Skip to main content

Week 10 [17.12-23.12.18] How to use a paper towel

You use paper towels to dry your hands every day, but chances are, you're doing it wrong. In this enlightening and funny short talk, Joe Smith reveals the trick to perfect paper towel technique.


ddad



  • What do you think about presented ways in which you can reduce your paper use?
  • Do you know any other methods of saving paper?
  • Did you enjoy the talk? Was it interesting to you?

  • Comments

    I actually always was folding the towels. However, in my opinion, hand dryers are way more healthy. Yes, they consume energy, but if designed properly, they can dry one's hands in a matter of seconds, still doing way lower damage to the environment.
    Nataliya Tkach said…
    1.What do you think about presented ways in which you can reduce your paper use?
    I think it is very funny)) I did Not think that TED takes these videos

    2.Do you know any other methods of saving paper?
    Why come up with ways to save paper, if you can use
    -hand dryer
    -don"t wipe your hands,they will dry themselves
    -wipe your hands on your pants

    3.Did you enjoy the talk? Was it interesting to you?
    I very much laughed with this video, probably soon to appear video on how to properly clean ears with cotton swab))
    Lukasz Mroczek said…
    I think that every way of reducing paper use is good because you can save some money with it and you produce less litters.
    There is one way of saving paper and I don’t know whether it’s popular or not but I do it. For example, when I get documents that aren’t important and don’t contain any confidential data, I cut them in small pieces and use like normal ‘memo’.
    Yeah, this talk was pretty interesting but I’m more into new technologies.
    Unknown said…
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Unknown said…
    Hi and thanks for your opinion :)! I can totally agree with you. The one thing is - it's hard to find these "good" hand dryers. Usually you can find the old ones, which need a lot of time to dry your hands.
    Unknown said…
    I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :D
    I got you, but I'm not so sure about wiping your hands on your pants - there are a lot of bacteria!
    I think that leaving water on your hands or skin overall isn't so good too, but I might be wrong.

    Thank you for your comment!
    Unknown said…
    Hi,
    you know, I don't think that this whole thing is about saving money, but I see your point and kinda agree with it.
    I got to tell you, that your idea of saving paper is quite interesting! Maybe it'll be useful for someone right here :).
    Hahaha, okay. Thanks for comment anyways :).
    Filip Sawicki said…
    Nice way to reduce use of paper towels! It’s both ecologically and economically sound strategy to implement in your daily life. I will probably stick to that, just have to remember his two magic words 😊. I don’t know of any other method, maybe that at home you should always use normal towels not to waste on paper.
    A minimalistic way of teaching new, important thing - I love it! It's just sad to me that he wasted 4.5 paper towels during this show :D One of the best ways to save paper is using normal towels or just letting your hands to dry by its own. Also, it is essential to use two-sided printing whenever it is possible or not printing at all if it is not necessary.
    Unknown said…
    I did not see ways; I saw that you need to shake hands so that less water absorbs a paper towel. Yes, use a regular towel or air dryers (if it is a public place). Not really, I already understood it all, and when I also noticed that people tear off 3-5 towels, after they throw them out with semi-dry ones, taking into account this use, someone will not have enough paper towels. But I use towels rationally, so this article was not a discovery for me.
    1. What do you think about presented ways in which you can reduce your paper use?
    Great example - I assume that everybody use paper towels, so it's technique that anyone ca use !
    2. Do you know any other methods of saving paper?
    I try to reduce the amount of paper I use as much as possible - if I'm writing something on a sheet of paper, I try to use every empty space before I will take next one.

    3. Did you enjoy the talk? Was it interesting to you?
    Yes, but I think that he could stop after the second paper towel.
    I think in Poland everybody is using paper, so maybe some people could use that to save some trees.
    But i prefer some other methods of reducing that material. Best for me is to get a Japanese toilet. It's very expensive but when you have it you don't need to use paper. A toilet itself is cleaning you. I enjoyed the talk but it don't change my mind that Japanese toilets are better than some secret techniques of using toilet paper.
    Piotr Ciesla said…
    I think it might be useful for me if i would use paper to dry my hands. At home and in work I use regular fabric towel. Nevertheless I also use the rule of “shake”.
    Other than using fabric towels, I think hands dryers can reduce usage of paper towel by 100%. Talk was funny. I liked it
    Marcin Mróz said…
    This is probably the most accurate way to dry your hands with paper towel, properly shaking hands does 75% of the job I guess. But I must admit that I have never thought about what is the proper way to do that. Also I'm not a big fan of drying your hands with paper towel, apart from the fact that it's not ecological (if the paper is not recycled), your hands usually stink after using it. Sometimes I even prefer to leave my hands to dry by themselves than to use paper towel. Efficient hand dryer is the best option possible I guess.
    s18716 said…
    I liked this video. Such a simple, but very important and very fun filed information. I think this is very useful for public places. But with a view to reasonable use at home, you can use cloth towels, plus it is very beneficial from a financial point of view. And in general, as little as possible use of paper products, only in extreme need.
    Unknown said…
    I'm happy that you enjoyed it :).
    Yep, definitely a good idea!

    Thank you for your comment!
    Unknown said…
    Hahaha, that's true - I was thinking about it too!
    I can totally agree with you, especially with two-sided printing.

    Thanks for comment and merry christmas!
    Unknown said…
    Yes, definitely Japanese toilets are amazing! I hope I will get one in future :).

    Thanks for comment.
    Unknown said…
    Yep, it'd be very useful in public places without a doubt.
    Thanks for comment!
    Bartosz Barnat said…
    I think that people really use more paper towel than they need. Even I myself use like 3-4 per one hand wash and that's because I don't even think about it. I just take because its there and want to get my hands dry faster.

    Well when there is no paper towels in a toilet you can always dry your hands by your pants. The second good way to make your hands dry is hand dryer. These ones are the most used I guess.

    It was really intersting talk and really funny to watch. I really enjoyed that and think it may change a perspective on using paper towels
    In my opinion presented methods can greatly reduce usage of paper towel. It is also a little bit faster, because you need only one piece of it. Folding paper is must have. I always try to do it, but to be sure, I just forget sometimes about it. Anyway, I think that also using a hand dryer is much more environment friendly. It is also I bit slower and because of it a lot of people still use paper towel. If we could get a really good hand dryer at any public toilet, it will also reduce usage of paper.
    To be honest, this talk hasn’t been very interesting. I don’t know why, maybe because of the topic, but it has few funny moments. I don’t need to be extremely enjoyable to be valuable for me.
    My first thought was that if man needs to teach adults how to wash hands for 5min there must be something wrong with the society ;) In general he was right and I liked his speech. Usually people do not care how many paper towels they actually need and they take 3 or more to dry their hands.

    I think at home usually people dry hands by using normal towels :P
    In restaurants, cienemas and other places besides paper towels usually there are also dryers but unfortunatelly the older ones do not dry hands very well.

    I enjoyed his talk. It was simple and clear but he put people attention to an important issue.
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Paper towels are a very important part of my household. I use them very often to clean all kinds of stuff and I collect it in a separate trash bin so that it can be recycled. I was familiar with the techniques shown by Joe Smith.

    I don’t agree that not buying it at all is contributing to saving the environment — manufacturers will make it either way and someone else will buy who doesn’t care about the environment at all. In my opinion, by focusing on effective use and recycling of paper towels I actually „save the paper towel” from being used in a wrong way by reckless people.
    I think the ways presented by Joe Smith are great!

    Yes, for example electronic dryers.

    I really liked this conversation. It was very interesting. The next time when I see a paper towel, I will think about two words: shake and fold.
    Marcin Górski said…
    I am using paper towel everyday: in the kitchen, at work... everywhere! To be honest, I have to reduce amount of paper which I am using for single hand washing because it's often about 4-5 papers too much. It is good to remember about shake an fold :)
    Hmmm, I don't have about any other methods of saving paper but I know how to minimize wasting of water! Okay, I know that is other topic.
    Yes, of course it was very interesting. I like TED talks when speaker require audience activity. It is good to explain topic with some funny moments. To be honest, it can be one of the best TED talks I have ever seen. Thank you.
    Unknown said…
    1. I think that it is a bit down-to-earth topic but despite of that it was an interesting speech! I will remember the way how to use a paper towel which he showed for us.
    2. No, no really. I am person which use a tons of paper towel during cooking so I am not the best example of person who knows how to reduce of using it :D
    3. Yes, it was an interesting video and the joke at the end was very funny! :)

    I always try to save paper, as it has been shown on the presentation.
    Do I know a different method? I think that using a towel to wipe the hands will save you money.
    I think that everyone watch presentations and learn how to save paper, even if it is not for the environment for my pocket
    I was always annoyed by people abusing paper towel dispensers – pulling multiple sheets, clumping them together with no real thought, throwing away a ball of paper that could still absorb a lot of moisture, and then leaving the restroom with their hands still wet. I try to be conscious of my paper towel usage, and seeing someone else showing a “proper way” to use them makes me feel a bit less silly for doing that. I like the way the man presented his method, and that he brought up statistics to back up his claim. Luckily with the emergence of various digital technologies the usage of paper is slowly descending, with more information being passed around between ubiquitous electronic devices rather than printed on paper.
    This is actually a great idea. I never thought about it. I very rarely use paper towels - only if there is no other option, but if I do, I usually take two or three pieces. And I usually consider it a bit of a waste - after all those half-wet paper towels will go to trash and we already have enough trash as it is. I will have to try this "shake and fold" idea.
    At home, I'm not using paper towels, just regular ones. I think it's not so wasteful.
    Ahmed Elsawi said…
    - I think the presented ways it's OK!, To reduce us from using a lot of towels, by 12 shakes and a fold.

    - I think about another method of saving paper, by using the electric towel "Dry Machine" but it will be also the same concept, someone will come and say
    "WE WANT TO REDUCE USING ELECTRIC",
    So I think in this situation, To drying our hands, Everyone can use "Cloth handkerchief" for his normal day and clean it then reuse again in next day, Some militaries say it healthy for soldiers because it's fast and useful.

    - I enjoyed "Next year toilet paper".
    Illia Lukisha said…
    What do you think about presented ways in which you can reduce your paper use?

    I think it's a great way to reduce amount of paper we use, however I already do that. But I see that we use a lot of paper other we overpackage everything. Our deliveries, our takeouts and so one, we use so many materials that we just through off.

    Do you know any other methods of saving paper?

    We can use electric hand driers instead.

    Did you enjoy the talk? Was it interesting to you?

    I think that it is one of the best ted talks, because it has useful content and also practical.
    Unknown said…
    Personally, I noticed that I use too much paper towel. This presentation, as this guy said that I should remember these words for the rest of my life. Hopefully, from today I will use only one piece of paper to wipe my hands.
    I have never thought about it, if there are any other methods of saving paper. In our company they gave up with paper in bathrooms and turned up effective hand dryers. This is a very good method for saving paper.
    This talk was very interesting and funny, one of the best I've seen. It positively surprised me.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

    http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

    Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

    The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

    Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

    James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?