Skip to main content

Week 7 [21.11-27.11] The vision of future in ‘Black Mirror’ episode


If we are talking about TV series, I’m definitely not a freak. But when I decide to watch some of them – it must be very interesting and thought-provoking. As  ‘Black mirror’ is. I have no idea if anyone of you have watched it, but if not – I highly recommend it to you. Of course there are some more and less interesting episodes, but it generally in my opinion is worth watching.
Basically the whole series  presents  a future vision to us. Sometimes it might be hilarious, sometimes scary and often thought-provoking. I would like to discuss with you one of the visions presented there. I am aware not everybody has time to watch it so (sorry) I have to spoil it for you ;).  The whole series have a lot in common with technology, so I think it may interest many of you. One of the episodes is about an opportunity to talk or rather chat with a dead  person. But let’s start from the beginning. There are a couple of people, they love each other, they can’t live without each other. As it happens even now, a boyfriend called Ash spends a lot of time online sharing, posting, commenting and wasting his time on Twitter, Facebook and so on. One day he leaves  home and never comes back because of a car accident. Of course his girlfriend Martha is depressed, miserable and she doesn’t know what to do and how to manage this whole situation. At the funeral a friend of Ash and Martha – Sara offers her a strange way to cheer her up. She says that Sara can talk to her dead boyfriend even though he is already absent. At first Martha goes mad and furious, she doesn’t want to listen to Sara’s ridiculous ideas.
A few days later Martha finds out that Sara despite  Martha’s protests, has registered her in an application designed to chat with dead people.
And here is a description of an app (what’s probably the most interesting for most of you): inasmuch Ash spends a lot of time online – the Internet has a lot of data about him like his way of chatting, his voice from the videos he posted, his probable reactions for many actions and so on, so the app can allow someone to chat with him even if he’s dead. Freaky, isn’t it?

http://i0.wp.com/film.org.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/film.org.pl_brb-7.jpg?resize=780%2C387

So let’s move on. At first Martha is embarrassed (who wouldn’t be?) talking to her dead boyfriend but after some time, she feels well talking to him all the time and she slowly starts to forget that he is not real. She chats with him, talks with him on the phone and then she scouts out that there is a new, beta version of an app – she can order something like ‘mannequin’ which looks, moves and talks like her dead boyfriend.


http://67.media.tumblr.com/0643145142389ebf0233aa4496e2240b/tumblr_mk6cz3Uezx1qzoziho9_1280.png


I don’t want to be such a cruel person giving away the whole plot, so I leave it at this stage. To find out what has happened next and how this whole creepy-ridiculous story ends you have to watch it ;).
Like I said at the beginning – I would like to get your opinions about this whole thing. What do you think about it? If this kind of application would be available now – would you like to use it? What should people think about it? Be indignant or rather thankful for such a great facility? Do you think that this kind of story may happen someday? Does the Internet and its developers have any ethical limits? I’m looking forward to our discussion. 



Comments

Sylwia Pechcin said…
Wow! That;s very interesting article. To be honest I've watched this episode and for me it's very very strange and sick. I know that this kind of vision can become reality someday, but still, I think that it isn't normal.
I would definitely not use this kind of application, because I think that we have to deal with the fact that someone is no longer in our life and that's the way life goes.
Unknown said…
I thing this is an interesting idea. I will watch this serial in the future. About application, I wouldn't use it in real life. I think this application is possible but not now. There isn't a place where there is enough information about us to make artificial intelligence which is like human. I recommend serial "Westword" which I'm watching now. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in this topic.
Ihor Ahnianikov said…
I have watched a few episodes of Black Mirror, it seems to be awesome - each episode is based on a separate idea or phenomenon. You haven't spoiled this one because after reading the plot it's interesting to watch it and see how this idea is filmed anyway:)

It's a controversial topic, but I think that supply creates its own demand, and if there was such app people would use it despite ethical issues.
Unknown said…
I have never heard about this serial, but for sure I will try to watch it in free time. Thanks for your recommendation.
Unknown said…
I agree that people would use it anyway, but I don't think that's normal despite of the technology development.
Michał Pycek said…
I believe that people are so curious of expanding the scopes of science and technology that they may not have limits regarding it.
I think the whole concept is positive because it can be used to help people, but honestly it seems so artificial to me and a bit unethical because it crosses the line between what is natural and unnatural.
Unknown said…
I had only seen the first episode "Black Mirror", but after your presentation I want to see another. I think that such an application that could simulate a conversation with a dead person is possible to create, but it's only lie and in my opinon it would exceed the limits of morality. People who are missing dead loved ones probably lost in this application and they don't have real life so it could be dangerous but it's only speculation. I hope that no one would go so far as to create something like this.
Moode said…
I am really sorry for not finishing reading the article but ones you said that you will spoil it I had to quit and Black Mirror is on my “TV series to watch list”. I have heard that it is very interesting and as you write at the beginning scary too. And from what I have heard, I wonder if some of the solutions shown there will become true one day. I guess that time will show.
Maciej Główka said…
I haven't seen any of 'Black mirror' episodes, however it is on my watch list and with a little more free time i am definitely going to see it.
Your article about this episode and whole idea is really interesting. Some people are already, with help of a.i. ,trying to create something like chat with dead person based on his or her internet activity, here is an interesting article about it:
http://www.theverge.com/a/luka-artificial-intelligence-memorial-roman-mazurenko-bot
People leave so many personal data in internet that I'm sure that in few years we will see such chats. Personally i wouldn't like to have a conversation with dead person. However, for many people it would be easier to deal with for example tragic loss of someone from family.
I am really interesting in which way will this idea evolve.
KamilG said…
I have watched all episodes of "Black Mirror" and for me it's one of the best series I have ever seen. The episodes showed us how our future life might look like, with all this new technology.
In one episode the director demonstrated us how we will be able to be immortal, but the way in which the woman talked with died Ash was kinda crazy. Even more when she bought mannequin pretended to be him. For me it was incorrect way to deceive death.
Unknown said…
I once saw this episode, as I've seen all the episodes of this series including the last american third season produced by Netflix and I must admit that I am a big fan. The scenario for this series must have been writen by a very creative people well familiar with the new technologies, pulling the appropriate conclusions for the future. Of course sometimes it is exaggerated and may seem absurd, but you can not go about it too seriously, and should some sections considered as a kind of metaphor, but anyone who is interested in new technologies and the future has to watch it. The above-mentioned section is very interesting because it tells about how far technology and artificial intelligence can go, which is based on our data from the Internet, e-mails, messages and can create artificial someone with the character of a person that was formed based on thoes datas. Artificial, but very real in many ways. Very interesting topic, and actually something to worth thinking about.
Jarek_Ziem said…
Black Mirror episodes are highly disturbing. In my opinion their aim is to show us alternative realities of what could happen in our society if we will choose wrong road. Before we had Huxley or Orwell in British literature and know we have Charlie Brooker in film. I haven't seen this episode but I'll. I remember one episode with possibility of rewinding past using augmented eyes. It wasn’t happy even if this technology has huge potential, there is always the black side.
Blogger said…
Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and receive cash from every visit to your shortened urls.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?