Skip to main content

Week 10 [17.12-23.12.18] Coworking Spaces

What comes to our mind when we say the word ‘workplace’ ? 
It depends on our profession , company and other factors, but  most of us think about sitting in an office from 9 AM to 5 PM. 
Usually, we work in a modern office building, located in one of business districts in a city. 
Another way of working, which is rapidly gaining popularity especially on the IT and startup markets, is of course remote work 
which is often  connected with working from home. 
Let’s ask ourselves a question if our home is the best option for getting our work done ? It definitely has advantages:
  • it is cost-efficient - you don’t need to pay rent for an office
  • it is as near as possible to your home, you don’t waste your time commuting back and forth to the office
However, from my own experience I can see some cons of working from home:
  • you quickly start to feel isolated and lonely at your work
  •  you are prone to distractions like your family members, pets, flatmates, couriers, etc.
  • you lack real relationships with people around you (e.g.: coffee chats) and creative environment they build
These and other reasons pushed Brad Neuberg - a software engineer with strong open-source projects background who was living 
in California -  to launch first coworking space [1] in San Francisco in 2005. Here you can view the original website advertising his coworking space [2]


 

 

Brad’s idea worked out and coworking movement has started to spread all over USA and the rest of the world. 
According to Wikipedia [3] first coworking space in Europe was opened in 2007 in Marseille, France, while In Poland first coworking space 
called “CoworkingClub” was opened in Warsaw in 2008. [4]

Currently coworking spaces and virtual offices are perfect alternatives for renting traditional office spaces. 
They offer great flexibility and cost-effectiveness as  there are many pricing models including hourly, daily and monthly rates, 
which is one of the main advantages compared to legacy offices, which are very inflexible in rental terms & conditions.
These features are highly desirable by individual freelancers, startups and other entrepreneurs, who often work for clients in different countries or cities and are not based in one place. 
Those people also do not want to be isolated working from home, they rather look for inspiration, synergy and creative environment which coworking spaces offer. 
It can be also a great place to find investors or co-founders for new startups and other business initiatives. There are two basic types of such shared offices (which can also be mixed):
 virtual office: basic feature is that a virtual office provider gives you a business address, often in a prestigious neighborhood, which can be used to register your company. 
 Additional services can also include: phone answering or mail forwarding 
coworking spaces: shared office spaces which offer basic resources required in an office environment like: the Internet connection, different  types of desks 
( hot desks, fixed desks , cabin desks), conference rooms, kitchen, toilets, parking spaces, printing services etc.
Another interesting phenomena related to coworking is coworking travelling [5]. It is a concept of travelling around the world and working remotely by using
 coworking spaces. Some of the biggest advantages are: building your network and meeting new people from different cultures, visiting beautiful and 
interesting places in exotic countries [6] or just taking a break from boring and routine work at the office

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5ab30f883c0d5f3ebc626470/5b0045c559e4c81786762e73_bali%20desktop.jpg

Questions: 
1. Have you ever worked in a coworking space ?
2. Would you consider coworking space or virtual office as your potential startup’s headquarters ?
3. Do you think that big companies will switch from regular offices and use coworking spaces for their small project teams ?

Links:



Comments

I have worked in an openspace once. Well, it was not awful, however, you can easily be distracted by your coworkers and your efficiency may drop due to that.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Thanks for your comment, concentration and performance are also my concerns when it comes to coworking spaces. However, it can be a good alternative for people working from home to change their environment and work in a group of people from time to time.
Nataliya Tkach said…
1. Have you ever worked in a coworking space ?
Yes,I worked in a coworking space. I didn't like it, I don't like when they look at the monitor.

2. Would you consider coworking space or virtual office as your potential startup’s headquarters ?I think it depends on the type of start up. Now practice such offices. I'm generally a supporter of remote work.

3. Do you think that big companies will switch from regular offices and use coworking spaces for their small project teams ?
I think that they switch but in order to bring people closer, respectively, and the productivity of work will be more.
Unknown said…
Thanks for commenting on my article, indeed privacy can be an issue when we are working in a public coworking space. In such a case, using a private room could be the right way to go, however it's more expensive then.
Unknown said…
No, not yet.
Of course, if I did not have a job, I think I would visit such a place. But I do not belong to those people who can not work at home. I am quite satisfied with my workplace at home, since it is equipped with everything necessary and I do not switch to "household chores", since that is what I usually do much more interesting.
I think not, big companies hire people to work and provide jobs, pay tax, I think big companies earn enough to equip their office better than the one provided by the "coworking club".
Unknown said…
Thanks for your comment, so you are able to stay focused on your work and don't get distracted easily when working from home, but don't you feel a bit isolated then ?
Unknown said…
My statement may seem strange to others, but I like such spaces. Of course, without exaggeration, everyone should have their own few meters. I like such spaces, because then you can communicate quickly, etc. Sometimes it has its advantages and disadvantages, but generally I see more advantages. That's why I think I would consider such a space as a startup.
In my office, every project has its own place, and everyone who works on this project is in this sector, which is very helpful.
Unknown said…
No, I never worked in coworking space. Now I work in big company, which have big office in Warsaw. My working place is in the openspace, which occupies the entire floor.
No, I’d prefer personal office neither coworking.
I don’t think so. Big companies has many secret information, which can’t be shared(source code, information about new products etc.)
Piotr Ciesla said…
No I’ve never worked in coworking space. I work in office or at home.
Well it depends what budget I would have. If i would be able to rent an office i would definitely do it. People feel much safer if they know that they have their own desk. That they can keep it clean or be messy.
No I think big companies would rather swing to more open space than coworking spaces
Unknown said…
Thanks for your comment, you've mentioned important aspect of working in a coworking space - confidentiality. I also can't imagine big company's team working in a public coworking space on projects which should be kept secret.
Unknown said…
Thank you for commenting, communication is one of the most important aspect when it comes to project work and, as you've mentioned, it is much easier when the whole team is grouped in one place where members can easily communicate with each other. It is more effective than working in different locations and constantly calling meetings.
Unknown said…
Thank you for your comment. I agree that form the psychological point of view, people who work from one office and don't travel a lot at work, might feel a bit uncomfortable in coworking spaces. On the other hand, e.g.: consultants who often work on client's side are more likely to use coworking spaces as they are used to work in the environments they don't know.
Denys Pogurskyi said…
I heard about this coworking space but not work there. It's really good for freelancer. I time to time went to libraries, because there was to nice atmosphere to collect my thoughts.
1. Have you ever worked in a coworking space ?
Yes. I'm working on open office but due to the fact that most of employees work from home it is quietly there.
2. Would you consider coworking space or virtual office as your potential startup’s headquarters ?
That sound awesome. It depends from size of that startup but first I would just use my own home
3. Do you think that big companies will switch from regular offices and use coworking spaces for their small project teams ?
I'm not sure about it. It would need to be more cost saving. And with current home prices and economy it doesn't sound possible
1. Have you ever worked in a coworking space ?
Yes, I have been working in one of the well-known coworking spaces in Warsaw and I really enjoyed it. I gives opportunity to meet new people from different positions and maybe even start a business together.
2. Would you consider coworking space or virtual office as your potential startup’s headquarters ?
I would use coworking space but it depends on number of members and costs.
3. Do you think that big companies will switch from regular offices and use coworking spaces for their small project teams ?
I don't think so. Having a dedicated space for your team creates proffesional company look but also gives a feeling of commitment to employees to such place. In my opinion it wouldn't be cost saving as well so I think companies won't changeto coworking spaces.
Unknown said…
I haven't worked in a coworking space before, but I have thought about it.

I would consider both options. Depending on the type of the startup. Different organizations need different work environments. For some having only remote workes is possible, for others they need to have all employees in the office.

I think there is a possibility for that scenario. I think we will see more and more coworking areas so the prices will have to decrease in the long run. I have nothing against working in coworking spaces, so I cross my fingers to see such opportunities in the future.
Yes, I have worked in a coworking space. I was testing the one in Zebra Tower near Warsaw University of Technology.

I would absolutely not consider coworking office as a potential startup's headquarters unless it had a dedicated, completely isolated place in it (which would make it no different from an actual office). When creating a company, one of the most important things (just after making profit) is to establish a company culture. You can’t do that in a place where the majority of people are complete strangers.

I also absolutely don’t agree that companies will switch from regular offices to coworking spaces. Not to mention privacy reasons, running own office is actually more viable in the long term.
Unknown said…
Thanks for your comment, coworking space can indeed be an interesting option for startups having only remote employees. They do not need regular office space on a daily basis, but rather need e.g.: only a conference room for monthly meetings.
Marcin Górski said…
No, I have never worked in a coworking space because all of my commercial experience I achieved in a open space. To be honest, I don't like it because there is often very loud (people are talking, calling etc) and sometimes I can't focus on my job. That's why I prefer 'normal' offices with 4-5 persons rooms and I hope that it will be available in my next job.
What's about second question? It depends on budget and number of people in my startup. I think that own house can be used as office but only for a few months.
I can't agree that big companies will switch types of their offices. I think that actual situation can be cheaper and as long as people aren't evidence that productivity in coworking spaces is more productivity everything will be okay.
Anna Moskalenko said…
Well I have experience of working in a a big office with 8 coworkers near me, I’m not sure if it can be considered as a coworking space. I cannot say that I loved it but I definitely not hated it. Sometimes when I had to do tasks which required concentration I was distracted by my colleagues talks. But on the other hand they always quickly helped me with the stuff that I didn’t understand.
I don’t think that I would ever start a startup. But if I do, probably yes.
I think for a small team, coworking spaces is really a great idea. It is really a convenient option.
Unknown said…
Not yet but I think tis is good idea. For me its better to be in office because I need that feeling to work harder, because if I would work at home that I would be lazy. Yes, I think big companies just now switch to coworking spaces to make small project like create small prototype of video game.
Artem Lipovatyi said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
jse offices said…
great post really helpful for those peoples who was looking for this type of information.Serviced office in singapore

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?