Skip to main content

Week 11 [14-20.01.19] Before you can start avoiding sugar, you'll have to look for it



Health lifestyle, nutrition and diets are continuously popular topics. Every month new theories and pro-health strategies appear and along with them, of course, countless products and services to aid them. Smoking is becoming less popular by the year, thanks to legal regulations on tobacco marketing and years of educating consumers on how harmful their habit really is. Another substance, just as addictive and often abused by many is potentially even more harmful. It is more common and you often don’t even know you’re consuming it. We’re genetically programmed to crave it and our brain responds to it as to cocaine – sugar. It is not only what makes candy, sweet and desserts so desirable. It is also added to countless other products and foods, to “improve” the taste and to make the product itself more addictive and thus more profitable.


Average American consumes 22 teaspoons of sugar a day, which is three times what is actually needed. That translates to roughly 35 kilograms a year. It all translates to 5-billion-dollar industry, unwilling to educate the customer on how important an ingredient sugar is in their offering. Just as smoking cigarettes contributes vastly to increasing risk of lung cancer, abusing sugar leads to obesity, diabetes, heart diseases and cancer. There are some foods that should never be part of a regular nutrition like sugar drinks which are by design unhealthy and don’t bother to pretend otherwise.



What may be more deceiving is that sugar is added to all sorts of foods and that by judging the ingredients label you can’t really tell whether it is good for you or not. Key information is not the overall sugar content but rather how much sugar is added to other ingredients intentionally. The products to look out for in the regard are: ketchups and sauces, fruit juices, low fat yogurts, sports drinks and granola are all heavily “improved” by sugar. With the exception of ketchups and sauces the rest of the items mentioned could all aspire to be even considered healthy and appeal to a person trying to stay fit and healthy.


Big brands will guide you to health and well-being as long as it fits with their business model. If this is not the case, it will be up to you to consider what you put in your shopping cart and later on into yourself. Luckily there are countless foods and ideas how to combine them to add up to an interesting, tasty and healthy diet.

Questions:

1) Do you have any rules you apply to your daily nutrition? Why not/what are those?
2) Do you believe that a temporary diet can have a prolonged positive effect on your overall well-being?
3) Are there any particular products which you know are unhealthy or unnecessary, but it is difficult for you to quit them?



Sources:


Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I have been trying to avoid sweet drinks for some time - especially Coca Cola. If I already buy it, Coca Cola Zero, which doesn't have sugar, and as we know it is less harmful to us.
It seems to me that a proper diet has a positive effect on our well-being and behavior. The more fast food, the more depressed we are and have less energy to live on.
Of course, drinking Coca Cola Zero is hard once in a while, Coca Cola with sugar tastes better. Well, I love sweets, once in a while I can't resist buying some more sweetness.
Nataliya Tkach said…
1) Do you have any rules you apply to your daily nutrition? Why not/what are those?
I always Wake up when I drink warm water with lemon to make my body work better.

2) Do you believe that a temporary diet can have a prolonged positive effect on your overall well-being?
Temporary diet helps to cleanse the body, especially if it is after the holidays and immediately felt ease.

3) Are there any particular products which you know are unhealthy or unnecessary, but it is difficult for you to quit them?
For 7 years already, I haven't added sugar to tea, but it is very difficult for me to drink coffee without sugar. It is also difficult to refuse coca cola and chips.
Unknown said…
Coca Cola Zero tested awful for the first time to me too, but I quickly get used to it. Now i can't really tell the difference between Zero and the one with sugar. More and more companies making sugar-free version of their drinks now. The question is, are the substitutes really better for our health?
Unknown said…
Warm water with lemon in the morning sounds great, I will try it for sure.
I think that body-cleaning diets have to be really restricted to achieve its aim, can you recommend any?
7 years is a long time, that's great, good for you :)
Iman Masjedi said…
My diet which I follow more or less carefully , allows me to eat for 2 to 2.5 hours in a row, once per day. I usually start with a pure vegetable salad and then I allow myself fish plus vegetables. I allow myself to eat berries and eat 90% chocolate 3 times per week. 2 or 3 times per week, I try to go all vegan when I am not weight lifting. What I eat very rarely includes red meat, pasta, potatoes, sweets, other fruits.
Yes, I believe that a temporary diet can have a long-lasting positive effect on our overall health, because our body always has the ability to improve itself again.
Many sweets, pets, and high fat foods can endanger our health, but it's very difficult for us to stop eating them.
Unknown said…
No, I haven’t any rules about my daily nutrition, but it turns out that food that I eat every day similar. For breakfast it’s cereals, for lunchI usually order some food from café, and for dinner I cook meat with a side dish. I’m just trying to eat different food, not only fast-food.
No, I think that temporary diet can’t have a prolonged positive effect. For prolonged positive effect diet should be permanent. Keeping body in good condition it’s a hard work and several burgers can destroy all results of your diet.
I eat some products that are unhealthy/unnecessary, but it’s not hard to stop eat them, I just like them but if I have to stop eating them I will make it easily.
I am trying to control my daily nutrition. When I am cooking something, I am not using salt and sugar at all but try to replace them with all sorts of dried herbs. It's not so tasty but healthier, also I eat at restaurants and in these places, I don't think about healthy eating. In theory temporary diet could have a prolonged positive effect, but some of us get pleasure from food and I'm not exception. I like cakes and burgers and if I want it, I will eat it but of course not too much.
Unknown said…
In my opinion everyone should stick to some specific rules for healthy eating. It is not only about the our figure, but mainly about our health. If you ask about the temporary diet, it in’t able to improve our well-being for longer, and may even worsen the situation. People should permanently stick to certain eating habits. We shouldn’t eat unhealthy food such as chips and sweets.
Peter Clemenza said…
1) Do you have any rules you apply to your daily nutrition? Why not/what are those?
Generally I don't drink coffee or tea, I drink only water. My general rule is to eat as simply as possible.
Plain youghurt, and so on. Instead of buying a lot of stuff I spend more money for more expensive food
and eat less but much more healthy
I prepare food seperatly.

2) Do you believe that a temporary diet can have a prolonged positive effect on your overall well-being?

Yes. I think short fasting is very stimulating.


3) Are there any particular products which you know are unhealthy or unnecessary,
but it is difficult for you to quit them?

Chips, fries, very rarely coke, They are very unnecessary, but sometimes they make my day.
Unknown said…
I read somewhere about a theory, that if we're not offered chocolate by our parents within the first 2-3 years of our lives then we don't crave it as much later on. Nevertheless, I agree with you that sweets are in fact hard to resist.
Unknown said…
I agree with your point on temporary diets. I also eat certain foods that are not that healthy to treat myself. I just make sure it doesn't happen too often.
Unknown said…
I also ceased using salt, which is very easy to overuse. I also don't go to restaurants in search of a fit-menu.
Unknown said…
I agree, bad habits are easy to make, whereas good ones take some discipline and consideration. Nevertheless, I agree it is worth it
parvina said…
Hey I have read your article and that helped me to write my article about is an apple a fruit. you must have a check on my article.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?