Skip to main content

Week 10 [29.05-04.06.2017] - A trip around festivals


Festivals are living and dancing museums of culture and tradition. One of the best ways to know some country is participate in celebrating its feasts. Every country has own way to show its culture, by dance, music, spirit rituals or fights for food. Here are 3 the most interesting festivals around the world! Ready for a trip?

La Tomatina – Spain
Buñol, Valencia


Do you love tomato? Perfect! Your whole body will be in your favourite vegetable. Hate it? Don’t worry, you can destroy your nightmare by throwing them to other people. Feast of Tomato takes place every year in last Wednesday of August. Let’s start from the beginning…Some Wednesday 1945, some group of boys wanted to take part in the local parade. They argued with participants and started to pelt them with tomatoes from close greengrocer. Next year they came back to the same place and repeated tomato battle again. Every year more and more people came to Bunol’s main square with bags full of tomatoes. After years of citizens’ demands to allow them continue tradition, in 1957, La Tomatina finally was recognized as a local, public feast. Now this festival round up thousands of people from all the world.


link
http://www.lovevalencia.com/en/rules-of-la-tomatina.html

Holi – Festival of Colours
India, Nepal


Holi is Hindu festival of spring and colours. At the beginning Holi was held only in India and Nepal, but in recent years festival of colours has spread to many countries around the world, including Poland. Holi is celebrated by Hindus at the end of winter, on the last full moon day of the Hindu luni-solar calendar(February-March). It’s the day of forgiveness and the new beginning. Holi is named from Holika - a sister of devil king of demons. She was resistant for fire but only when jumped into it alone. The king commanded to enter into fire with her nephew, she sacrificed own life, saving the young boy. Why people cover each other by colorful powders? There is a story of young Krishna – the highest god in Hindu religion. His uncle wanted to kill him by using the demon named Putana who had to feed the baby by poisonous milk. Krishna was clever and sucked out whole milk and blood of Putana, then she died. The young god was fell in love with white shepherd and suffered from his colour of skin, which was very dark, because of demon’s blood. Then his mother advised him to put colours on his face and from this moment, colouring faces started to be the tradition which has to bring joy, health and luck.


link
http://janadamski.eu/2015/09/holi-swieto-kolorow/

Día de Muertos – The Day of Dead
Mexico


Do you think that The Day of Dead is a sad day? Let’s travel to Mexico! 1 st and 2 nd November people meet to reminisce dead family members and friends. Mexicans believe that spirits are waiting in Mitclan, from where they can come back to their homes during these days. On altars are food, water, flowers, colorful candles, which had to encourage spirits of deads to visit Earth. On the cemeterias people dance and make picnics. In the shops can buy marzipan’s sweet in shape of bones, skulls, coffins.


Dia de Los Muertos, Liesa Cole Photography
Dia de Los Muertos, Liesa Cole Photography


Do you have some favourite festivals? Why did you choose them?
Maybe you participated in some of just described? Did you like it or not? Why?

Share your opinion with us!

Sources:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/holi-festival-celebrated-throwing-coloured-powder/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead
https://www.mexicansugarskull.com/support/dodhistory.html
http://www.spain.info/pl/que-quieres/agenda/fiestas/valencia/la_tomatina.html

Comments

Unknown said…
I have never participaded in such event. They all look nice. I think I would like to join Tomatina and Festival of Colours. They seem really nice.
Magdalena Popek said…
I've taken part in "Holi"-like festival called "Festival of colours" in Lublin. I loved it I'm looking forward to take part in next one in Warsaw.
I'm not a festival person actually. For no reason, just because.
I don't like the idea of the first festival - it's wasting food. But I'd love to see Dia de Muertos. It must be amazing!
Unknown said…
I never participated in any of those, but I would love to try some. Especially this la tomatina, sounds like real fun :D I would like to also go to Mexico for the Dia de Muertos. :) It would be interesing.
Anonymous said…
Actually I have never participated in any of those festivals, bur I have heard about all of them.
About year ago I was about to take part in some kind of holi festival, but combined with running for 5 km. I was really excited about it, but a few days before run I had an injury and I couldn't took part in it. But I'm sure that if I could join in then, it would be my favorite festival.
Unfortunately I haven’t participated in any of festivals mentioned above. For me the Holi festival looks the most interesting. The similar “festivals of colors” are organized in Poland. I hope I can participate in it in the future.
Unknown said…
Unfortunately, I have never participated in such event. They all look nice - especially Día de Muertos – The Day of Dead.
Unknown said…
In the case of la tomatina it's a pity that so much food is wasted :<
I think throwing tomatoes isn't for me but the other two festivals seem interesting. I would like to take part in such an event but they are quite distant states from Poland and the trip there isn't cheap. In my opinion Mexico and India cultures are really interesting and very different from ours, so I want to go in these two countries in the future :)
Wojtek Kania said…
I really don't like any kind of festivals. I have never participated in such event. 'Dance, music, spirit rituals or fights for food' - I don't like spent my free time on this way. Well I love football, and I love watching football on stadium. I've been on hundreds matches. And on many stadiums.
Unknown said…
I heard about these festivals but unfortunately I never experienced them :( I would like to experience the festival in Spain with tomatoes :D Generally I was only on "ordinary" festivals, nothing special.

I have never participated in that kind of festival. Yesterday I was at Orange Warsaw Festival, it was fun, but it is a simple music festival, so it is hard to compare it with those presented in the article.
This comment has been removed by the author.
I really would like to participate in that festivals some day, they are look amazing and I bet that there is so much fun on that kind of events. Everytime I look at pictures from festivals people are so happy and relax that I think that these are the best moments in their life. I really hope that I will go for not only one of them, but all of them, and check it by myself sooner or later :)
I never participated in any of those, but really-really want. When I look at photos from such festivals I imagine that I'm there and how much fun there is. And now, my dreams come true. At the moment I plan to visit Impact Festival in Krakow and Oktoberfest:)
I didn't participate in any, but they look kinda cool and I wish I will participate at least in one, eventually. Thanks for interesting article :).
Unknown said…
I have heard, but haven't participated. I prefer music festivals and I wish I could visit Tomorrowland, Coachella and especially - Burning Man. This is a music fest, which is placed in a desert every year. They make a new theme every year and the piece of the desert turns into a small imaginary world. Also they have own rules. But it is always interesting to take part rather then watch...
Unknown said…
One of my favourite festival is Woodstock but it is a little different kind of festival. But I have been to woodstock festival of colourse . Super Fun. But others I haven't tried. This festivals are good way to spend free time. I was ones on different festival in Spain but I don't remember its name. I like festivals so much. And I recommend Woodstock to everyone .
Vyvyan said…
I have heard about a lot of festivals but i have never been to one nor i have i ever wanted to. To me they are not interesting especially when they are dangerous. And let's face it. With current world situation such festivals are a golden opportunity for an attack.
Maciej Główka said…
I've heard about all festivals you mentioned above. Numbers 2 and 3 are even on my todo list. Día de Muertos was even in the opening scene in last Bond movie. I know, that festival of colour is also in Warsaw, but i haven't participated in it.
Unknown said…
Sounds like fun, all of it. Never been to any of those unfortunately, maybe some day. Love the tomato but I'm not sure if I would go as far as smearing it all over me, my grandma taught me not to play with food. Other two look bright, colourful and happy. Would gladly participate.
Unknown said…
I've heard of those festivals, but I have never took a part. From the mentioned ones the most I like Día de Muertos – The Day of Dead. I really love those clothing and make up. This climate is great - and story behind! I think that I like it also beacuse how it was shown in movies and cartoons - since the very beginning it was shown as a great festival, full of wonderfull colors so I believe there was no other option for me than to like and and look forward to take part in in sometime.
I have never attend to any of these festivals, but I would like to have a chance to participate in all of them. They are really different from each other, but my favorite one is Día de Muertos, Mexican culture is really interesting and from pictures it looks really beautiful with all these colors, costumes and makeups.
Unknown said…
Unfortunately I have not participated in any of the festivals mentioned in the presentation. However I had a chance to participate in few music festivals which are a lot of fun and I always highly recommend them. I've always been a fan of good music, so when my best friend suggested to come along with him to the Open'er Festival I didn't hesitate and agreed straight away. Could you imagine better holiday than meeting bunch of cool, chilled and very positive people while listening to one of your favourite music bands?
On the top of my list Kazantip festival (sexy beach) - Ukraine, Woodstock - Poland, Open’er Festival - Poland, Coke Live - Poland. Had really a lot of fun during them. Of course there is one island that party never stops and that is Ibiza - it is 24h festival :) Could also add Zakhyntos on that list. On my bucket list there is still one festival to go on - famous Burning Man in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada, USA. But after finishing a school I will fill that gap.
Unknown said…
I don't remember having ever partcipated in any festival. I'd like to take part at Holi at least. I had no idea what its origin is; I like the fact that colours symbolize luck, health and joy. It really sounds like fun. I assume I'd have a wonderful time also at Dia de Los Muertos festival, I'll definately visit Mexico some day.
However, Tomatina looks like a great waste of food, I won't support such an thoughtless idea.
Bartosz Łyżwa said…
What a great article. I love festivals like those and I wanted to try "Festival of colours" for a long time. Now we have similar festivals in Poland but I think there is better, unique atmosphere to play with colored dust. I've heard something about "La Tomatina" festiwal but it's a little bit strange for me. If I'll have possiblity to try this, I would do that - just for fun :D. Last described festival is the strangest I've ever heard about and I don't know if I ever want to try this feeling.
Unknown said…
An interesting topic, from those three I think I never heard about the first one (La Tomatina) from Spain. I'd love to participate in the colorful Holi festival and the Mexican Dia de Muertos. As for other festivals I think I'd like to see the Burning Man but I guess I might be a bit afraid of what's going on there.
My favourite festival is Audioriver in Plock city. I like it, because it's a techno festival which is one of my favourite music genre. I have heard about festival of colours, but not in India, Nepal, but our "home edition" in Poland. I haven't ever participated in one of those. I prefer to partipicate more in music festival than in non-music events.
Adam Paśniczek said…
In my opinion the best one is “ the day of dead”. It seems to me very interesting. I would like to travel to Mexico at that time to see this festival on my eyes. I think it is a beautiful tradition. I have never participate in any of these events because I don’t have opportunity before. I would definitely like to go on such festival in the near future.
Ihor Ahnianikov said…
I prefer music festivals and I visit a few every year. There're a few awesome music festivals around Europe, for example Primavera Sound in Spain or Roskilde in Denmark. My favorite festival in Poland is Open'er, I guess it's the biggest one. Unfortunately it always clashes with the PJATK exam terms:)

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?