Skip to main content

Week 11 [13.01- 19.01.2020] Ski jumping and Małyszomania


Throughout the human history, people have dreamt about flying. There are many ways to feel the
emotions of it. Ski jumping is one of them. 

Ski jumping was first performed in Norway in 19th century. The first official competition was held in
1892 on Holmenkollen in Oslo. By the end of 19th century the discipline started to rise in popularity
in countries such as Finland, Sweden and later alpine countries.


In ski jumping the jumper who achieves the biggest amount of points wins. Points are collected for -
jump distance, style marks given by five judges(only three of them count as the highest and lowest
marks are skipped) and for wind and gate factor, which affects the wind conditions and length of
inrun.

The image above shows the ski jumping hill model. The letters ‘A’ and ‘B’ show the possible places
of  gate - place where inrun begins. The zone where the ski jumper takes off after passing inrun is
represented by ‘t’. The zone between letters ‘P’ and ‘L’ shows the preferred landing area. Between
them there is ‘K’ (so called K-point), which represents the reference point for distance points
calculation.

There are various types of hills, where ski jumping competitions occur. Classes of hills are separated
into different categories by their size. Nowadays competitions are usually held on ski flying and large
hills, with some exceptions for normal hills in case of world championships and winter Olympics.


Throughout the history of ski jumping,  people have always been trying to fly further and further. In
the table below there are those “dream jumps”.

First Jump
Date
Name
Country
Distance
in history
22.11.1808
Olaf Rye
Denmark/
Norway
9.5 m
over 50 meters
16.02.1913
Ragnar Omtvedt
United States
51.5 m
over 100 meters
15.03.1936
Sepp Bradl
Austria
101.5 m
over 150 meters
11.02.1967
Lars Grini
Norway
150.0 m
over 200 meters
17.03.1994
Toni Nieminen
Finland
203.0 m
over 250 meters
14.02.2015
Peter Prevc
Slovenia
250.0 m
The history of Polish ski jumping started at the beginning of 20th century. During the interwar period
Poland had world-class jumpers such as Bronisław Czech and Stanisław Marusarz. 

In 1972 at the Olympic Games in Sapporo, Japan, Wojciech Fortuna won the first gold medal for
Poland at Winter Olympics. However, it all began at the beginning of 21st century when Adam
Małysz started to shine in the world-class competitions. During that time among Polish people there
was a trend called “Małyszomania”. 

It was kind of a sociological phenomenon. Polish people started to gain interest in both, ski jumping
as a discipline and Adam Małysz, as a sport figure. Many people raised in Poland most likely
remember the phrase “call me when Małysz is jumping”. 


Nowadays there is another trend, not as strong as Małyszomania though, called Stochomania, by
name of another Polish ski jumper Kamil Stoch.

 
Ski jumping is an amazing and very interesting sport discipline, however, it is definitely not for
everyone. Now feel free to answer questions below.

  1. Are you into ski jumping? If so, do you follow it regularly?
  2. Which mania do you prefer- Stochomania or Małyszomania? And why?
  3. Would you dare to jump yourself? Why or why not?
Sources: 

Comments

Cem Ates said…
1- Are you into ski jumping? If so, do you follow it regularly?
After a few shots, why not. it's fun.
2- Which mania do you prefer- Stochomania or Małyszomania? And why?
Małyszomania. sounds more powerful.
3-Would you dare to jump yourself? Why or why not?
no. im not an expert so better to be jumped with a mentor first.
August Micota said…
I like ski jumping as a sport discipline but not as much to watch it regularly. When coming across my dad who watches ski jumping i normally join him but i'm not following it as much.

Which mania that Małyszomania was really a big thing as everyone back then was interested in ski jumping, i'm not noticing this as much right now, but i would say that we might start noticing a new trend called Kubackomania as Dawid Kubacki won some big prize a week ago.

Oh i would looove to jump myself, i can't even imagine a feeling when gliding trough the air. Unfortunatelly i would need months of training just to try it so for me it won't happen.
Maciej P s16488 said…
I've never been into ski jumping but i used to see competitions several times when i was way younger than now. I remember Małyszomania and obviously it was the time when i've seen most of the competitions i've seen at all. I've never knew about the rules (so your post was pretty interesting read) so mostly it was just looking for results or waiting for jumper to fall when landing (as far as it is dangerous, it was also most entertaining).
I don't really mind and can't choose but because Małysz was earlier, i was younger (so aspect of sentiment comes in) and i havn't really watched Stoch that much - if i had to choose, i'd say Małyszomania but it really doesn't matter to me.
I wouldn't. Maybe from smaller hill but at this moment the effort to prepare myself for this kind of jumps is too much for me.
Kuba Berliński said…
Certainly it would be a bad idea for a newbie to start jumping on its own. I guess it needs some preparation and definitely smaller hills are the way to start.
Kuba Berliński said…
Kubackomania sounds great :). He's recently won Four Hills Tournament, so maybe in the future. I can also feel the pain as jumping on Ski Flying hill is the way to go, however, it wouldn't be possible not to get hurt if you were to start there.
Kuba Berliński said…
Glad to hear that you found that interesting. As sadist as it sounds it trully is the most interesting when somebody falls, although I feel bad for them once it happen. True that it would need so much effort to be prepare to jump on large hills, it is unfortunate.
1.In the past I have been following ski jumping very regularly, it can be said that it was my hobby. I have changed my mind a lot now, I think it is a lottery sport and the best player really does not always win, the one who really deserves it. I have the impression that the popularity of jumping is weakening.

2. I think that Małyszomania was definitely more important. At the turn of the century, our sport did not have any great successes, Adam Małysz's victories were of great importance to Poles. A modest little boy from Wisła fought with our eternal rivals from Germany - (Martin Schmit and Sven Hannawald), showing that nothing is impossible.

3. I am fairly good at skiing and sometimes I have to climb a small hill. I jumped maybe 3-4 meters, but it's not a big deal. Ski jumping is sport for fanatics.
Yurii Gevtsi said…
I was never interested in ski jumping, I only skied a couple of times in my life and only in childhood. I have never felt attracted to this sport although I wouldn't mind to learn how to snowboard. I prefer warm to cold and prefer beach sand to snow, so I would rather like to learn to surf. Would I dare to jump? Of course but not ski just because I'm not interested in it, rather I would jump with a parachute or at least bungee jumping.

Not so long ago I watched one movie about ski jumping "Eddie the Eagle" I really liked it, I would advise it to watch even for those who like me aren't interested in this sport, the film is very cool.
Kuba Berliński said…
I guess the popularity is weaking as you said, but in certain coutries. Poland for example still has huge fanbase and I wouldn't say that it is too small or anything. About the lottery, it is true that some competitions are unfair due to weather conditions, however, in the end of the season some do not matter, and the best one wins.
Kuba Berliński said…
Temperature preferences change a lot, that's true. I myself prefer hot weather to cold one, however if I go skiing with a mindset it is going to be cold then it is not a problem.

I haven't seen this movie you mentioned, might give it a try some evening :).
Mykola Suprun said…
1)No, not really. I knew this sport exists, but not much more. But I have a feeling I would like it if I try.
2)Neither, this topic is way too remote for me. But believe it is cool when a good athlete is able to make his sport popular based on his skill alone.
3)Certainly not without sufficient training, that's for sure. I kind of like being alive.
Anton Chechel said…
Are you into ski jumping? If so, do you follow it regularly?
No. I prefer simple skiing. Ski jumping seems too dangerous to me. And this is not as fun as just getting off a slope, as jumps require more concentration and responsibility, which reduces the amount of fun you have.
Which mania do you prefer- Stochomania or Małyszomania? And why?
I, as a person from abroad, do not know how these manias differ from each other, so I cannot choose one of the parties, because I do not know enough about it.
Would you like to jump yourself? Why or why not?
As I mentioned above, no, I would not dare to jump with skis. I just know my strength and see in it danger to my health, so definitely no.
I don't interesting in watching a ski jumping that much, but I watched the Peter's Prevc Slovenia 250.0 m jump after your presentation. It was impressive.
I jumped once when we were skiing with family in Slovakia. But it wasn't that far... As I'm now I don't think I will jump.
It's really scary=)
Thank you for interesting details)
1. Not really, but when but when Stoch or Kubacki jump, dad always calls us to watch
2. Małyszomania was much better. Thanks to him people are interested in jumping now. He started successes and thanks to that we have his deputy - Kamil Stoch. The most important thing is that we have someone to watch and admire
3. I would like to. I wonder how it feels to fly for a few seconds. I hope I could land!

Kuba Berliński said…
Of course jumping without sufficient training especially on bigger hils could be very dangerous. However on 10 meters hills it could be possible for everyone.
Kuba Berliński said…
Ski jumping could indeed be danguerous, as it takes a ot of preparation and training especialy for bigger hills.
Kuba Berliński said…
At least one person managed to jump, nice ;). Yes, that jump was kind of historical for ski jumping it was very impressive at that point.
Kuba Berliński said…
You have a good dad :). About jumping landing can possibly be the hardest of tasks.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?