Skip to main content

Week 8 [03.12-09.12.18] Why is Venezuela in crisis?

Why is Venezuela in crisis?


 

Venezuela is a country located on northern coast of South America with a population estimated to be around 32 million people. You most likely have heard something about how bad things are there. In this presentation I will try to explain what caused this situation in Venezuela.

Crisis

Venezuela has been in deep socioeconomic crisis for years now. Its beginning is said to be on 2010 during Hugo Chávez presidency. Right now, Venezuela is facing multiple issues such as: hyperinflation, economic depression, shortage of basic goods and significant increase in unemployment. This sounds just as bad as it is. For example, hyperinflation caused prices of products to double every 18 days and the unemployment rate is estimated to be around 33.5% .




Source : https://www.businesstoday.in/current/world/oil-falls-a-bit-as-saudi-and-russia-quietly-agree-output-rise-us-stocks-swell/story/283740.html


Oil

To understand what caused such a bad situation to occur in this country we have to know what the most exported good in Venezuela is. That thing is oil. This country is known to have the biggest reserves of oil in the world. In 2014 oil export accounted for 95% of Venezuela's export earnings and 25% of its GDP. In 2015 it was estimated that in order to balance its budget Venezuela needed a price for oil barrel to be around 200$. At that time, it dropped to 70$ per barrel. It is worth mentioning that Venezuela exported and still exports mostly crude oil, not refined petroleum. However, despite all of that, how could one country be so dependent on only one of its resources? That was mostly caused by Venezuela’s government actions.

Mismanagement

Both governments of Hugo Chávez and Nicolás Maduro didn’t manage money they earned on oil exports properly. They didn’t invest in infrastructure, technology or other sectors of economy. They spent enormous amount of money on social spending in order to make their parties more popular among people. Social subsidies instead of reinvestment into energy infrastructure is one of the biggest mistakes made by President Maduro. However, still there is no sign of change in his policy. Moreover, corruption is a serious problem in this country. Many argue that huge part of oil income ends up in pockets of officials connected with the ruling party and Mr. Maduro. Those things had happed long before the crisis. However, with prices of oil sinking, Venezuelans could really feel the consequences of such policies only in last 8 years.

Summary

Venezuela’s economy was and still is based on oil. Decrease in its price led to catastrophic consequences. Lack of reinvestment, pumping funds into other sectors of economy, huge spending were  all extremely irresponsible. The government of Venezuela with Mr.Maduro as its leader still seem to be out of touch with reality. Such moves like introducing petro (new cryptocurrency) which got immediately banned by U.S., introducing new currency or setting social spending at 70% of the country’s budget are only making things worse.

Questions to discuss:

Have you heard about the situation in Venezuela before? Are you interested in such topics?
Can you name countries that are large exporters of oil? Do you know how the change of oil price affected them?
What in your opinion could have been done in order to prevent the Venezuelan crisis?
How would you respond if the government of your country acted like the one in Venezuela? Do you care what the government spend money on?

Sources: https://w HYPERLINK "https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/venezuela-crisis"ww.cfr.org/backgrounder/venezuela-crisis
 https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/venezuela/forecast-unemployment-rate
 https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/in-ve HYPERLINK "https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/in-venezuela-prices-double-every-18-days/articleshow/65172863.cms"nezuela-prices-double-every-18-days/articleshow/65172863.cms
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/01/falling-crude-oil-prices-crush-venezuelas-ailing-e HYPERLINK "https://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/01/falling-crude-oil-prices-crush-venezuelas-ailing-economy.html"conomy.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuela
https://www.forbes.com/ HYPERLINK "https://www.forbes.com/sites/judeclemente/2017/11/05/venezuelas-oil-problems-abound/"sites/judeclemente/2017/11/05/venezuelas-oil-problems-abound/#47aa661a6104
https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/12703







Comments

Lukasz Mroczek said…
I’ve not heard about the situation in Venezuela before and to be honest I’m often not very interested in such topics, but If it may influence my country or money I try to monitor situation. As for now, I think that I don’t have to keep an eye on Venezuela situation. I think that nowadays Saudi Arabia and Russia ale strong players if we are talking about oil export. We can see that this countries are definitely taking advantages of those resources they have. I don’t like to speculate and I don’t know what would help to prevent the Venezuelan crisis. Generally I try not to care about what the government is spending money on because I think that community don’t have any influence on it. I will try to leave my country and find a place where government is better in thinking.
⦁ Yes I have, but I'm not very interested in worlds economics.

⦁ Iran, Iraq, UEA? Dunno, not big expert here.

⦁ Better politics maybe?

⦁ It's really important to know some lenguage other than your native one and to have job that can be done in every country. If you can do both, you are no longer slave of some country, you may work everywhere you can.
Well, I hate politics, not gonna lie. Thus, I try to avoid such topics at all. My opinion -- the new World Rule is what will bring peace and economical equality. Although, it will be unpleasant for the most of people hence it will mean losing all means of freedom.
Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it. Are you sure that citizens doesn't have any influence on government spendings though? You mentioned a places where government is better in thinking. Which countries do you find more responsible when it comes to their budget? Do you think we could learn something from them?
I am not sure if I understood your last answer properly. You would rather leave the country if actions of your government would be irresponsible?
Unknown said…
Yes, I've heard about the crisis there, but I was't aware what was the reason.

I know that one of the biggest exporters of oil are eastern countries such as Iran, Iraq, but I'm not sure about their politics. There is one more country, which we all know, and with current behavior there is gonna be something not good.

People. But the main problem what those people think about their government. Unfortunately, most countries can control peoples mind through various types of propaganda. And if there is no competition in government, the citizens of those counties are doomed.
Unknown said…
I have a fiend form Poznan who actually from Venezuela and while working here send money to his mother who is still there. According to his words it's actually that bad. People there are just trying to survive by all means possible. As for my opinion - people are not trees they can move and if you nit satisfied with what you have it's in your power to change that.
No, I didn't hear about that. It was interesting topic, because people need to know what's going on around the world. I think corruption is main problem in a lot of countries, when government thinks only about themselves and they don't care about people, as a result in country starts crisis, prices of products increases. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Russia are the largest oil-exporting countries, but I don't know how the change of oil price effected to them. It's very complicated to answer to this question, I don't know what could have been done to prevent crisis. I think that you can't do anything if the government spend money, you can only wait for the election and hope for the best.
Unknown said…
Unfortunately, I've never heard about this topic, because I have to admit that I'm not interested in such topics, I don't even know what's going on in Poland. I may be wrong here, but I think Qatar, the Emirates, but I don't know how it affects them. I think it is unlikely that those who manage this money will change. In Poland strange things happen anyway, everyone complains, but it's not that bad, that's how I think. After that I have no influence on it anyway.
Unknown said…
I have heard about the state of Venezuela from the vlogs of one Pole who lives there and shows absurd situations, the type for less than a dollar we have a full tank of fuel, but we can not buy food. The average salary is $ 2 a month but they do not really get that much because during the night probably the $ 2 will turn into $ 0.2, etc. They get food parcels to somehow survive but even they can be late for a few months or not arrive at all. It will be really hard to repair this country, especially in the power of the detaining party, which remains in power thanks to terror and militants terrorizing the city.
Yeah... it's really sad when you read about how things get worse and worse there. Sadly it's really hard for such country to recover. People that are living there see emigration as the only solution to the problem. It's hard not to understand them. There are almost no signs of better future in Venezuela.
I have to agree with you. Personally I don't believe that situation there can improve unless there is a new government in Venezuela. That however, might be really improbable to happen because of the reasons you have mentioned.
I’ve heard about it a little, but to be honest, I have never been very interested in such topics.
I can name only two countries, Russia and USA. As I mentioned before I have never been interested in such topics so I have no idea how the change of oil prices affect them. I can only imagine how much it can change if any country exports so much as Venezuela.
In my opinion any country can’t rely only on one resource. Government should invest in other sectors like technology. I can’t say my opinion about any politics, but I do care about any actions they do.
Marcin Górski said…
To be honest, I have heard about situation in some countries in Africa but Venezuela is new for me. It's not something what I'm interested for but in Poland we have a lot of money collections for these countries.
To be honest, I don't know about oil export a lot but I have heard about Russia. I can't say anything about affects because it's not similar topic for me.
Yes, do you know that we have a special website for country debt - http://www.dlugpubliczny.org.pl. Have you ever heard about it? I hope that politics are working hard and situation like in Venezuela is not possible in my country.
Filip Sawicki said…
Sure I have heard about situation in Venezuela. That is very sad to hear that such a tragedy happening in this country, more so If you know that Venezuela used to be one of the most prosperous (small) countries in the world right after the end of world war 2. What went wrong? Sooo… many things but mostly poor leadership, I guess that this would be a great topic to write book about or maybe create new Netflix series?
⦁ Have you heard about the situation in Venezuela before? Are you interested in such topics?
Yes, I was watching one youtube channel of polish guy that lives there. I think that he is a badass considering what’s going on there lately.
⦁ Can you name countries that are large exporters of oil? Do you know how the change of oil price affected them?
From what I know Saudi Arabia is a big player in that game. But they are friends to US so probably that haven't touched them much
⦁ What in your opinion could have been done in order to prevent the Venezuelan crisis?
I’ve read that big problem was also importing everything from outside. Basiclly they have just killed national business
⦁ How would you respond if the government of your country acted like the one in Venezuela? Do you care what the government spend money on?
I think from actions of Polish government some may deduce, that they also have no idea what they are doing. I wish I wouldn't care or look what government spend money on
Illia Lukisha said…
⦁ Have you heard about the situation in Venezuela before? Are you interested in such topics?

Yes, I heard. I watch YouTube series called "Borders", and there were episodes that cover the current situation in the country. Also in this series was mentioned that a lot of people are escaping from Venezuela, to Columbia, and Colombians help this people to overcome this crisis. Money in Venezuela nowadays is just a papers, from which people make bags and other stuff.

⦁ Can you name countries that are large exporters of oil? Do you know how the change of oil price affected them?

I know about Russia, Norway, Saudi Arabia, UAE, all this countries leverage their economics funding with money from oil selling. And they invest a lot in renewable energy.

⦁ What in your opinion could have been done in order to prevent the Venezuelan crisis?

I think that there is a lot of countries that could help establish governmental system in Venezuela, and help to figure out how to manage resources better.

⦁ How would you respond if the government of your country acted like the one in Venezuela? Do you care what the government spend money on?

If I could impact the situation I probably should try it out. But if it is clear that system cannot be changed, I rather wouldn't try to fight the system and spend my life on that, I just will move to place where government is thinking about people and will improve that society and pay taxes there.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?