Skip to main content

Week 10 [29.05-04.06.2017] - Computer viruses

In the early 1990s, writing viruses was done by children, students, with the aim of self-affirmation, it was disorderly conduct. Now the creation of malware is a criminal business, comparable in scale to the trade in narcotics and weapons. The same viruses and vulnerabilities of different devices and operating systems used by different departments in different countries for spying on different people.

Source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4f/ac/44/4fac442cf10330e37b4d0a1bf03e6d30.jpg

But first, let's define what is a "computer virus ". In 1983 American scientist Fred Cohen in his dissertation work on the study of self-replicating computer programs, first introduced the term "computer virus".

In November 3, 1983, when the weekly seminar on computer security at the University of Southern California proposed a project to create a self-propagating program, which called "virus" . For debugging, it took 8 hours of computer time on the machine to VAX 11/750 running the operating system Unix, and the following week, November 10, held the first demonstration. The results of these studies, Fred Cohen published a paper called "Computer viruses: Theory and experiments" with a detailed description of the problem.

in the works of American scientist John von Neumann (John von Neumann), which is also known as the author of the basic principles of operation of a modern computer. In these works described the theoretical foundations of self-replicating mathematical machines.

Fundamentals of the theory of self-propagating programs were laid in the 1940s in the works of American scientist John von Neumann, which is also known as the author of the basic principles of operation of a modern computer. In these works described the theoretical foundations of self-replicating mathematical machines.

I would like to tell you about the viruses which at the time made of the "Epidemic in the Internet" , but not always the creators of these viruses pursued his goal of earning money.


Creeper


Source: https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-3523488878a0f04bb314831d1936b52e-c

First a network virus Creeper appeared in the early 70-ies in the military computer network Arpanet, the prototype of the Internet. The program was able to go online via modem and store its copy on a remote machine. On infected systems, the virus reveals itself with a message: I'm THE CREEPER: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. In General, the virus was harmless, but annoying staff.

Virdem


Source: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/06TB-skvxHA/hqdefault.jpg

A German programmer Ralf Burger in 1986 opened the possibility of creating its copies by adding your code to a running DOS-format files COM. A prototype program, called Virdem was demonstrated at the forum of the computer underground Chaos Computer Club (December, 1986, Hamburg, Germany). This led to the writing of hundreds of thousands of computer viruses partially or completely described using the idea. In fact, this virus has given rise to mass virus infection.


Chameleon

Chameleon (beginning in 1990), the first polymorphic virus. Its author, mark Washburn, the basis for writing the virus took data on virus veins from the book "Computer viruses. Disease of high technologies", Ralph Burger and added advanced principles of semosavali virus Cascade — the property to change the appearance of the virus body and the decryptor.
This technology was quickly adopted and combined with "stealth technology" and "reservation" allowed new viruses to successfully confront existing antivirus packages.
With the advent of this technology to fight viruses became much more difficult.


LoveLetter


Source:https://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/v-pics/love2.jpg

LoveLetter is a script virus, May 5, 2000 hit a record of the "Melissa" virus in expansion velocity. Only a few hours had affected millions of computers — LoveLetter got into the Guinness Book of records.
The situation developed rapidly. The number of victims has grown exponentially.
This virus was spread by e-mail messages and IRC channels. Email virus can easily be distinguished. The subject line is "ILOVEYOU" that immediately catches the eye. In the letter contains the text "kindly check the attached LOVELETTER coming from me" and an attached file named "LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs". The virus is triggered only when the user opened the attached file.

Virus sends itself to all addresses found in the address book, email program, MS Outlook infected computer, and wrote my copy to the files on the hard disk (thus permanently overwriting their original contents). Victims of the virus was, in particular, images in JPEG format, program, Java Script and Visual Basic Script, and a number of other files. And even the virus hid the video and music file formats MP2, and MP3.
In addition, the virus has made some actions on the installation itself in the system and the installation of a separate additional viral modules that are downloaded from the Internet.

All this suggests that the virus is VBS.LoveLetter is very dangerous. Along with the direct corruption of data and integrity protection of the operating system, it sent out a large number of message copies.


Questions:
1) What is your opinion about computer viruses in the Internet ?
2)Do you use an antivirus system ?
3)Do you use a backup solution for important information ? If yes, which ones ? Tell us about your experience.

Comments

Sylwia Pechcin said…
Actually I have no opinion about viruses. It's really hard to have one ;)
I think I use some antivirus system. I don't care much about this stuff. Maybe because I have never been a victim of any viruses or attacks.
I don't use any specific kind of backup solution. If I have something really important I use dropbox to storage files and then I can have an access to them from any other computer.
Unknown said…
I think that its not very safe to ask people on publicly available webpage what antivirus they use, so I am not going to answer any of your questions :)
I think that computer viruses are quite fascinating field. Especially masterpieces like Stuxnet:

https://www.wired.com/2011/07/how-digital-detectives-deciphered-stuxnet/

read this article, it has better plot than many books!
I think that viruses have ups and downs. Downs are obvious, ups maybe not so much: viruses motivate people to maintain secure systems and i think its good.
Unknown said…
Paweł, why do you think it wouldn't be safe if you say which antivirus you use? Do you think it's easier to break into your computer e.g. if I know you use Kaspersky, Norton etc?

I cannot agree with Sylwia that it's hard to have a virus. It's hard if you are offline, but being online it's not so hard. Of course, it depends on the way of using the Internet but still..
I believe I use the Internet in a clever way (if something like this exists), but I had some viruses. I don't know how, but I had.

In my opinion, it's impossible to be fully safe, but it's important to reduce probability as much as possible.
Magdalena Popek said…

Nowadays we have to be very careful of what sites we visit. There are many so called click baites, which aim is to make you interested about the topic (usually by putting controversial heading) and thus visit the site. Viruses from such websites usually just post something on your Facebook without you knowing about it. But most of the time we are not controlling what we are downloading.
I can't imagine my computer not being secured by antivirus system, I believe it's the minimum if you want to TRY to be safe. But as Filip said, it's impossible to be fully safe if you are online. You never know if the program you're downloading will really just do what you expect.
Unknown said…
I think that we should be careful with visiting certain websites or software that we think might spread viruses. It is hidden, we can download some malicious programs even without noticing. We should try to protect our software by antivirus programs or in any other ways. Online the possibility to download some virus is big, we should be careful with that.
I think that the viruses may be a serious threat for many people, If my data got corrupted because of some virus, I would be annoyed and that’s it. However if every computer in critical infrastructure got “infected” with a virus, it would be a disaster and many real humans can be harmed or even die. I think that it’s more serious problem than many people think.
Of course I use antivirus system, I try to be as safe as possible on the internet.
I try to backup my files regularly, but to be honest I very often forget about it.
Unknown said…
Yes, I use antivirus system. Windows is still the dominant OS people, people will always be targeting it due to sheer user base size. The built in one is "ok", but only really good for popular/old forms of malware. Even if you use safe browsing habits, but you can still get hit with SEO poisoning or threats not covered by definitions (ie 0 day). Anti-virus is just another form of insurance in case anything actually bad happens

If you want to ensure your files stay safe, you can back them up to the internet with a service like CrashPlan. CrashPlan is a well-known online backup service we like and recommend, but there are also competitors like BackBlaze, Carbonite, and MozyHome. For a low monthly fee (about $5 a month), these programs run in the background on your PC or Mac, automatically backing up your files to the service’s web storage. If you ever lose those files and need them again, you can restore them.


Unknown said…
In fact no viruses bothered me since I switched to Ubuntu and then to Fedora OS. But even earlier, when I used to use Windows, I had a problem with virus only once - my pc had slowed down after game installation, and when the problem was spotted, obviously I just executed once my antivirus program, he found this virus and deleted it. So... it's not the thing I would worry about right now. Let it be.
Unknown said…
I don't know much about viruses, but of course I use some antivirus program. For backup I used external memory or some cloud apps like google drive, one drive or dropbox. I work on both iOS and Windows computers but in my opinion iOS is safer system.
Wojtek Kania said…
I do not use any antivirus system. I have been using Mac for 7 years and never had any virus. I don't work in general on Windows. I'm using Time Machine with Time Capsule (https://support.apple.com/pl-pl/HT201250). It is great solution for backups.
Unknown said…
I don't know what I can talk about viruses, they are just bad and enough. As for anti-virus, of course I have it on my computer but it doesn't always help. Once a year I have to reinstall the system... Unfortunately, I don't backup. I don't know why.

This comment has been removed by the author.
If you use Internet in a clever way, it's hard to catch a virus. But for a regular user it could be easier to become a victim. On my Windows machine I use some free antivirus system. I use a backup for my important data. It is a simple offline portable hard drive.
I’ve often wondered why people make viruses but only thought they did it to say they could and to steal information. I never knew there was money to be made but I’ve seen the message before – for a full scan and to get rid of X amount of viruses you need to purchase the full application – It’s a nice scheme.
I think it depends on what you do online , in fact if you run the file for example "foto.exe" it is not so hard to auto-opening tabs in your browser with some strange advertising. About dropbox I've heard a few bad stories about what some users have gone their files and place them files there (photos) of other users.
Unfortunately viruses are also very well developed , for example, in May this year was quite an interesting virus that has infiltrated PC user with vulnerabilities Windows , this means you need to be only connected to the Internet and nothing more.
I think that OSX will not be exposed to so many viruses , and not just because it is more safe , but also because the percentage of users of this OS is too small to interest the virus writers.
Nowadays catching a virus is really hard, and it nearly always involves a human making a mistake. Early on you could get infected by just browsing infected website, or connecting infected floppy / cd / pendrive to a PC - now everything is super secure and any major holes are quickly being fixed.

Some viruses can be really interesting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mNhYY3O3k
Vyvyan said…
1) I believe that computer viruses while beeing harmfull, they are quite necessary to see if our program/site/network/whatever is well protected and it motivates people to create more secure stuff.
2)Yes i use an anti-virus, yet i'll not tell which one as it is not something to publicly announce on website such as this.
3)Of course i have some backup solutions. My best one is external portable hard drive.
Unknown said…

For me viruses on the Internet are one of the worst things that people make. Personally I don't use antiviruses system. I try to be carful and I care about my computer. Antiviruses slow down computer very much. Of course we should use backup solution. Personally I download my files for spare disc. My friend had one virus which blocked her computer and she had to pay and she lost everything. She only opened mail.
Unknown said…
Long time ago when I had a Windows PC a used Norton and Kaspersky protection. Last years I use Mac OS and for 6 years I had only one trojan, which I have treated with some simple soft. I don't use the backup, maybe it is silly, so I plan to get a portable hard drive.
Maciej Główka said…
Very interesting article, I've never heard of most of viruses you mentioned above. Computer viruses will always exist in Internet, we need to accept it. I have some antivirus program on my laptop, I also do backups once a time. I think all computer users should do this, especially now, when ramsonware is so famous. If you don't know what Ramsonware is - it's a virus which encrypt all your documents and demands money to decrypt it. In those cases, backup is the easiest way to get rid off it.
Unknown said…
The most funny thing I have ever seen was, when my aunt asked me to fix her computer, becasue it was very slow. So I asked her if she had got some antyvirus installed and she asked me what for - I knew, that there will be trouble. I installed her some free antyvirus and ... over 300 viruses. I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw this number!
Unknown said…
I remember time when I "caught" my first computer virus, it was still on Windows XP, it has done no other harm than rising my heartbeat a little. Don't know where it came from but the antivirus software took care of it.
My opinion is that today, computer viruses are mostly used as a way to scrap some money (ransomeware type, "WannaCry" anyone?) or to spy on/destroy certain targets (developed by governments and/or hackers for hire, "Stuxnet" anyone?). Long gone are times when it was purely for fun and stuff thing. The internet has grown, spread, security improved and you have to try to catch one today (if you are conscious on what you are doing).
Of course backup is always a nice thing to have, regardless if you are hit with a malicious software or a hardware failure. Highly recommended. I do use backups on separate hard drives.
Computer viruses are really interesting matter with one like wannacry it's really fun to read how they are made, how people are using flaws in our systems etc. to do viruses, but it's not cool to have one. Yeah I use antivirus system, like all should have. I don't really think that windows defender can fully protect system. Of course if someone have mac or linux it's rather hard to get some virus if you really don't want to.
I don't have backup which is the most stupid thing in my life, because my hard drive is in to really good shape.
1) What is your opinion about computer viruses in the Internet ?

There are a lot of viruses out there but there always will be a human weak chain that causes most of the problem. Most viruses would not work if you would not let them.

2) Yes I have one build on in Windows and from time to time using Malwarebytes to scan everything else. The full version of it is way too annoying and sometime blocking VPN sites, proxies and other things you would like to use.

3)Do you use a backup solution for important information ? If yes, which ones ? Tell us about your experience.

Some files stored in cloud. Some on separate HDD. I am trying to update it regularly to minimize the potential data losses.
Unknown said…
Of course I have antivirus software but even when you got it, you have to be very vigilant while using internet.
There are many tricks used by hackers. I keep all my private data on external devices.
Some of them are malicious some of them are very creative :) I have always been fascinated by them. One's ideas have no limits! I don't use an antivirus system, because I use Linux ;) I keep my important things on my external drive.
Unknown said…
I think there's no way of being completely safe from viruses and/or hackers. If someone is targeting you they will breach your antivirus and other defenses. As for viruses, I can only assume my antivirus software is protecting me. Windows has built in protection but I use additional antivirus software.
Unknown said…
I have to say I admire people who invented "viruses" and who are able to create a new ones nowadays.
Now if I get a love letter on my email, I surely won't open it ;) by the way, really tricky idea with the name, funny thing.
Adam Paśniczek said…
I don’t have sufficient knowledge in that field. All I know is that how to protect my computer using antivirus and that’s it. I realize that nowadays it is not enough to defer against attacks but it is what I can do now. I would like to definitely learn more about this in the future.
It is very interesting how viruses have developed. It is hard to imagine that at the very beginning they were harmless.
Ihor Ahnianikov said…
I don't use antivirus software because currently any program should have a permission for accessing the hard drive, if you know what you install then you're safe. I mean don't download some HowToEarnMoneyOnTheInternet.exe file and don't give it admin rights - Windows and any other system will ask you for permission. I use a few backup solutions, namely cloud services like Google Drive and Dropbox. Using a few cloud services at once protects you in case if some of them fails.
Blogger said…
There's an amazing new opportunity that is growing in popularity online.

Big companies are paying people just for sharing their opinions!

You can make from $5 to $75 per each survey!

And it's available to anybody from any country!

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?