Skip to main content

Week 11 [09.01-15.01]                                    

Coffee is Love



   Espresso - this 40 ml portion of a saturated beverage with a light-brown foam is so common that it seems to be the dominant form of existence of coffee. You could find it in the menu of most restaurants, coffee shops and in a chain of street machines. Some fans are preparing coffee with home equipment.
    Espresso became popular outside Italy just after World War II, however, the first espresso machine of a modern type came to life a little over a century ago. In 1901, the Milanese engineer Luigi Bezzera has patented the "advanced device for making and immediate delivery of coffee drinks." The method and the coffee itself got the name because of the principle of operation of the Bezzera's device. Water with steam percolates under the pressure through milled and compacted grains, extracting the caffeine and flavors to the cup. For a hundred years the appearance of coffee machine has changed a bit, but, in fact, the drink is brewed in the same way.



   Taste depends partly of the type of coffee and the country of its origin, but there are special kinds of coffee that best suit espresso. Currently, the companies combine the main varieties of coffee (Arabica and Robusta) to achieve a certain flavor characteristics of the final beverage. Also, the taste and flavor of the final product is influenced by such factors as berry picking, transport and storage of grains, as well as by roasting and grinding the coffee. 

But Arabica or Robusta?
   We have all heard those words, but not everyone knows the difference. This 2 types of coffee that are grown in the world. Other species are rare or not suitable for preparing a beverage.
   Arabica. Taste, flavor, and taste again. And the flavor. Yes, Arabica makes the taste in your cup. This variety is significantly more expensive than Robusta because of the complexity in growing. But Arabica gives us that flavor, which we love so much coffee for.
   Robusta. Caffeine and strength. The caffeine content in Robusta is 2-3 times higher than in Arabica. Net Robusta has a bright flavor, the drink turns out strong and bitter. The low cost is due to ease of cultivation. Robusta is not afraid of pests and is resistant to bad weather. It requires less care.
   In what proportions should you mix? Classic Italian blend is made of 20% Robusta and 80% Arabica. All blends, which contain more robusta - is only an attempt to save money. 20% of Robusta gives the necessary strength, foam, if prepared in an espresso machine.





   Skilled barista and espresso machine settings also affect the taste. According to the Italian canons one cup of espresso is brewed with five to ten grams of the grain - so it came since the Bezzera days  - and always under the pressure of 15 bar.
   The taste of coffee is so different that tasters use special scales with all possible options, both pleasant and not so. It is believed that a good drink should be balanced with sourness and bitterness, but it should not be too sour.




How to drink espresso

   Espresso is served with a glass of clean water, but not in an order to kill the bitterness of strong coffee, as many people think. Water is essential to clean the taste buds in the mouth - so it's easier to feel and enjoy the taste of a drink. In addition, the coffee takes fluid from the body, so a glass of water will correct the balance. Before you drink, the espresso should be steered by a vertical spoon two or three times to evenly distribute throughout the volume of components with different physical properties.
   With the first sip you estimate the temperature and the density of the coffee: if it is watery, or thick or shielding. Thus it is necessary to do a little breath at the throat. The second sip is needed to understand the range of taste and aroma. The espresso blend is a mix of sour, bitter and sweet tastes which should flow smoothly and complement each other. One or more taste may predominate, but not overlap the others. The aroma of the beverage may be nutty, caramel, chocolate or fruity. In general, a sign of good espresso - are the taste and the aroma, that you could describe.




    Good coffee requires a thoughtful approach and special skills. However, everyone could try to make a decent drink for himself. In this tricky business it's important to avoid the common mistakes in choosing the proper product. The grain has the most intense taste shortly after frying - it is not necessary to keep them longer than a month and to buy for future use. You should not go to the store, where the product is certainly kept for a long time. It would be better to find a special boutique or verified coffee shop, where the quality of grains is under control. The experts know exactly how to store the coffee in a right way to keep its features. In addition, you can discuss your preferences with a professional in such stores. Also, between the ground coffee and coffee beans you should always choose the grain - for the same reasons of the preservation of taste properties. If the quality of the product is guaranteed, then everything will depend on your skill.

Do you like coffee? Which one is your favorite? What places do you visit in Warsaw to grab one? 

Sources:
http://www.bezzera.it/index.php?lang=it
http://2coffeemaniacs.ru/arabika-ili-robusta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espress

Comments

Unknown said…
I love coffee so I fully agree with the title of this topic: Coffee is Love ;)

To be honest, in my case there are two reasons why I love it so much:
1. I don't like (maybe even hate) tea. It doesn't taste good to me. My friends love tea, my girlfriend drinks it very often, but for me... bleeeeh :p Apart from the taste, after drinking tea I have always a stomach ache.

2. Coffee just taste very, very good to me. I cannot explain why. I like different types of coffee and it is always delicious (apart from cases when somebody can't prepare it, but I'm not demanding ;) ).

I don't have favourite type of coffee. It depends on a day. I drink espresso, latte, cappucino, americano, moccha and even green chai latte (made by Green Caffee Nero).
My last discovery is red chai latte. For me, it's just taste of Christmas. It consists of red espresso, milk, honey, cinnamon and... cloves. Delicious...

As I said, I drink coffee in Green Caffe Nero. It's my favourite place to drink coffee out. I like Starbucks too. These two cafes have a climate (in contrast to Costa). But usually I drink coffee at home or prepare it to my thermal mug and take it out - just everywhere.
Unknown said…
Never before have I met someone who doesn't like every single tea, quite interesting... I love every kind of it, doesn't matter if green, white, fruity or black.
So if you tried chai latte and enjoyed it, maybe you should try green coffee? This beverage does not taste like coffee at all, it's something more similar to tea, I would say. Or maybe you've already tried it?
Having read you comment I set my heart on red chai latte, definately I have to try it!

As for the expresso I hate the sour and bitter taste of it, however, I love all kinds of latte, cappucino and moccha. The more extraordinary additives, the better so that's why I adore such places like Green Caffee Nero - their beverages are out of this world!
Ihor Ahnianikov said…
I like coffee as much as I like tea, but for some reason coffee affects my mental state a lot - even if a drink an espresso I start feeling nervous of something like this. Maybe it's some kind of allergy, but I like the coffee taste so I don't mind drinking latte or something similar once in a while. Usually I buy it at Green Cafe Nero.
Unknown said…
I like coffee with milk. My favorite coffee is latte. I also like a cup of coffee with a touch of caramel. Always I drink two cups a day. I don't know what is the best coffee shop in Warsaw because I don't visit the cafe. My girfriend is doing the best coffee haha :)
Unknown said…
I can't say that I like coffee, but I drink it everyday, because it gives me a good portion of energy at the beggining of the day.
My favourite type is espresso. It doesn't contain any unnecessary ingredients like milk or sugar.
I avoid visiting cafes and cofee shops. I usually drink coffee at home while eating breakfast.
Unknown said…
I'm not a coffee fan actually, but it is changing. Sometimes I buy coffee at Costa Coffee at my work place, beacuse there is one barista, who is great. I say "Something delicious" and I'm getting what I ordered ;) But it is expensive, so I'm not drinking this coffee often.
I remember, that after my interview I felt awful, because I was sure that is was really bad and I won't get the job, so at the train station I bought coffee. I looked as a misfortune and barista made me hearts out of cinamone on the foam. That was really sweet and that day I decided that I like Costa :)
P.S. I got the job ;)
Dajana Kubica said…
I can not call myself a gourmet coffee, because I can not swallow any drop of coffee without milk. My favorite coffee is a latte or cappuccino, of course with lot of milk. On a daily basis I drink instant coffee Jacobs Kronung, which is, unfortunately, worse quality than brewed coffee, but I like taste of it. In Warsaw, I usually drink coffee at Starbucks or Costa.
Unknown said…
I like coffee but it should be only coffee without milk and sugar. In home I have espresso maker from Italian company Bialetti. I think coffee prepare by espresso maker is really aromatic, it takes more time than make coffee in automatic express but taste different. Recently, very popular are alternative methods of brewing coffee for example drip or aeropress.
You could read more here:
http://coffee-affair.co.uk/alternative-coffee-brewing-methods/

In Warsaw there are a few cafes serving coffee brewed using alternative methods and the coffee there isn't more expensive than in the chain cafes. Of course we could try it in home but it requires a lot of patience if we want to make a good coffee.
Unknown said…
Green coffee?
I haven't tried, but after reading about it in the Net and your recommendation I will!

I don't know how it works with tea. I just don't like it. Although.. there were some days during winter 2015 that I was going to home and thought "hmmm... I have to drink cup of tea" ;) Quite strange :p

Yeah, because of the bitter taste of espresso, it's not suitable each day, in my case :) so fully understand you ;)
Moode said…
I really like drinking coffee, however it is not easy to find a place that serves it well in Warsaw. There are a few small coffee shops with a nice selection of coffee, such as Ekspres Powiśle. Everyone that works there will be more than happy to help you find something to suit your taste. They not only make coffee in a traditional way, but also using chemex, drop or air drops.
As per the favorite type of coffee, I think that the more simple the better – I go for a classic espresso or black coffee, with no milk or sugar added.
Some time ago I used to drink a lot of coffee, I can safely say I became almost addicted to it - there was no single day without at least two or three cups of coffee. I managed to get rid of this habit and now I drink a lot of tea instead, but only in the winter. What is interesting caffeine have no perceivable stimulating effect on me, so I like to drink coffee only because of its flavour. I think I don't have single favourite type of coffee. I like espresso (although not too sour), but sometimes I prefer latte or cappuccino.
OlaScislewska said…
Coffe for me is like elixir of life. Every single day I start with coffe, thats my routine and kind of ritual. I believe coffe That gives me energy and i am not really sure if it works like that or it is only a placebo effect. Anyway i feel better after cup of coffe in the morning.
My favourite coffe is of course in Italy, and didnt used to drink espresso and they taught me and now i can say grazie for that - i didnt know how much i was loosing.
In Warsaw I can recommend 'Ministry of Coffee' located on Marszałkowska street, one of my favourite coffes is also 'Brednia' in Łódź obviously on Piotrkowska street.
I'm really not a coffee lover because tea is my main hot drink used daily. It's hard to impress me with a good coffee but there are few places in Wola that can do so. I drink it mainly for the taste not for the caffeine (I'm resistant to it - only high dosage of it or pure Guarana works). I can recommend Miau Cafe - the unusual place but always full of beautiful woman and serving very good coffee - and that can make good Latte or Americana a whole new experience.
I like drinking coffee, but I don't think so that I'm a connoisseur. I like latte and simply coffee with milk, that is all I need in the morning.
Unknown said…
I like to drink coffee, but really rarely. I'm not a big fan of it, just sometimes I have a feeling like I would love to drink one. I never drank a lot of coffee. For me it is enough to drink one coffee per month or even not drinking it at all. I drink a lot of tea instead. Green tea to be precise. I just love it. I don't have any special favourite type of coffee, but I like latte the most I think. I use all the usual cafes, like Starbucks, Nero, Costa etc. I would like to try new places as well - why not to try totally new things?
Michał Pycek said…
First of all, I don't think I love coffe and cannot live without it, I drink it once in a while when I feel like. I'm more of a tea-person.
Secondly, when I drink it, it can be just black coffee or mocca.
Last but not least fact about my preferences regarding coffee...
I don't go to grab a cup of coffee in Warsaw because to me it is a waste of time :-) I prefer to go out to a restaurant to eat and drink some wine instead. I just do not find drinking coffee at coffee shops specifically interesting and typical to me.
Unknown said…
Together with my girlfriend we are coffee lovers. Our personal favourite is Carmel Late Macchiato from Costa café house. Coffee is unintegral part of our day. It is also a good break in the middle of stressful day.
Unknown said…
f course, I like coffee. Most often I drink instant coffee . My parents have coffee machine, they have fresh coffee. I often add coconut oil to coffee. This may seem strange but if coffee is more saty in my opinion it tastes better. It is so good that I don't drink it with milk. I like coffee from green nero cafe the most. I believe that it is the best while Starbucks is overrated.
Andrzej Gulak said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wojtek Kania said…
I'm not a big fan of coffee. I drink coffee only very rare. I don't drink coffee for more energy. When I meet with friends in Starbucks I often drink tea. I really like Green Caffe Nero for a really good friendly atmosphere.
Adam Nowak said…
Caffeine is a psychoactive drug, and can seriously hurt you if you are not careful with it. But i love some coffee in the morning though :) I don't have favourite coffee, but for me stronger coffee equals better coffee.
I don't agree that Robusta is added to the mix just to lower the cost. Now the most popular coffee type is Arabica, which has this sour taste and people add Robusta to it for better taste. Personally I like black coffe(Americano) and my favourite is in proportion 25% Robusta to 75% Arabica. And it has great taste. I drink coffee almost every day and I know a little about it. The best place to drink coffee is Charlotte(they have it this exact proportion) and Ministerstwo Kawy if you want to experiment with different types of coffee. I really can recommend both of this places.
Jarek_Ziem said…
Yes, but I prefer the Robusta type over the Arabica one. Coffee is love, coffee is life. My favorite one is cappuccino with almond syrup, no extra sugar. Mostly green café Nero, I don’t even know why, they have this friendly atmosphere in their cafeterias, I don’t even mind the coffee which is very nice, by the way.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?