Skip to main content

Week 11 [14-20.01.19] Just following orders? Psychological studies on obedience.


Usually everyone thinks that they are intelligent and they know what they are doing. We don’t like when someone gives us an order. However, sometimes people are easy to convince of something, and even manipulate. In 1963, psychologist Stanley Milgram wanted to see how many people are really independent. The Milgram experiment turned out to be so important that it became one of the classic psychology experiments. There are even several movies about the experiment!
After World War II, psychologists wanted to find out why some people were obedient and committed war crimes even though they knew it was wrong. For example, many soldiers said afterwards that they were “just following orders.” Stanley Milgram wanted to see if that is really true.
The Milgram experiment involved three people. The experimenter was the leader who organized everything, and the “student” was a hired actor who worked with the experimenter. The experiment volunteers were asked to become “teachers” and teach the “student” some words to remember. The teacher and the student sat in separate rooms and communicated on the radio, but the teacher was together with the experimenter.
The Milgram experiment overview.


However, every time the student made a mistake, the experimenter told the teacher to give him an electric shock on a special machine. At first the shock was weak, and when the student made more mistakes, the shock became stronger. In the end, the student (really a hired actor who was safe all the time) started screaming and complaining about heart pain. However, the experimenter kept telling the teacher to continue “teaching.” He said things like “The experiment requires that you continue” and “You have no other choice. You must go on.” The experiment was recorded and you can see how uncomfortable the “teachers” were, even though they still followed the orders!



In the end, 65% of the volunteer teachers followed the orders until the end and shocked the student with 450 volts. In reality, this shock is lethal.
The experiment was very controversial and many people said it was fake. However, other psychologists repeated it, and got similar results. Today universities don’t allow making experiments where people are scared or uncomfortable, but the Milgram experiment shows us that a soldier uniform or a white scientist lab coat can be enough to make people “just follow orders.” However, let’s remember that there were also many people in the experiment who asked to stop. This means that people are not all mindless: We can decide for ourselves.
This final result was also the result of another famous and controversial study, the Stanford prison experiment. In this experiment, Philip Zimbardo created a fake “prison” in the Stanford university basement and asked volunteers to participate in a simulation of prison. The participants were divided into “prisoners” and “guards.” They were given realistic uniforms and everything resembled a real prison very closely. The experiment was supposed to last two weeks, but had to be ended after six days because the guards became so aggressive and violent! Even though everyone was just pretending, eventually the guards became dangerous and hurt the prisoners, and the prisoners became scared and asked to go home. 
The Stanford prison experiment also created a scandal, but Philip Zimbardo said it showed an important message about obedience. There can be situations where normal people do bad things, such as prison or war. So we can decide for ourselves, but we also have to understand that sometimes it’s very difficult to make the right choice.
However, recently there has been another scandal. Not because the Stanford prison experiment was cruel and volunteers got hurt, but because some people say it was fake. Various scientists have published reports saying that Zimbardo made up the results and lied about what really happened in the fake prison. Zimbardo has made a reply where he defends himself (you can read it here https://www.prisonexp.org/response). Believe him or not, but it’s interesting that psychological experiments that show us uncomfortable things about ourselves are so controversial and people try to argue with them. The two experiments together show us that it’s probably impossible to say who’s always obedient and who’s always independent. There are many difficult situations and we have to try our best to make the right choice every time.

      1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
   2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?

Sources:
Philip Zimbardo and Richard Gerrig, “Psychology and Life” textbook
Youtube, Milgram Experiment - Big History NL, threshold 6

Comments

Unknown said…
Personally, I think that we as emotional beings perceive someone's negative experiences differently based on our level of empathy which is developed based on our tolerance and acceptance of things. As for me, I can't really tell if I would be able to resist doing something I don't want to do for long because for me it's more of "will it be worth in the end?" type of question.
Well, maybe, but if only they can control the situation and they are aware of possible negative outcome for subjects that can damage their psychological and emotional well-being. Although, in reality, in order to get most of your experiments you sometimes need to push the boundaries of the human mind beyond its limits. So, I think the answer to this question will depend on perspective and the real motivation behind such experiments.
Marcin Mróz said…
I believe that I would know how to say "No" in this kind of situation, but it's hard to tell how I would exactly behave. Sometimes pressure from environment or some person can make us do things that we don't want to do, because we feel that we don't have a choice.
Such experiments seem like a bad experience for those that participate in them, but they also seem to show the true nature of humans. Maybe they should be conducted, but participants would be warned that they could feel bad during them?
Unknown said…
I know that I can say no, if I so want. I do not exclude the possibility that I succumb to hypnosis or become inspired if the information is spoken by an important person for me, but more often I have my own opinion.
In general, I believe that fear or aggression, as in the “prison” experiment, is part of the experiment. Of course, there is the human factor, people can get scared and have the right to stop the experiment. But I do not think that it is necessary to stop conducting such experiments, because I would like to know what the statistics of "suggestibility" in people.
Unknown said…
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
Yes. I am a person who always think about what I can gain and loose from a situation. And what are its consequences. I am not depended on other people and tend to make my decision based on my thoughts and values.
2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?
They should, to test how people behave. So we can make simulations and plans for hard situations, so we know how to react, what are the dangers.
This comment has been removed by the author.
It's hard to say what I would do. I know how to refuse when I don't want something.

I think that a psychologists should carry out the experiments, which people arę afraid or feel bad. I think like that cause how people behave in a given situation can be a source of improtant research. After the test, they probably react correctly in life before doing the wrong thing.
Person's mind is too convoluted and unnessessary complicated. It would make for a much better society if we had self programmable consiousness. Personally I despise such things as psychological experiments only for that reason that they are used for manipulation later. Why being so hypocrityc, and resent the idea of turning humans into robots, only to pursue the goal of total control later?
Unknown said…
I don't know what I would do if put in a similar situation - I like to think that my moral compass would be strong enough that I would not cross any lines, but the only way for me to find out if that would be the case is to actually end up in such a situation.

As for the ethics of creating experiments where the people involved might end up being scared or feeling bad, I don't think that there is a clear answer. Such things are rarely black and white, and whether the experiment is acceptable or not can depend on a variety of factors, such as whether the people involved in the experiment are warned that it might make them feel uncomfortable before agreeing to participate.
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
• Yes, I do not have a problem with assertiveness
2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?
• Any kind of an action that could result in heavy traumatization of a subject (not only people) should not take place. The observation of natural flow, indeed, is more time consuming but it does not make people cause harm to other people.
1. When I was reading the text I was so conviced that I would say "No" in the right moment but... I'm not really sure. It's nice to think about yourself that "I'm to smart fot that kind of situation" but am I? Maybe, maybe not.
2. Well they decided to ban that kind of experiments so they probably had a good reason to do that.
I'm very assertive person, so I don't have problems when it comes to objecting to someone or something. These experiments have shown how easy it is to manipulate people. I think psychologists should be able to perform such tests, but only when the previously mentioned experiment has a chance to actually reveal something breakthrough and consists of people who really know what they will be exposed to and have signed up appropriate documents.
Piotr Ciesla said…

I have heard about this experiment already. It’s is terrifying 65% seriously. But aside from that I have no idea would I would do. It’s easy to say I wouldn’t do it if you have that kind of knowledge. I try to say no every time I don’t like to do something. Believe me or not but ability to say “no” is very important during everyday life.
I know that designing experiment is hard. But getting people scared is kind of unethical for me. I know it influences the results. I know that people in stress make more mistakes. I know that people in stress make decisions that they later regret. but is is so important to get this data? I think no its not
Peter Clemenza said…
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
Lets face it, during war we are not only dealing with clean situation, there are other factors as well such as - fear of enemy, punishment for disobeying the orders (sometimes death). I think I would say no in this situation, but in any real.. rather I wouldn't

2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?
Yes they should. People who were there - were volunteers, they made decision to take part in such situation. It helps us understand human psychology.
s18716 said…
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
I think I'm one of those who can refuse and say "No" if necessary. Of course, it is not always very easy to do this, but I try to argue my refusal and show that it is adequate.

2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?
I think it would not be superfluous. This would be useful in order to have an idea about the models of human behavior. It will of course be individual, but in general it will help psychologists understand the nature of these reactions.
Filip Sawicki said…
Generally, I am an assertive person and know when to say “no”. It’s something everyone should learn, because it doesn’t come naturally. People are either rude in their assertiveness or just scared of making own decision. Regarding the second question, yes we should make experiments, but very carefully as, I presume, some results might have very dangerous psychological implications.
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
I think yes - I know when to say no. But I'm not sure what I would do in that experiment - I assume that each persion from that experiment who "punished" the others told the same before it.

2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?
Yes - if both sides agree to such terms, and people wouldn't got hurt, I think that it might be a good idea. Experiment with every participant feeling save and comfortable might produce no result. In real life people are often scared or feel bad, and there's not really much we can do to prevent it.
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
Yes, I think I know how to say "No" to certain things. It used to be hard for me but nowadays I am much better at it. Personally I think it was quite important flaw of mine and I am happy that I became more assertive.
2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?
Well you would have to define "feeling bad". Even is someone agrees to taking part in such experiment they might not fully understand what they are commiting to. Some damage can be really dangerous both physcially and mentally. I guess that results of such experiments are quite useful. Still you should always be careful with them.
I am very self-confident person and I know my limits. If I don’t want something, I won’t do it no matter on consequences. I think that no one should just listen to orders like a brainless robot, every one have a brain fore reason not just to do what he or she is told to do but to think on it’s own and make decisions based on his/hers thoughts. I think that psychologists can make such tests if it really is important to their studies but only on people that earlier agreed to such experiments.
Patryk Górski said…
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?

Sometimes I'm having trouble with that, mainly because of person, who wants something for me. For example - I could easily say no to someone who I don't know, but it becomes much harder when I have to say no to my close friends, or family. When it happens I'm trying to convince myself to do something, and sometimes it's not what I want.

2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?

I think that it's not the best idea. The fear may stay in mind for a very long time.
I’m not kind of person that will do only because someone says “you have to do this”. If I won’t see any reason in it, I would know how to say no. It is great possibility. If you know that you can say no in any situation you don’t feel comfortable in, you will feel a way better. I believe that everyone should learn a little bit of it.
Everything depends on people on who experiments will be made. It shouldn’t be risky at all, everything have to be under control. Then, when experiment needs(and only then!) to be made when people are scared or feel bad, and everything else is calculated and controlled, it can be okey.
1. What would you do? Do you know how to say “No” when you don’t want something?
Usually I know how to say "no" but I don't know how would I react in experiments which you described. It is easy to say that you will know when to stop but you actually dont know if you are allowed to do so in such cases.

2. Do you think psychologists should make experiments where people get scared or feel bad? Why? Why not?
In my opinion because of experiments scientists know more and more about human mind and as far as they do not affect human health those experiments should continue including those where people are scared.
Unknown said…
I agree with you. It is hard to predict how would you behave.
If you will warn participants would it be a reliable experiment?
Unknown said…
This is true. If person who gives commands is some kind of an authority for you it is much more possible that you would follow them without any further discussion.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?