Skip to main content

Week 10 [11-17.01.2021] - Extra seat at the table for Christmas Eve in Poland

Christmas is a special time and has special traditions. In Poland we also have a few of them. For example, waiting for the first star in the sky to start dinner, sharing Christmas wafer at the beginning of it, putting hay under a tablecloth or preparing 12 meals. But there is an extra one that I will take a closer look at in this article.

src: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Jzqf7EIC6eLyDw_x0PAO4FHlDaBU21thFqjUzj6yMDlEV8sCxPLnzfFhZnJmABftD4nKe8I=s128

Preparing extra seat at the table for an unexpected guest is one of the most famous Polish Christmas Eve traditions, but where did it come from? I have found three main hypotheses.


Origin:

 

1. Pagan rite

Obiat – one of the old Slavic pagan rituals. It is about leaving an empty seat during the feast in honor of the dead and ancestors. When a participant wants to take a seat, he/she must sweep a chair to “excuse" the soul.

2. The Holy Bible

Another explanation talks about Jesus’s  birth. According to the New Testament, when Virgin Mary and Joseph were travelling to Nazareth, she started to give birth mid-way, in Bethlehem. They were looking for a shelter, but nobody wanted to let them into the house. Finally, they found a place to stay in a stable. The story tells us that we should be ready every time to host an unexpected guest and not to turn away from people in need.

3. The January Uprising

The last hypothesis talks about one of the biggest uprisings in Polish history, January Uprising in 1863. It  leads to the mass deportation of Poles to Siberia, and the empty seat gained a new meaning, except for the deceased and ancestors, it expressed hope deportees would return. 

src: Still from the film 'Diabelskie Szczęście' (The Devil's Luck), photo: Filmoteka Narodowa / www.fototeka.fn.org.pl

All of the hypotheses are really interesting and full of emotion, but even considering  Polish hospitality and old saying "A Guest in the House is God in the House" I would be personally little scared and suspicious if a stranger came to my house during Christmas Eve.

 

Questions:

1. Do you know about some other extra Christmas traditions that haven't been mentioned in the article? If yes, write about them.

2. Did you know about the origin of the extra plate tradition? Maybe you heard some other hypotheses?

3. Imagine someone knocks at your door during Christmas Eve, would you let him/her in?

 

Sources:

https://culture.pl/en/article/why-do-poles-leave-one-chair-empty-on-christmas-eve

https://culture.pl/en/article/polish-christmas-eve-traditions

https://en.polishexpress.co.uk/why-do-poles-leave-one-chair-empty-on-christmas-eve

http://kidsinthecity.pl/polish-christmas-traditions-and-celebrations/

Comments

Karol Michalak said…
1. Do you know about some other extra Christmas traditions that haven't been mentioned in the article? If yes, write about them.
Yes, the 12 dishes that are usually served on "Chirstmas Eve" are not taken from Christ apostles but from 12 months in year. Every dish is gratidude for different month in the old year.

2. Did you know about the origin of the extra plate tradition? Maybe you heard some other hypotheses?
Yes, I also know that when during this holiday time someone came as guest they where also brought to the table as many people believed it could be reincarnated ancestor or lone ghost and it is better to have it on your side than feel his wrath.

3. Imagine someone knocks at your door during Christmas Eve, would you let him/her in?
Depends who it is. Personally as long as this guest won't make negactive effect on climate and would behave himself I don't see a problem. It could be factor that may make this holidays differerent from other in the pas in a good way.
@Karol Michalak
Thanks for your comment, to be honest I haven't heard about the origin of 12 dishes traditions. Ancestors and ghosts, I think it could be another example of remnants of pagan rituals.
I agree, it can be something special and it can make Christmas Eve different, but still I think I would feel uncomfortable.
1. Do you know about some other extra Christmas traditions that haven't been mentioned in the article? If yes, write about them.
I know about putting hay and money under the table cloth during Christmas eve dinner. It is believed to bring money. My mother always practices that. Another tradition is Christmas congratulations. When you are invited to a Christmas eve dinner you are supposed to make congratulations (in my region there is a special formula).
2. Did you know about the origin of the extra plate tradition? Maybe you heard some other hypotheses?
I have heard before about the origin and in my family they say is for the lost wanderer.
3. Imagine someone knocks at your door during Christmas Eve, would you let him/her in?
This year we decided with my mom to skip this tradition (because we did not have so many plates from the festive set). And guess what! An unannounced guest appeared! Unfortunately, it was my cousin who is a black sheep in the family (everyone was shocked because we thought he was in another country). The moral of this story is that if you don't want to have unannounced guests, you'd better place an extra table setting.
@Justyna Woźniak
Putting money under the tablecloth, I haven't tried it yet. It can explain my tight budget 😃. Story about lost wanderer it's the one that I've been using to explain myself this empty seat tradition before I've done research for this article. My family and I skipped this tradition this year too, but one more time unannounced guest didn't appear. I just hope that your Christmas Eve wasn't disturbed by lost wanderer.
1. Do you know about some other extra Christmas traditions that haven't been mentioned in the article? If yes, write about them.

I think you forgot to attach the mistletoe, which is a symbol of love. You also forgot about a special mass in the church - the popular "Pasterka". It seems to be quite a special moment during the Christmas holidays. If it weren't for the pandemic, I would definitely go to this type of event.

2. Did you know about the origin of the extra plate tradition? Maybe you heard some other hypotheses?

Yes, of course, there is always an additional place prepared in my house - especially for the weary traveler. The most popular theory is related to the Bible, in line with the Christian tradition.

3. Imagine someone knocks at your door during Christmas Eve, would you let him/her in?

This year, Christmas in my home was sad. Unfortunately, all household members contracted the coronavirus, so I spent Christmas only with my immediate family. I didn't visit my grandparents or my cousins for fear of getting infected. Therefore, this year, for security reasons, I would not let anyone in.
@Daniel Trzaskoma
Oh yes, old and good Pasterka. Personally I prefer estate edition to church edition. I know what you feel, my Christmas Eve also wasn't as happy as is used to be. My brother didn't enter the house because he is a paramedic, and he didn't want to risk my family members health, so he was standing on the terrace and talk to us from behind the window.
1. Do you know about some other extra Christmas traditions that haven't been mentioned in the article? If yes, write about them.
I must say that this article was very well written. I can't think of anything else to add. I know of no more traditions than those mentioned in the article above

2. Did you know about the origin of the extra plate tradition? Maybe you heard some other hypotheses?
Before reading this article, I had no idea about the tradition associated with extra plate. Nor had I heard any other hypotheses about it

3. Imagine someone knocks at your door during Christmas Eve, would you let him/her in?
Of course they do. Christmas has always been celebrated in my family. My parents prepare an extra plate every time. It has never happened yet that someone knocks on our door that evening, but if it does happen they will be invited inside.
@Mateusz Ćwikliński
I really appreciate your comment. It's amazing to read that truly kind words. I'm really pleased that you've learned something new from my article, hope you enjoyed reading it!

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?