Skip to main content

Week 11- Yakuza as a phenomena of traditional Japan



One of the most striking phenomena in the Japanese society are a criminal yakuza groupings. Unlike the Western mafia associations, the yakuza are legitimate formations with clear rules and a strict code of honor.  Japanese people have put up with the existence of criminal clans for a long-long, considering them an integral part of the traditional way of life. However, under the pressure of the authorities, the level of confidence in the yakuza has been gradually decreasing in recent years.





There is not enough reliable information about how exactly  such phenomena came to life.  Some members of this community tend to consider themselves descendants of the Samurai class, many of whom in the distant past lost Suzerains and became wandering ronin. This point of view allows the yakuza to create around itself an aura of romance and nobility.


The precursors of the yakuza appeared in XVII-XVIII centuries and began to gain influence in XIX, especially during the Meiji Restoration. They’ve put under their control spheres like: economic development and subsequent industrialization, and also industrial production and the labor market. By that time, the bandits were already actively cooperating with the local police, in exchange for protection, they were supplied with information. In addition, law enforcement officers and the Yakuza had an agreement on the division of responsibilities: in exchange for permission to carry weapons (mainly swords) and a number of other preferences mafia was obliged to perform a police functions when the local police didn’t have enough of its own resources.



The rapprochement of the yakuza with the authorities continued in the 20th century. Especially fast pace of it was at the background of the economic recession in the period before the Second World War. On the one hand, the mafia could effectively suppress the actions of the indignant residents, for which it continued to receive various indulgences. On the other hand, under the guidance of the yakuza, various kinds of gangs were rising up.

The families and clans of the yakuza union are called only conditionally, usually there are no kinships between their members. Relations that connects gang members can be called „Quasi-family”. We are talking about the system of „Oyabun”-„Kobun”, where the first is conditionally a father, and the second is a conditionally son. This hierarchical system isn’t characteristic  of only criminal groups: according to the same principle, participants in many other  japanese associations : like  companies, political parties, public organizations, etc.

At the same time, relations between some yakuzas are stronger than in other collectives, especially when it comes to the execution of a boss's order.It is an unthinkable act for a clan member to disobey his „Oyabun”. If for some reason the „Kobun” did not fulfill the will of his „Oyabun” or compromised his clan, he makes a ritual, which became a visiting card of the yakuza all over the world, to cut off the last phalanx of the little finger (or an unnamed finger if the offense happened twice or more). This ritual originates from an ancient Japan, when it had not only symbolic, but also practical significance: without a little finger or a part of it, it was much more difficult for a warrior to wield a sword, which made him more dependent of his master and other members of the collective to whom he had committed offenses.


Another distinguishing feature of yakuza, which is familiar to many foreigners, are huge tattoos that can cover the entire body. However, as a rule, bandits carefully hide them from prying eyes. One of the reasons that the yakuza seek to decorate his body as much as possible is the desire to demonstrate the fortitude of the spirit and the contempt for physical suffering. Usually these tattoos are made manually, without  use of any special devices. It may take a very long time to create a pattern like on the photo above – up to several years.

Sources



Thanks for reading this! Hope you found something new.

1.     Did you see any movies about Yakuza?
2.     Have you heard about criminal groupings in your country?

Comments

Iman Masjedi said…
yes, the last movie that i saw about Yakuza it was : Outrage 2010

Mafia groups are the most famous criminal groups in the world who work in different countries in different sectors.
I saw a huge amount of Yakuza movies. Maybe a lot of them are not real, but i have a notion what does it mean. I heard a lot about criminal grouping in my country. My city where i was born is the most criminal city in the country. But i don't know if all the gossip facts are truth or not. I prefer to believe tested sources.
Unknown said…
I didn't see any movies which had the Yakuza as their main topic, but references to this gang are quite often in action movies.
I heard about Pruszków mafia from Poland, apparently it was quite successful at the time.
Illia Lukisha said…
1. Did you see any movies about Yakuza?
No, I didn't.

2. Have you heard about criminal groupings in your country?
And no. Criminals don't bother me.
Anna Koca said…
1. Did you see any movies about Yakuza?
I remember it not from a movie, but from GTA 2 :) There were three groups that you could do missions for: Yakuza (Japanese), Zaibatsu (Chinese) and Rednecks (American). I've heard also about the Triade, but I guess this one is of Chinese descent.

2. Have you heard about criminal groupings in your country?
Of course. The famous Wołomin and Pruszków opposing groups. They were more famous in the 90s than now. Today I don't think there are famous criminal groups in Poland. At least none that I know of.
I have seen program World inside out (Svit na vyworit) and there was episode about Yakuza and this has been very interesting because reporter has tried to go inside in to the yakudza group and he has succeed in this and there was very cool how he has communicated with this group and he met a boss and drink with him sake.
Unknown said…
1. Did you see any movies about Yakuza?
Not at all. It's not the topic I've been interested in for a long time unfortunately.

2. Have you heard about criminal groupings in your country?
Yes, there were two, but I don't know about their status nowadays. Probably they don't exist anymore.
No I haven't seen any movie about Yakuza itself, but there are plenty of side stories in other movies that mention Yakuza. Image from movies is the only one I have about this group. I've heard that they are cruel group but with honor nothing more. Yes, we had in our country famous criminal groups like Pruszkow, Wolomin but to my knowledge they are gone by now.
Unknown said…
I don't think there was any particular movie but for sure saw it as part of a film plot.
Heard a lot actually in news its quite a popular topic. Also there are a lot of series that shows real-like life of such organizations.
Vladlen Kyselov said…
Yes, I have seen some films about them. I know that there are criminal groups in my country, but I don`t really remember their names. Actually I can say that all Ukraine government is a big criminal organization.
Unknown said…
1.I din't see any films about Yakuza. I think that it's first time that i heard about it. My knowledge abou Japan is really poor. But it's next new thing to know about the world.

2. I live in small city so we don't have criminal groupings. I live in Legionowo and we have Police Training Center so we are rather police city.
Andrzej Gulak said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patryk Górski said…
1. Did you see any movies about Yakuza?

Unfortunately not, but I would like to watch some about them. I need to do a research which movies are the best.

2. Have you heard about criminal groupings in your country?

Yes, I've heard a lot about them. Actually I do like to read about them, or watch movies. It's a very interesting topic for me.
Unknown said…
1. Only documentary films and a game where although completely fictional main story revolves around members of Yakuza. Game itself is called Yakuza 0.
2. I’ve heard about the ones from football hooligans environments being the most violent and least organized. You can also from time to time hear about some illegal activities performed by so called mafia which usually means some crooks operating on corporate level.
Marcin Górski said…
I have never watched any movies about Yakuza but I remember that this criminal group was mentioned in old game - GTA 3. Have you ever played that game?
Hmm, I have heard about two major groups in Warsaw - 'Pruszkow' and 'Mokotow'. I haven't live in this times but I have read a lot of books about that. It was very terrible but I was very interesting so I wouldn't have missed these films.
Unknown said…
1. Never interested in Yakuza. I've never seen a movie, but I'm interested in the topic I read about in this article.
2. No, when I have not heard. Do they exist in other countries except of Japan?
Unknown said…
I haven't seen the movies about Yakuza, but I have seen some where they appeared and their set of rules was mentioned. In my opinion, Yakuza phenomena is quite interesting and I would like to learn more about the topic. From the films I have learned that they had a specific "tradition" which concerns punishments. If one of clan members had made some fault, the phalanxes of his fingers were cut off - one for each significant failure, and the culprit had to do it himself. When one finger was cut to the end, he moved on to the next one. This custom also came from the past: the fewer fingers the yakuza retained, the harder it was for him to hold the sword, which means that his dependence on the protection of the boss and the clan grew. Now it is more symbolic. I have also heard that because of the preparations for the summer Olympic Games - 2020, which will be held in Tokyo, the Yakuza expects revenue growth - they own a significant share of construction companies in the country.
Unknown said…
I didn’t know that some of the Yakuza members are considered to be descendants of the Samurai. It is interesting. I think that I didn’t watch movies about Yakuza. It is interesting that people with tattoos in Japan are associated with crime. In Poland, not long ago tattoos were also badly received. Today tattoos are normal. From what I know, 1 in 10 people have a tattoo. The most famous crime group I've heard of are mafia Wołomin and Pruszkow. I spent my childhood in Wyszków, which was associated with one of these groups. There were shootings. I remember most about the shooting on the beach where one of the mafia members from was shooting from the bridge.
Unknown said…
1. Did you see any movies about Yakuza?
No, I did not, but it seems pretty interesting. I think I will watch one, because I'm interested in Japanese culture.
2. Have you heard about criminal groupings in your country?
Yes, for example mafia pruszkowska, mokotowska, etc.
Wojtek Protasik said…
I didn't or at least I don't remember. I know I saw some movies where gangs were working pretty similar but as in the action movies, they were not reliable source of the information about this topic.

Yes, I have heard about criminal groups. Some people are fascinated by this topic and I also talked to them.
Unknown said…
I don't remember any movies which was particularly about the Yakuza but this family often appears in movies about a mafia. I watched a documentary movie about different mafia families but now I don't remember the title. I have heard about criminal groups in Poland like "Mafia Pruszkowska", "Grupa Mokotowska", "Gang obcinaczy palców".
Cecylia said…
1. Did you see any movies about Yakuza?
no i did not, not yet but now i will.
2. Have you heard about criminal groupings in your country?
i heard about mafia pruszków and that all i know
Unknown said…
I have watched a few in my life. I have a general opinion on it, but probably it's something different that moves created in my mind.

I think everybody has heard or met one of a member of one of many essential and frightening Polish Mafia group. Many movies were recorded about old Polish mafia members, about their criminal carries and how their life used to look like in their bright times.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?