Skip to main content

Week 8 [14-20.12.20] Possibilities of investment


 Did you consider the best ways of investing your money ? A lot of people put their money in bank deposits with a small rate of return. Especially in 2020 banks changed it to 1-2% which depends on the amount of money. This is so popular because your money is safe under 100 thousand Euro and you have guarantee that you will get profit after a specific date. Similar solutions are saving accounts where you collect profit each month and you can withdraw your money anytime. Many people don’t know that currently inflation is higher than rate of return in ways that I mentioned before. So what can we do to avoid losing value of money ? There are a lot of possibilities but each of them has some risks and it is not guaranteed as the previous options. Many people prefer to buy the gold in crisis because it is perceived as a good security for money in whole centuries before.



As you can see on the chart in 2020 the gold value has increased and right now it’s placed around 1840 USD per ounce. We can expect lower prices provided that the vaccine will be found. Anyway in previous years it was a good option as a long term investment.

Next alternative is investing on the stock exchange. Probably everyone heard about this but the truth is it can be the most risky way if you don’t have any knowledge and have never been interested in this before. Anyway this year more and more people are starting their adventure with stock exchange.


For example on the screen above you can see the number of investment accounts in Poland (The shown value is in thousand).


There are a lot of possibilities and strategies of investing money on stock exchange. The simplest way is buying shares on the stock exchange. A lot of investors prefer long term investment in companies that will potentially grow or pay regular dividends. It is quite popular to have a few dividend companies on American Stock like Coca-Cola or PepsiCo that will regularly pay money and their value is also quite stable.





Another passive strategy is index investing. It means that you buy for example Polish WIG20 and if the twenty biggest companies will keep growing then the index will be increased and you will receive gain. Obviously there is still some risk related to the situation. For example in March when a pandemic has broken out every company noticed quite a big decrease. In theory companies focus on growing and making more money so in the long time term it should be profitable.

On stock exchange you can find many more possibilities like for example financial leverage, investing on decrease of something (it is called “short”) or even investing on raw materials. In the long term one of the safest and profitable solutions is to build the diversified wallet. It can consist of dividend companies, raw materials, shares etc.

Anyway on the stock exchange you can make big profits but it requires a lot of knowledge and without that a lot of people are losing their money. It is good to stay out of emotions and make smart decisions.



  1. Do you invest your money ? If the answer is positive - what is your favourite way to do that ?

  2. Did you try to invest money on the stock market ? What was your best investition ? / Would you try it ?

  3. Do you know some other possibilities to save money from inflation ?



Sources:

https://www.investing.com/equities/coca-cola-co-dividends

https://www.bankier.pl/gospodarka/wskazniki-makroekonomiczne/liczba-rachunkow-inwestycyjnych-pol

https://goldprice.org/gold-price-chart.html

https://www.lynxbroker.pl/edukacja/najlepsze-amerykanskie-akcje-dywidendowe/

https://rynekinwestycji.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/adobestock_233874745.jpeg

Comments

Interesting presentation. Answering your questions:

1. Yes, I invest my funds in foreign deposits, which are much more advantageous than Polish ones. They have higher interest rates and are also very safe. Before investing money in a foreign bank, I always read the opinions about this bank and the law.

2. No, do not invest in the stock market as I have no experience in doing so. Besides, exchanges tend to be risky and long-term. I think that when I have more time and money, I will think about investing in the stock market.
Thanks! :)
Foreign deposits sounds interesting. I will read about it later this week. Probably one of the hardest thing is exchange currency without loss right ? How did you do that ?
1. Yes, I think I started investing money at the best possible time - after the pandemic started. I personally invest in currencies and arts.

2. No, I have never invested money on the stock exchange because I do not fully understand the processes taking place there. I like to be aware of what I am doing, which is why, as I mentioned in point 1, I invest in art and currencies. So far I cannot say whether I made a good or bad investment because I am a "long term" player. I will come back to this question in 10 years.

3. You just have to spend and invest them. If the money is in your account and nothing is being done to it, you have to be aware that you are actually losing some percentage of them.
This comment has been removed by the author.
1. Yes, I do. I try to keep all of my investments as safe as possible, so currently I hold a mix of low-risk investment funds shares and some government bonds. I honestly, don't have a 'favourite' way to invest money, I assume one would have to have tried multiple options, whereas I was quite limited in that area. I definitely need to look into savings and investments more in the future.

2. Not yet. I have thought about it many times, but due to my limited knowledge of that area and not much money I could spare for a potentially risky investment, I've never tried it. Just like you said in your presentation, "(...) it requires a lot of knowledge' and I'm just not there yet. I have never thought of shares of big, stable companies as a safe(ish), long-term investment, I'll have to look into that more.

3.Certainly, as I've said before, I hold some government bonds and pretty much all of them are indexed directly with inflation+some flat percentages. They even have other benefits over savings accounts, for example, you can withdraw money from them early without losing all of the profit, which is commonly the case with savings accounts. Unfortunately, they are burdened with 19% personal income tax, which in some high-inflation cases might result in you not only not having any profit, but also losing money to inflation.
@Paweł Bluszcz
I agree with you. That was the best possible time to start investing. What do you mean that you invest in art ? Are you buying some masterpieces ? Is it profitable ?
@Robert Gawryś-Poniewierka
Yes, i agree with you. The best possibility is to have diversified portfolio. Anyway do you think that government bonds are a good option? I think one year ago it wasn't profitable as even bank deposit
Do you invest your money ? If the answer is positive - what is your favourite way to do that ?
Yes I invest money in my "bright future" t e "education".

Did you try to invest money on the stock market ? What was your best investition ? / Would you try it ?
No I have never done that yet

Do you know some other possibilities to save money from inflation ?
No I have problems with saving money, I need learn how to do that.
Jakub Dzień said…
Do you invest your money ? If the answer is positive - what is your favourite way to do that ?

Yes. I have been dealing with investments since I was 18 years old. Currently, I can afford a little risk, so most of the time I invest in cryptocurrencies.

Did you try to invest money on the stock market ? What was your best investition ? / Would you try it ?

Yes. I started my investment story on the Polish stock exchange. I didn't have any particular achievements but I managed to earn some money from it.

Do you know some other possibilities to save money from inflation ?

Only investments protect us from inflation. Investing in real estate seems the most certain, but to be able to do it, you need to have some capital set aside.
Jakub Łukowski said…
Yes, I invest my money, but I do not do it regularly, I prefer doing short term investments when I find some opportunity. Couple of years ago I invested in cryptocurrencies, right before the biggest growth, which was a quiet good decision. Before that I tried trading on fiat currencies on forex, but I do not recommend it as it is very time consuming.

I never invested my money on the stock market, but I think I will try it soon. Some time ago I got interested in algorithmic trading strategies and created some models of my own, operating on couple of companies on Warsaw Stock Exchange, but right now I do not have time to purse it. It is also hard to get good API and datasets from Polish brokers or banks.

Generally, I think the best investment is to create exponentially growing company, but that is always risky and very demanding task. Simpler than that, there are a lot of different financial instruments that investing in will prevent one’s money from losing value.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?