Skip to main content

Week 10 [17.12-23.12.18] Podcasts


Podcasts

What is a podcast?

Let’s say you have to commute from home to school and you do not know what to do with all this free time. Unfortunately, you are too tired to play some games on your mobile phone and you are bored with all your favourite songs on Spotify. Fortunately, I have an answer to this hard question - “podcasts”.
For those who do not know what podcast is, we should think about it as “Internet Radio On-Demand”. You can choose any topic you like: Board Games, Music, Computer Science etc. and you will find a group of people or just a single person who creates a podcast related to this topic.
In my opinion, it is a great opportunity to find some news about your interests or just hear an interesting story about any topic.

How can I start?

You may ask yourself “how can I find podcasts, what do I need to listen to them and how much do they cost?”.




Basically, all you need is a smart phone. As an android user,  you can find podcasts with “Google Play Music”, on iOS I would recommend “Apple Podcasts” it is a free app which helps you with managing your podcasts and we cannot forget about Spotify which has a wide library of podcasts.
Most podcasts are free, of course, you can find some paid ones (in form of a monthly subscription or you have to pay per episode), but I would suggest to starting with the free ones or find some reviews before you pay.

Why are podcasts better than a radio station or an audio-book?

To me,  the best thing about this kind of entertainment is the fact that you will not be bored after five minutes because you have a wide range of topics, you can listen to anything you want to at any time. You can skip a boring part/episode at any moment and it is for free so if you do not like it you will not feel any regret after spending money on it.

What podcasts can I recommend?

  1. The Console Log (https://theconsolelog.com/) - it is a free podcast about JavaScript and Web, so it is a great choice if you want to be up-to-date with the web development.
  2. The Hardcore History (https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/) - if you want to listen to something about history it is the best choice. Unfortunately, this podcast is not free, but you can download some free episodes to check if this is your cup of tea.




Questions:
  1. What do you do to kill time while travelling?
  2. What is your favourite podcast?



Comments

Iman Masjedi said…
I usually watch movies at travel times (such as when I'm on a plane or train). Sometimes I listen to podcasts, and sometimes I listen to music or read a book. All of this depends on my travel conditions, if I travel between the two countries, I will also play a computer game.
My favorite podcast is about artificial intelligence and technology.
https://soundcloud.com/theaipodcast
Unknown said…
Usually I listen music while traveling. But when I don’t want listen music I read a book or listen podcast. I started listen podcasts because now I'm going by public transport to work and often it’s full, so I can’t read news or books on my smartphone. Podcast it’s great solution because I can discover new programing practices, something new about technologies that I use. Usually I going to work for about an hour, so I can listen one podcast from the beginning to the end.
My favorite podcast station is Software Engineering Radio and my favorite podcast is SE-Radio Episode 321 about End to End ecryption.
Marcin Mróz said…
In most cases I just listen to the music. I do not consider my way to school or work that long that I have to grab a book. Also I don't like to finish reading in a middle of a chapter, because I have to leave the train. It just seems a bit inconvienient to me. I have never tried podcasts, but they seem to have the same problem. Most of them are really long and you would have to stop in the middle of it when you reach your destination. Also you would have to stay concentrated on what people in the podcast are saying, which is not always easy when you are moving for example from one train to another etc.
I don't listen to podcasts, so I don't have a favorite one. Sometimes I try to listen to H3 Podcast when the guest seem to be fun to listen to, but in most cases I get bored after some time and just turn it off.
Szymon Gibalski said…
Oh, I have not heard about this podcast before, I have to check it out because I love this topic! Thank you for your recommendation.
Szymon Gibalski said…
I do the same, I usually while travelling to school - I will just listen to one episode of my favourite podcast.
Thank you for the recommendation, I will try out the End to End encryption.
Unknown said…
I travel a lot. In this year I had 21 flights. So I spend many hours on the airports and in various types of transport. I was experimenting with podcasts, but I cannot switch to them. For me they are boring, and it's so hard to find a good one. Another problem is that a podcast series can start with many brilliant episodes, but at some point, it usually changes and start getting worse.

I like to read Medium articles while I'm traveling. Or play on my Switch. I have bought this console just for this. To be able to entertain myself while I'm on my way.

I don't like podcasts, so I don't have my favorite one. I used to enjoy Włodek Markowicz ones, and current series from Michał Szafrański is pretty good.
Szymon Gibalski said…
It is true that podcasts are usually really long, maybe you can try to find some short podcasts instead?
Szymon Gibalski said…
I would like to try out Switch, it looks and sounds like a really good console. I also used to listen to Włodek Markowicz but I was bored after few episodes.
Unknown said…
I do love traveling somewhere far away from my home. If I know that I will travel somewhere else, I always prepare myself for departure. In case I am a driver, I prepare my music for the journey ( I do love sing while driving ). In case I am a passenger, I prepare films for myself(mainly tv series on Netflix).

I don’t like podcasts so I don’t have my favourite podcast.
Szymon Gibalski said…
Yes, Netflix is also a great solution if you want to kill time while travelling.
Unknown said…
Mostly on the go, I love to listen to music, watch TV series or read various articles. Recently, I started to watch or listen to podcasts. If they are interesting and with interesting characters, I really like to listen to podcasts to pass the time.
My favorite podcast is Remiugiusz Maciaszek with a friend Borys, on their youtube channel they record about 20 minute podcasts that I listen to very willingly, they touch topics from areas I'm interested in.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?