Skip to main content

Week 11 [14-20.01.19] Animation as a self-expression

Stop motion is the animation that we used to see in puppet and clay cartoons. The artist slightly shifts the hero's figurine, films it, and then does this a few thousand times, until these frames ultimately become a cartoon. Artists indulged in this technique more than a hundred years ago, using it to create fantastic effects in the first fantastic blockbusters. Later, the skill of the directors grew and they began to get more impressive stop-motion effects. But be that as it may, they were still unrealistic and looked quite comical on the screen, so with the advent of the digital era, the directors refused to use stop motion in favor of computer graphics (which at first also looked rather poor).

King-Kong (1933) vs Coraline in the Land of Nightmares (2009)

Over time, almost everyone forgot about this type of animation, until Tim Burton came out into the
arena with his “Nightmare Before Christmas” in 1993 and showed that with the help of stop motion
you can still create masterpieces. Since those times, many such masterpiece cartoons have appeared,
such as “James and the Giant Peach”, “Corpse of the Bride”, “Coraline in the Land of Nightmares”,
“Frankenvini”, etc. I want to pay tribute to this style of animation.

To be said that the very first film using the stop motion technique was used as early as in 1897 (!).
In The Humpty Dumpty Circus film, where a puppet theater with acrobats was built for one scene.
So stop motion can be considered the first special effects technique in the movies.
But since 1970, technology in Hollywood cinema began to develop more rapidly. The pioneers of the
“new” stop motion were ILM, who made  effects the first George Lucas’ films in the Star Wars series.

Just look at this Beauty


Since 1986, the famous British studio Aardman has made the first series of its famous plasticine miniatures, and in the 90s it has already switched to full-fledged full-length cartoons with its main characters of the studio - Walliss and Grommit. Tim Barton made “The Bride's Corpse” and Frankinville with Disney Studios.


On of the most interesting animation directors who used combined methods of animation is Ralph Bakshi.He wasn’t afraid to stir up trouble with his work, and his movies definitely caused a lot of controversy over the years. His first two features, the big screen adaptation of Fritz the Cat, and Heavy Traffic, were both X-rated when they were first released, and Coonskin, which was later given the less inflammatory title of Street Fight, confronted racism in a way that’s still provocative today.



I personally think that art is a way to express oneself in any way possible and thus any kind of
censorship, restrictions or superstitions in art is the same as ones in our everyday life, usually it
can be seen everywhere from personal relationships to corporate and national ethics.

So the questions are:

1.Do you like motion capture animation, or you are more of a modern kid? Why?
2.Have you ever heard of Ralph Bakshi or some of his works?
3.Do you think that animation is for children only?





Comments

Iman Masjedi said…
Yes, I like like motion capture animation,The first Walt Disney animation series were all made with this technology.
No, i`ve never heard anything about Ralph Bakshi ,But after reading this post, I was interested in searching more about him on the Internet.
In my opinion, this technology will be more appealing to children, of course making advertising with motion capture can be for adults too.
Unknown said…
1.Do you like motion capture animation, or you are more of a modern kid? Why?
Personally, I prefer the motion capture animation over a modern kid one. I think the explanation of this reaches my childhood as I was watching a lot of motion capture animations back then. I do not mind modern animations, especially when it comes from Pixar or Disney though.

2.Have you ever heard of Ralph Bakshi or some of his works?
Unfortunately I have not. Even more, I have just googled his name and nothing familiar to me came up.

3.Do you think that animation is for children only?
Of course not. I am not a fan of animation on a daily basis, but I am aware, that there is enormous group of people world-wide which spend a lot of time on watching and discussing animation related topics.
I do like motion capture animation, it is a cool thing that was created some time ago and helps us to imagine interesting things.
Honestly, i've never heard about Ralph Bakshi and his works, but after this article i've just found some information. He is talented person for sure and the things that he created are amazing.
Surely not, animation is not only for children. Every person, who is older than 20 years old, sometimes wants to be a child.
I actually almost never watched cartoons in my life, as a kid I was scared of most of them, especially with the ones that use dolls. As an adult I can say that I see nothing interesting in them as well.
Strange thing but i do not like the motion capture myself, i believe that full 2D drawing based cartoon production is the real way. Ralph Bakshi is a more of controversial person and his cartoons are pretty nonstandart to say the least, but he is worth investigating if you are into such style.
My favourity is a 2D drawings but you know, everything is better than horrid 3d adaptations, even though some might be good. As of Bakshi if you've never heard of him than no surprise that google didn't show anything familiar =3. Everyone should have right to enjoy any kind of art and i'm glad you agree on that.
I love animation and admire people who produce it, because when i tried to do it once i could not handle the amount of repetitive work and it sound weird that art even has one. Bakshi is cool guy, and his art even though usually underestimated is a masterpiece in it's own way.
You're loosing a lot my brodah, animation is one of the purest kinds of art, and modern films are more of animation that camerawork anyway, so i would suggest you give it a shot.
Yes, I like motion capture animation in cartoons or movies, especially old ones cartoons. When watching these cartoons, I have a feeling of nostalgia.
To be honest, I have never heard about Ralph Bakshi before but after reading your article I remembered watching one of his films - "Coonskin" and it is great. He is definitely stood out.
No, animation is not only for children. As I know, a lot of great legendary animators such as Joseph Barbera , William Hanna , Walter Disney, Hayao Miyazaki continued to be engaged in animation at an older age and released awesome work.
Yep Ralph worked in times when internet was a big thing for a chosen people, so many of his works reman unknown for non american viewers, but i like animation and his works are an example of great artistry.
Unknown said…
1.Do you like motion capture animation, or you are more of a modern kid? Why?
yes, I like motion capture but used for game footage animations. It's used frequently and it's giving very satysfying effects :) Why? It looks really realistic.
Even look for few older Mortal Kombat games. In MK1 graphics and animations for those years were stunning!

2.Have you ever heard of Ralph Bakshi or some of his works?
Nope, never heard of this guy :/ I'm fan of Japanese animations and his name doesn't seems familiar to japanese :D

3.Do you think that animation is for children only?
Nope. For those who think it is I have bad news: you havn't watched anything good in your life. A lot of "adult animations" are really good and cannot be replaced by movie with real actors.
Unknown said…
1. I like motion capture animation because it reminds me my childhood.
2. I have never heard about Ralph Bakshi and I have to admit that I don't know a lot about his works. :(
3. I don't think so. There are a lot of animations for adult e.g. Rick and Morty, South Park or The Simpsons. I really like this kind of entertainment.
I'm more of a modern kid for sure but I like motion capture animation as well, because it remainds of my childhood. Actually, I've never heard of Ralph Bakshi but after a little research, I can say, I know his works and he is a talented guy. Animation is defenitely not only for children. From time to time I like to watch the newest animated movies. There are also many animated tv series created especially for adults because of their language and stories which are not allowed for kids. I really enjoy watching them.
1. Do you like motion capture animation or you are more of a modern kid? Why?
I like motion capture animation. I think this is a great technology. It helps animators to do their work faster and better. Before the creation of this technology, there were several simplified analogs and I am glad that this industry evolve.
2. Have you ever heard of Ralph Bakshi or some of his works?
I heard only the name but did not see his work. Sometimes on the Internet, I met funny memes with his version of Spiderman.
3. Do you think that the animation is for children only?
No, I completely disagree. The animation is an art. Unfortunately, many people don't understand this. There are animations with a very complex plot, which even many adults will be incomprehensible.
Artem Lipovatyi said…
1. I like motion capture because it's more realistic.
2. No.
3. No, there are many people in different age who like such an art.
Unknown said…
I like motion capture animation because I still remember the first animation I watched as a kid and probably its pretty nostalgic to me.
I have never heard of Ralph Bakshi or his works.
I don't think that animation is only for children. For example, Coraline in the Land of Nightmares was really enjoyable for adults.
Ahmed Elsawi said…
I love motion capture animation but you know technologies in this field should grow similar to the progress of the times, I haven't heard about Ralph Bakshi before, The animation is a wide science, for children only, Exactly no.
Wayne Dietz said…
Animation Dok. With amazing designs and innovative ideas, we provide the clients with the best Video Animation services to meet your marketing needs and requirements.
anniegarza said…
Impexlog Inc. brings a wide assortment of products on the same platform.We provide a number of products for all ages divided into categories. We tend to deliver the best quality of products at the most cost-effective pricing ranges. We make sure to provide the best online shopping in Calgary.
Sara harris said…
Coraline in the Land of Nightmares",

"Frankenvini", and so forth I need to honor this style of Documentary Video Production Company activity.
oliverwalsh said…
there were a few worked on analogs and I am happy that this industry advance.

Have you at any point known about writing an assignment or a portion of his works?

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?