Skip to main content

Week 11 [09.01-15.01] Salvador Dali and his "Persistence of Memory”


https://www.wikiart.org/en/salvador-dali

Salvador Dali is one of the most famous painters in the world. His paintings are unusual; they are different from other paintings. He did not paint the normal world in his pictures. He drew his dreams, his hallucinations, and his fantasies. Some people think that Salvador Dali was a genius while others think that he was demented, but everyone has heard about him and has seen at least one of his paintings. Salvador was good in several types of art. He was not only a painter but also a sculptor and a designer. He made films and cartoons. By the way, he was the person who invented the modern packaging of Chupa-Chups. People wrote books about him to show to the world this genius person.


I love paintings of Salvador Dali. One of his most important paintings is “The Persistence of Memory.” It features images of clocks draped over tree branches as though they were pizza dough. This symbolized Dali's perception of time as something flexible rather than rigid.


The-Persistence-of-Memory.jpg
http://obrazy.org/obraz-salvador-dali-uporczywosc-pamieci-miekkie-zegary_303.html

This painting shows us different interpretations of time. This painting makes us understand that time can be different when you are doing different things. When you are waiting for something or dreaming, time can go very slowly; on the other hand, when you are late, time is running very fast. Only after a few seconds I can recognize a face here, so my feelings changed.
In this painting he used the asymmetrical balance. We can see that left side of the painting looks heavier than the right side. He used mostly warm colors. Even the blue color of  heaven is warm. It looks like time in the afternoon.
In the center of the painting is a center of interest. We cannot recognize what is in the center at first glance. He repeated some elements a few times to make the whole painting coherent.
He used some variety. He has different types of objects. There is a face in the middle, a few watches, a table, a glass, a piece of tree and a red bottle. He used emphasis to show us a figure in the center of the painting.
Salvador Dali used smooth and choppy brush strokes in the same painting. Dali would use long brush strokes for certain objects in his paintings to give them the appearance of a smooth surface. In contrast, he would also paint certain objects in the same painting with short, distinct brush strokes to create a rough or hard surface.
Dali had a different perspective of the surroundings. He was known to actually stand on his head for periods of time in order to induce hallucinations that would inspire his paintings.
Symbolism. Other symbols that appeared in Dali's paintings include fried eggs, which symbolized his supposed pre-birth memories from the womb, and crutches, which he said symbolized "a support for inadequacy." I will attach some of his most famous paintings below.
http://www.dalipaintings.com/swans-reflecting-elephants.jsp

http://www.dalipaintings.com/rose-meditative.jsp


Dali, Salvador. The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí by Salvador Dali. New York: Dover
http://webneel.com/salvador-dali-famous-surreal-optical-illusion-paintings
https://www.wikiart.org/en/salvador-dali



1. Have you seen Dali’s painting before?
2. What do you think about Salvador Dali and his type of art?
3. Would you like to hang some of his paintings in your house?





Comments

Unknown said…
I like Dali's style. Those paintings you mentioned are different - you can't mislead them with anything:you look at them and you know the author. You may don't know him, but you will definitely know that he is eccentric.
I believe that everyone knows his paintings, even if they don't know the author they had to seen “The Persistence of Memory".
Have you ever seen "An Andalusian Dog"? If yes, what do you think about it? How did you found it?
Unknown said…
I like Salvador Dali very much. I prefer this kind of art because at first sight it's not obvious. In September I was in art galery in Prague and I saw art by Salvador Dali and Andy Warhol. For Salvador Dali's art is very good and very strange. I thought what he had in his head that he made his weird art. I recommend to everyone if you have chance to be at his exhibition. Of course I would like to have his painting on my wall.
Blogger said…
Did you know that you can shorten your long urls with Shortest and earn cash from every visit to your shortened links.
Unknown said…
I belive I've seen most of the example paintings before. I like most of them but don't have deeper feelings or thoughts about them.
Ihor Ahnianikov said…
I've seen a few of his paintings both online and in museums. I think that his paintings made a kind of break-though at that time, but now they are not as much as interesting that other modern art. It's like a black square by Malevich, you understand that it's a fundamental thing and it was a revolution in art but it's not really interesting in the modern context.
Unknown said…
Happy to hear you like him!) Definitely, his style is so unique, you'll always recognize him. I've heard of "An Andalusian Dog", but haven't seen it. Honestly, when I read that there will be cutted eye, I understood that it's too much for me(
Unknown said…
I've aready loved his works before visiting his museum in Spain. Also, I've visited his house where still are his stuff such as cars or clothes he designed for his wife. After this trip I undertood his vision little bit more and fell in love with him totaly. There is his autobiograhy "The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí" which can help understand him better. Recommend to read!
Unknown said…
To be honest, yes I have seen some of them but one of my favourite is this one with watches.

I think that Salvador Dali was pretty much crazy, but on the other hand genious and his paitings are very smart and thought - provoking.
I would hang one of them in my house with pleasure.
Unknown said…
I like Salvador Dali paintings and surrealism because these paintings aren't obvious and you must think reflect on their message. I like elaborate symbolism and metaphor contained in them. In these paintings impresses me big craft, they are really realistic. I think in the Polish artists a similar style represents Wojciech Siudmak. http://www.siudmak.com
Unknown said…
So glad to hear you like them! I think the same about surrealism paintings. Thank you for the link, it will be interesing for me to get to know more artists, especially from Poland.
Moode said…
I have seen many of Salvador Dali’s paintings many times. I wish I had more time while being in Barcelona to see his house there.

I also have a book with cook his recipes – “Les dinners de Gala” – maybe not many of you know that Salvador Dali wanted to be a Chef when he was a young boy.

As per his art, I do like it. I even have a little copy statue of a horse made by him at home. His art is a balance between reality and dream to me – daydreaming illusion.
Unknown said…
Actually I find his art very intriguing, I have a copy of the mentioned in the article painting ''The Persistence of Memory''. In my opinion this painting is not obvious and the aspect of time is displayed in more expanded way. I find his style original, because he shows the elements and symbolism of our daily life, of human life, but in a different, unusual context. In my opinion it is one of the most valuable painters of all times.
OlaScislewska said…
Salvador Sali is let's say- must know. His fertileness is example of great talent and atristic madness. His works are distinctive and totaly unique exactly just as himself. His apperance, his style couldnt avoid controversy. Once he was walking on streets of Paris with anteater on a leash.
Worth reading is his book "My secret life" or " Diary of genius"
He treated his-self as a special one, he knew he is different and didn't avoid word better.
Unknown said…
I have heard about Salvador Dali before this article. His person grabbed my attention mainly because of his unusual behaviour. Have you heard about his walk with ant-eater?! You may not believe in that until you actually see this picture:

http://vader.joemonster.org/upload/qyf/9256275dd31bed186547609534561359_T.jpg

In my opinion his paintings mirror his personality. It would be a pleasure to have his art hanged on the walls but I believe that they placed belong to museums and galleries.
kondrat said…
I haven't heard about Salvador Dali before, because I'm not so into paintings... I can remember the painting with watches, which was printed in my Polish language classes book.
Unknown said…
I certainly have heard about Salvador Dali, and his uncommon personality. I like his paintings, as they clearly are unusual and make us take a look at life with different perspective, but i would rather sell his painting than hang it on the wall. I consider them temporary attraciton rather than great piece of art.
Bartosz Łyżwa said…
I've heard about Salvador Dali before and in my opinion, he's amazing. He had great style and his own idea. I've seen his paintings and the first painting of your artice is my favourite. I'm not experienced so much in this art but in my opinion his piece of art is timeless.
When I think about Dali, I see photography of him walking with his pet on the street of Paris. Everything seems ok, but his pet wasant-eater! He was such an eccentric. And because he was a great artist, all the manifestations of eccentricity were considered as an advantages. At a glance - Genius who had a license for being "crazy". What's more - the madness is often well seen in the world of art, but to be honest - he was a great artist.
The first painting with clocks is the only one familiar to me. I never knew the artist though. I really don't like to interprate paintings. I'm a simple person, if I like it I just like it. I don't try to guess what the artist had in mind.
KamilG said…
I’ve seen some paintings of Salvador Dali, I can’t list their names, but if someone showed me his paintings I could recognize them. For me his art works are really impressive, I admire him for ability to affect so strongly on our feelings. In my opinion „Persistence of memory” illustrates excellently the time. I prefer definitely this type of art than boring, mostly similar landsacpes or portraits.
Unknown said…
So glad to hear you like him! I've visited his house in Barcelona too. Have had an amazing experience. Also I own one of copies of his paintings, the one with elephants and swans.
Unknown said…
I'm totally agree with you! You have to think in order to understand his art what is amazing! It's a process, not just one look. His pictures are magnetizing.
Unknown said…
I like so much your phrase "artistic madness"! It's totally about him. I've read his "Secret life" and I think it's kind of essential thing in order to understand him.
Unknown said…
Thank you! So nice to hear.
Unknown said…
I have studied art, that's why I've read a lot about Dali, and I love his paintings. Surrealism is very interesting for me. But unfortunetaly many people love Dali only because it was popular to love Dali:) I wish people spend more affords to learn about art.
Nice to see that the author of the article can tell so much about this great painter. Thank you for your article. I am very glad to find here this kind of article.
I also love Bosch, who inspired Salvador Dali. He is one of my favorite. Also Peter Bruegel. And I can make an endless list:))
Dali is one of my favourites artist. I just love his style. It is amazing. I'm not huge fan of art and paintings but Salvador Dali really moves me. His way of painting is incredible. You can always say that it is one of his work. His style is unique. I would love to hang one of his paintings at my home. I think he was(is) one of the greatest artist of all time. Truly genius and really committed to his work. I really recommend you this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1eLeIocAcU

It is amazing like his work.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?