Each unit costs some points, based on its power and equipment. Also, each unit has its own battlefield role – if your army is built to one of the so-called “battle-forged” army templates, you will receive some tactical and strategic advantage. Basically, the choice of adding the specific unit in your army is based on these two things. In “Start collecting…” kits you will usually receive a battlefield-ready army with around 250 points of cost. From here you can expand your army to match 500, 1000, 2000 or other game formats.

The battle between Imperial Knights and Necrons
Source: Personal archives
The other side of the board game is collecting and personalizing. WH40k board game provides almost infinite possibilities for self-expression. In terms of appearance, you can create a unique army, with its own name and unique colour scheme and the game even encourages you to do so. You can create your own Space Marines chapter, your own Ork warband, your own warband of Chaos, etc.  And if you are not satisfied with the official models by Games Workshop, you can always convert some of them into something new.

Squats - dwarf models from Warhammer Fantasy Battles converted into a faction from the old lore of WH40k
Source: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/08/showcase-squats-40k-duardin-mashup.html
Forgeworld miniature of Horus the Warmaster, Primarch of the Sons of Horus
Source: 
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-FI/Horus-the-Warmaster-Primarch-of-the-Sons-of-Horus
If you are a lazy person, but still you are not satisfied with official models, you can try the ones produced by the Forge world, the subsidiary of the Games Workshop. Most of the models from there have their own rules and can be used on the battlefield. Here you can also buy miniatures and rules for them that are based on the biggest book series of the WH40k universe called “The Horus Heresy”.
Death Korps of Krieg Subterranean Assault Squad from Forge WorldSource: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-FI/FW-Home
The artistic part of the board game is not limited by miniatures. To fight a war, you need a battlefield. Here you can also go crazy. Games Workshop provides a range of props for assembling battlefields, but here is much easier to come up with something unique than with miniatures. Here some examples:

Different Battlefields
Source:  https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/20410-Game%20Table%2C%20Junkyard%2C%20Orks%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.html
Each game is the trial of your strategic and tactical skills. Moving your units on the battlefield, coming up with tactical solutions, achieving victories from small, like achieving tactical task, to big, like winning a game make you feel like:
Imperial Comissar
Source: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/347410558731673364/?lp=true
Or like:
Ork Warboss
Source: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/404690716505288318/?lp=true

Or in even more different way, depending on the faction and playing style of your choice. 
Apart from the basic WH40k board game, there are a couple of games in the same setting but with specific rules:

  • Blackstone fortress – the newest release. It tells the story about the Explorers looking for the old technologies in the ancient space station, corrupted by the Chaos.
  • Kill Team – skirmish wargame about the elite units.
  • Necromunda – skirmish wargame about gangs in the abandoned hive city.
  • Speed Freeks – a game about Orks roaming around in the Mad Max-like cars (probably an updated variation of the Gorkamorka).
  • Battlefleet Gothic – a wargame about battles between spaceships.
  • Aeronautica Imperialis – a wargame about battles in the skies.
  • Space Hulk – a wargame about the unit of Space Marines in terminator armor cleaning the corridors of the giant spaceship infected by genestealers (in some way it was inspired by Alien franchise).
  • Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay – a series of roleplay games in WH40k universe, which includes “Dark Heresy” (about the agents of Inquisition), “Rogue Trader” (about space traders and xeno-races) and “Deathwatch” (about Space Marines).

Books

The course of events in the Warhammer 40000 universe goes on the galactic scale, where hundreds of unique characters, from regular soldiers to gods themselves, fight for their own causes. The universe wouldn’t even exist without detailed and versatile lore. It is a dark, grim and violent world, where each day the faith and strength of one is tested, where millions die on the battlefields in a couple of hours, where every day brings humanity closer to the darkness. Nowadays, there exist an enormous number of books, combined in different series, published by another Games Workshop subsidiary called Black Library. Some of them concentrate on the story around an event that shaped the whole universe, like “The Horus Heresy”, some of them tell about the fate of one specific character, like “Eisenhorn”. Most of them also include brilliant official artworks.
The duel between the Emperor and Horus on the bridge of “Vengeful Spirit” – main event of “The Horus Heresy”
Source: https://coub.com/view/15bh38 (this is epic!!!)




Book series, where story is concentrated around one specific character: Ultramarine Uriel Ventris, Comissar Ciaphas Cain, Inquisitor Eisenhorn (from top to bottom)
Source: 
https://www.blacklibrary.com
Warhammer 40000 universe’s lore is oriented on the one big faction, Imperium of Mankind and its antagonist, the Chaos. It doesn’t mean that all other factions are forgotten or not elaborated enough, it just means that the lion's share of all books and stories are built around the Imperium. In accordance with this fact, I’ve decided to start with “The Horus Heresy” book series……Started in 2006, this ongoing book series created by cooperation of Black Library’s writers now includes more than 50 books, small sub-series called “Primarchs” and a series of audiobooks. The events in this series take place at the end of 31st millennium, 10000 years before what we have now. This series describes, how and by who the universe of WH40k was shaped and introduces the basic lore terminology.
It is a time of legend. Mighty heroes battle for the right to rule the galaxy. The vast armies of the Emperor of Earth have conquered the galaxy in a Great Crusade - the myriad alien races have been smashed by the Emperor's elite warriors and wiped from the face of history. The dawn of a new age of supremacy for humanity beckons. Gleaming citadels of marble and gold celebrate the many victories of the Emperor. Triumphs are raised on a million worlds to record the epic deeds of his most powerful and deadly warriors. First and foremost amongst these are the primarchs, superheroic beings who have led the Emperor's armies of Space Marines in victory after victory. They are unstoppable and magnificent, the pinnacle of the Emperor's genetic experimentation. The Space Marines are the mightiest human warriors the galaxy has ever known, each capable of besting a hundred normal men or more in combat. Organised into vast armies of tens of thousands called Legions, the Space Marines and their primarch leaders conquer the galaxy in the name of the Emperor. Chief amongst the primarchs is Horus, called the Glorious, the Brightest Star, favourite of the Emperor, and like a son unto him. He is the Warmaster, the commander-in-chief of the Emperor's military might, subjugator of a thousand worlds and conqueror of the galaxy. He is a warrior without peer, a diplomat supreme. As the flames of war spread through the Imperium, mankind's champions will all be put to the ultimate test.
Introduction from the books from "The Horus Heresy"

Important note: Black Library books should not be seen as 100% consistent with lore. Of course, the general story, events, main characters and their destiny correspond to the official lore, I’m talking about some small details, secondary characters, stuff like that. The truly lore-consistent material would be faction’s codex (the newest ones) and fluff-bibles. 

Fanart

A couple of words about fanart before the end.

What is the good fiction universe without fanart? WH40k universe provides an enormous number of possibilities to express your vision of it or its separate elements. Here, as in everywhere, you can find music, art and fanfiction created by the fans. And of course, the model conversion also belongs here. I want to show you one of the examples. This video includes the examples of musical and artistic fanart of WH40k. 


Sources

  1. http://www.lexicanum.com/
  2. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Warhammer-40-000
  3. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-FI/FW-Home
  4. https://www.blacklibrary.com/
  5. My own experience gained from played games and read books.

Questions


  1. If you were familiar with Warhammer 40k universe before, please, share your experience. If you weren’t, please tell us, does such kind of the hobby suits you? What would you prefer - the board game, the books or both?
  2. As you can see, I am a huge fan of the WH40k. Please share what you are a fan of.
  3. Do you know some other not so popular fictional universes that exist in many kinds of media products? Please, tell us about them.
  4. If you have any questions regarding the presented hobby, I’d be glad to answer them.  

Comments

For the emperor!

Glad that I am not the only one board gamer here. Did you check out Graal at the Blue city? It is a club here, in Warsaw, where you can play some board games if you like. Although I am more of an Magic: The Gathering fan, I would enjoy some battles in Warhammer.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Unfortunately, my space hulk is not designed for warp travels. I don't want to bring it from Ukraine to Poland, because of the possible damage to the miniatures. But if I'll stay in Warsaw after studies, I will probably reconsider this.

Hydra Dominatus!
Bartosz Barnat said…
Hey to me honest it's the best presentation I read so far. I heard about WH40k before from my friends and had experience with a computer game (Warhammer 4000 space marines) but played it only for a few hours. I'm not a fan of this type of books but I think I will check them out because you never know ;). I played a board game called Chaos in the old World and I think it was based on WH40k world, I'm not sure about that but someone said it to me. I really enjoy playing this board game it's really balanced and you can do insane plays in it. Highly recommend checking it out.

I'm a fan of snowboarding and new things that come out, like boards, new bindings and new tricks that someone did. I'm a fan of Witcher written by Andrzej Sapkowski and games that were created By Project RED, so im looking forward to this new series beeing created by Netflix. I love Game of thrones books and series, I'm reading forums just to see if someone did find out what will happend to some character. There is just a lot of things that I'm really fascinated with when it comes to series, books and games.

Well I think that World of Warcraft and it's lore is really huge, there are books too and it was really popular when I was young that whenever I went I heard someone talking about that. I really recommend chencking it out, if you don't know if you would like it I highly recommend listening to an audiobook: The Tomb of Sargeras that is free on world of warcraft website: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20220886/the-tomb-of-sargeras-audio-drama (there is polish and english version).

Well if I would want to start going into WH40k world what would you recommend at first, books or board games? If so which one?

Unknown said…
Chaos in the old World is based on Warhammer universe, but on Warhammer Fantasy Battles one. As far as I know, FB also has lore as huge as 40k, but I haven't check it simply because I am more sci-fi guy than fantasy guy.

If you are into such books like "Witcher" and "Game of Thrones", you will definitely enjoy Wh40k universe.

Thank you for your suggestion about Warcfraft, I will definitely take a look at it.

If you want to get familiar with the universe, the best option is definitely books. I'd recommend to start from "The Horus Heresy" book series. If you find it too huge (like I wrote, 50+ books and still ongoing), you can start with small book series like "Eisenhorn", "Ciaphas Cain" or "Gaunt's Ghosts". If you will face troubles with understanding the lore while reading, I recommend to search for information on http://www.lexicanum.com/, but be careful about spoilers.
Unknown said…
Fictitious world has a great power. It can engage for long time every person. My experience get underway when I was young like 10. My friend said that he seen great samll warriors made from plastic which we can use paint and brushes. I was excited because I keen on shape anything. I went to shop and I decided to buy my first figures and they were of course from universe Warhammer 40k. I would pick Space Marine but my friend already bought marines ;( so I took Imperial Guard because at that time I really liked the armed forces. I created special dummer with forest, river with small lake and plenty ruins. I have never had chance to read books about WH40K. Regarding about universe WH I’m interested in Warhammer Sigmar Age, I prefer age with sword and magic than plasma rifles. For now I collect Idoneth Deepkin may in the future and I’ll play wtih other. I consider it’s very realaxing. Mainly my hobby is cooking, volleyball and computer games. Maybe it’s simple but when I create something to eat and It will be taste I will be the happiest person on world. I think about cooking like puzle you have choose ingredients and it can be everything what you have in fridge. I have played many games and for me the best universe is The Elder Scrolls. Every characters have own personality. What I like it. I can make story my own characters as I prefer.
Bartosz Barnat said…
Thanks ;) Will check it out. If it's that good to do a presentation about it I will do that soon I guess.
Yes, I am familiar with Warhammer 40k universe. When I was in highschool, lot of my friends were totally into it. What is more I was playing a lot with my best friend in Dawn of War games via LAN. I was enjoying it, even if we mostly were getting beaten by AI, because my friend loved to set highest difficulty level and two of us were facing 3 or 4 furious computers.
I can’t say I am a huge fan of anything, in a way some people are. I think the closest I am to huge fan is when it comes to Elder Scrolls Online game. I am really enjoying it and I am playing regularly for 2 or 3 years. The game itself is huge, it has enormous open world, deep mechanics and tons of things to do.
I think many fictional universes, especially from computer games, exist in many kinds of media. Personally, I have readed books from Stalker and metro 2033 universe but I have seen books from Diablo universe for example.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I also spent a lot of hours playing Dawn of War. In fact, this game actually introduce me the WH40k Universe to me. Most of the board game fans actually don't really like it. There are a lot of reasons, but here is a couple of them:

1. Space Marines are one of the mascots of the WH40k, and here they are represented by no-name order, that had no lore, except three lines in the old "White Dwarf" magazine.

2. The community became flooded by people that are toxic towards the origins of the universe, proclaiming the video game the only one true Warhammer product.

But in my personal opinion, Dawn of War is really good game. It's a shame that Dawn of War III is such a disappointment. This game series had a great potential.

Have you played Dawn of War with add-ons, like Soulstorm or Dark Crusade? Have you tried it with mods, like Apocalypse or 30k? Try it, especially in multiplayer. Also, there is a Warhammer mod for "Men of War: Assault Squad". It is still WiP, but what was already done is impressive.
I am familiar with a Warhammer 40K universe mainly through games. The Dark Crudsade warhammer game was gifted to one of my friends on birthday and we've spent a whole week playing and trying to determine what is opur favourite race and faction. Warhammer universce is extremely cool because of it's diversity and everyone can find something that one likes in this universe. Unfortunately last 40K game was a huge disaster whch is a shame. But on the other hand a Warhammer Fantasy battles universe is being strong with masterpiece Warhammer Total war, and this universe for me is as cool as 40K. SOmetimes i find myself reading lore of universe for hours and can't stop being surprised how developed it is.
Unknown said…
I agree, DoW III is a disaster. I still can't stop laughing when I imagine Gabriel Angelos making frontflips in terminator power armor. I can't understand why they have made so many poor design choices in this game. So much potential just wasted.

I probably should start stalking Warhammer Total War in Steam, trying to catch the discounts. I've played the demo on Warsaw Games Week two years ago and it was brilliant.

I take it you've read a lot of Warhammer Fantasy lore and you enjoyed it. Can you recommend me something, some books, for example?
Vladlen Kyselov said…
I have Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and it is the only game I enjoyed from Warhammer series. Maybe I have missed one good game among those series? I didn`t read books as well so I can`t really call myself a fan of Warhammer.
Unknown said…
I was not familiar with Warhammer 40K universe before but I think that it would suit me and for the beginning, I would like to play board games and if I liked this universe I would read some books.
I am a big fan of DC and Marvel universe. I like playing video games with characters from these universes and reading comics from DC and Marvel, especially with Batman.
To be fair I don't know any other-not so popular fictional universes that exist in many kinds of media products. I know Dungeons & Dragons but this is very popular RPG.
Filip Sawicki said…
I’m not a huge fan of wh40k but from time to time I read some interesting stories of various races from Wikipedia or other internet sources. I used to collect and play with tau figures in my secondary school as it was very popular back then. Apart from Warhammer I also take pleasure in diving into Star Wars universe. However if I had to choose one of them Warhammer would win by a tiny bit.
In past I've heard it's not like Dark Matter really exists as such - it's just a theoretical construct which can explain what's going on around us in the universe. But the truth is, as stated in the video, we don't really know what we will find if we do enough of those experiments. So Dark Matter as such might not even exist. We just don't know how to explain the universe.
You need to remember that physics really creates just models of the universe. It doesn't explain what exactly is going on, but it finds some kind of mathematical constructs which can explain what we observe. So once we have enough observations, we can either verify if our model is still working or if we should change it. It's like Newton's mechanics which was enough to explain some things but then was replaced by Einstein's theories. Now we have even more complicated models like string theory and we still don't know if this one is a good model.
I think at some point we'll gather enough observation to decipher what Dark Matter actually is or can be. And if it will be a danger to us entirely depends how we will decide to use it. The same as with radioactive energy - we can use it for good or we can just blow stuff up.
Unknown said…
The new game about Mechanicus is pretty good.
Unknown said…
I am pretty sure you want to write this comment under the other presentation :)
Unknown said…
I used to play an older version of Warhammer, not 40k. I enjoyed playing it as far as I remember! I was in pramary school at that time, so it was mostly about collecting the figures for me because I wasn't good at English and the rules were too complicated for me to understand. I'm a fan of this small pieces of art! I mean correctly colored figures, I remember I was amazed seeing my friends troops, he sent them to some skillful man who did a job for him, and my small puppies were nothing comparing to his ones.

Not really. I'm not a fantasy lover, but I remember that Warhammer series has a long history. I used to play some computer games based on Warhammer story and characters.
ExoKuzo said…
So ive had couple friends who were into W40K big time and as u may know it was hard to not get to sip some 40K's story and lore alongside with how the game works. When it comes to it as a Hobby its on the expensive side, while i liked the concept of manually getting invested in the game (talking about the painting and decorating the figures) i did not like how expensive figures alone were compared to their detail. For me the price of sets weer a deal breaker when it came to W40k as a table game.

Lore on the other hand god damn its extensive and nice, i could listen for hours to what my friends were saying lore wise when they played the game.

Maybe if #D printers get better/cheaper we will see rise of W40k and similar games due to aviability of figures themselves and i hope so the concept and world is rich in design space to fit custom made part of the market and allow players to gear up for cheap.
Szymon Gibalski said…
1. If you were familiar with Warhammer 40k universe before, please, share your experience. If you weren’t, please tell us, does such kind of the hobby suits you? What would you prefer - the board game, the books or both?
- I have spent countless hours playing Dawn of War: dark crusade. Right now I play Kill Team twice a month together with my friends.
2. As you can see, I am a huge fan of the WH40k. Please share what you are a fan of.
- I am a big fan of Kill Team, it is a great board game where you can create a small army from 5 to 20, so you will not spend so much money on it and have fun for many many months.
3. Do you know some other not so popular fictional universes that exist in many kinds of media products? Please, tell us about them.
- Unfortunately no, I have only heard about the most popular ones: Warhammer, StarCraft and World of Warcraft.
Unknown said…
Cool! I want to try Kill Team myself. Can you tell, which faction do you play?
Unknown said…
I doubt that 3D printers will make WH40k models cheaper. GW greedy guys won't allow this to happen. But I can understand their price policy. That's actually why such games like GorkaMorka are dead nowadays - people decided that they are not going to buy special models for it, because they can use what they already have. Even now, you can use models that you've bought three, four, five years ago. That's why the prices are so high. They just can't sell you the models you already have in most of the cases.
I am familiar with Warhammer but not 40k just the traditional version. I actually have few wood elves Warhammer models myself. Long time ago in times of my junior high school we had an idea with my friends to start collecting and playing Warhammer board game. At the beginning we were super excited about it and we visited games work shop almost every day to learn how to build and color our figures and then how to play with them. I always liked sticking them together but coloring it was the hard part maybe because of my lack of artistic soul or maybe just lack of patience but anyway I enjoyed playing with them very much. Problem was that our enthusiasm faded not that long after it began, and we stopped playing. I think that my favorite universe is Warcraft one created by Blizzard Entertainment. I played WoW for a long years and had much much fun with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?