Skip to main content

Week 12 (18.01-24.01.2016): Vivat Champagne!

Just a few days ago we greeted a New Year. Traditionally we celebrated this event with fireworks and champagne. We should know something about this divine drink which is a simple sparkling wine. Important curiosity is that not every sparkling wine is a champagne. Only officially classified wines from the Champagne - most northernmost wine region of France - have the right to wear this name.

Fortuity creating

The first wine shrubs was planted in Champagne by Romans in Gallo-Roman era. Their cultivation because of the prevailing climate was not easy and survived mainly thanks to efforts and patience of monks. Champagne was qualified to French wines in the Middle Age in feudal era. During the reign of Henry IV in Paris was a tendency to say champagne wine. The word champagne meant wasteland suitable for pasture for sheep. Residents of the Champagne region initially did not like sparkling wines and they called it hideous. Wines were considered gray, badly stained and badly aging in barrels. To improve the quality of the wine began bottled before the end of the first fermentation. But in the spring in the wine cellar where it was kept, the temperature rose and corks began to pop. It was generated many problems both monks and winemakers so much so that bubbly wine was named devil.
Most sources state that the champagne was created first time in the Benedictine Abbey of Hautvillers and its creator was a monk Dom Pierre Perignon. But there are some who believe that probably the Benedictine Order of St. Hilary the first produced sparkling wine by rural method. Ultimately, the former was hailed father of champagne. And in his honor named a famous brand of champagne – Dom Perignon.  Dom Perignon notes that a young wine storm in a bottle because of sugar. This observation and curiosity of monk discover method of producing sparkling wine in 1690. The rules of producing sparkling wine are collected in his treaty. Interesting fact is that all of main findings remain unchanged to date.
Dom Perignon devoted his life to explore the secrets of champagne and tried to perfect it. He was a first winemaker who applying selection of grapes which improves the quality of wine and eliminates some of the disadvantages of wine. The most popular improvement which he introduces is the use an oak cork attached to bottle with hemp fiber saturated with oil. It allowing the wine to keep the freshness and foam. He introduce production of bottles with thicker walls which bear the high pressure of the gas.

Land flowing champagne

Four main regions in France which produce champagne on circa 34 ha wineyard in 260 thousand of parcels:
  • Montagne de Reims
  • Valle de la Marne
  •  Cote des Blancs
  • Aube

How it make?

  • Must from grapes. The grapes are reaped at the end of September and beginning of October. Then the grapes are pressed. With extra virgin which is called cuvée are produced champagne the finest quality. From the second pressing are produced champagne unmarked particular annual.
  •  Yeast and production of alcohol. Every champagne must have the first stage of fermentation. It done in vats or oak barrels and lasts about 2-3 weeks. Result is a wine but without bubbles.
  • Assemblage - mixing several wines. This is the most important stage in the production process. Producers must make decision what varieties, which annual types and from which vineyards wines they should mingle with each other.
  • Adding liqueur de tirage which is mix of sugar and yeasts. This mixture cause refermentation.
  •  Bottling. Wine is poured into a heavy bottle and closes temporary plug. Bubbles are the result of the fermentation of carbon dioxide remain in the bottle. The pressure in the bottle is 6 atmospheres it is about three times more than the pressure in a car tire.
  • The entire fermentation process takes about two months whilethe aging from 15 months to 3 years.

Types

Champagne can be divided due to the scale of sweetness, bottle size or type of grape. Here are the basic divisions:

Type of grape:
  • Pinot noir
  • Pinot meunier
  • Chardonnay
Color of grape:
  • Blanc de blancs – white from whites
  • Blanc de noirs – white from darks
Scale of sweetness depends of gram of liquer de tirage:
  • Brut – the most dry with 0-3 g
  • Extra brut – dry with 0-6 g
  • Brut - <15 g
  • Extra dry - 12-20 g
  • Sec  - 17-35 g
  • Demi-sec – 33-50 g
  • Doux – the most sweet with >50 g
Size of bottle:
  • Piccolo – 200 ml
  • Half  – 375 ml
  • Standard – 750 ml
  • Magnum – 1,5 l

Little savoir-vivre and interesting facts…


  • Better is the younger champagne
  • Constant storage temperature should have between 12 ° C to 18 ° C
  • If the shelf-life of over 2 years old is the ideal storage temperature decreases and it is 11 ° C
  •  Ultraviolet light harms champagne
  • Keep it upright (not lying down like wine) and avoid shocks
  • Drinking champagne in glasses type: flute, tulip, coupe
  • Proper opening with sensitivity at an angle of 45° with slight removing the cork
  •  Before consumption let’s do fragrance test 

The most popular brands


Sources:

Comments

As most of the people, I drink champagne (or rather sparkling wine) on special occasions, like New Year's celebrations, birthdays, etc. I like its taste.

As I have a younger brother, some time ago I pondered over "Piccolo" - the "champagne" for kids. I think it must have been a genius who thought about putting simple orangeade in a fancy champagne bottle and selling it for 25zł instead of 2zł. :)
Personally I never was a huge fan of any kind of alcohol, but sometimes I try drinks. Champagne on the other hand is totally not in my taste, I don’t like it at all. As much as I understand that price of wine is based on number of years, region etc., I don’t understand why some champagnes costs more that 300zł, when it comes to brands like MOET. I never tried them so it is hard to say are there really worth their’s price, but at first glance it seems pretty odd.
Julia Osiak said…
This article was interesting for me. I enjoy a good drink and I like to know about the subtle differences in the making process that can influence the final product. The history that you described is also quite interesting. It's funny how one of the most expensive and fancy beverages used to be unappreciated. Champagne is one of my favorites and I don't wait for new year's to drink it.
Unknown said…
Say what you will about Champagne - the best thing out there is Igristoye :D the so called russian Chapagne :D I know it's not the classiest alcohol in existence but I'm weirdly emotional about it - it's like a tradition ;)
I did try a 'real' champagne once and to be honest I didn't really like it. But it might have been brut, not sure since it was quite a while ago, while I usually choose sec or demi-sec wines.
Unknown said…
Nice article, I've learned quite a few interesting things from it which probably wouldn't happen in other circumstances as I'm not a fan of champagne. I really don't like the taste. The only occasion when I drink champagne is - yup, you guessed it right - New Year's Eve. I prefer red medium dry and sometimes medium sweet wines. :)
Unknown said…
It's true :) Admitedlly Piccolo is not champagne as you wrote but the idea is very nice. Children do not feel "aggrieved" in special celebrations such as New Year's or family events.
Unknown said…
Honestly any good alcohol costs a lot, even looking at the whisky (not whiskey) which origin from Scotland. The price is dictated by the brand, of course but you should also remember that we pay for quality, taste and a kind of tradition. Champagne is a drink with a built several hundred years tradition. The price is luxurious but it is a kind of giving worship to this drink.
Unknown said…
I am doing my best to fight with the alcohol. I really hate it. Maybe because of my past and a long bad story. Let's step aside from it. This portion of chemistry is very unhealthy for our body. It's fat and "damage" our brain (it's toxic), that's why people feel so good(free) after drinking it. For me it's like a soft drags. They cause a lot of problems to other people. It should be allowed only in small amounts. But when we are talking about Champagne we rally imagine "overdose" person. It's a drink connected with special events - toast. That's okay for me even though it is disgusting.
Kit said…
probably we're just too poor to be target demographic for this kind of champagnes. And as you may know from our management lessons, prices are part of business strategy, and there is a big chance that this 300 zł champagne is exactly same as 50 zł one. But no one will ever confirm this as true, cause why should they? People are not buying luxury goods to compare any measurable values/qualities, its always about some other 'features', like being hand-made, being made in small quantities therefore being rare, having some historical or traditional value, ect.
Unknown said…
In Vino Veritas. It's the proper way to drink fermented grapes juice. Though don't take me wrong. I like Champagne very much but I really hate the hangover after. ;) Like every sparkling drink it hits head in very stealth way and if you drink it too fast or too much because you don't feel anything and it's so tasty then you will need to hit the head ASAP in most unexpected moment. So... drink wine and don't do sparkles in your drinks. ;)
Unknown said…
It's interesting, i've never read about history of Champagne, but i don't drink it too often, maybe on special occasion, like birthdays or new years
Unknown said…
Of course I agree with you that not always the quality of product which costs 300 zł is better than product for 50 zł but here we are just talking about champagne whose prices regardless of the brand are high. We could only compare it with a good sparkling wine, for example - Prossecco, called the "unfinished" champagne. Nevertheless, this comparison is inadequate due to the divergence of both generic wines. Champagne is champagne, do not drink it on a daily basis but on special occasions. And as you wrote we pay for "other features" like being hand-made or tradition of producing about which I wrote :)
Unknown said…
I am glad that you are interested in my article. I also like champagne, although not often I allow myself to purchase it. Because of the cost I prefer spend 1/3 of the champagne price for Prosecco or a good sparkling white wine which is cheaper. I keep champagne to celebrate special occasions in my life.
Unknown said…
I know Igristoye of my teenage years :) Real champagne has much different taste. I encourage you to try a semi-sweet champagne, this one should be tasty :)
Unknown said…
I'm generally a fan of wines. I'm glad you enjoyed the article :) I hope that article someday encourages you to try a semi-sweet or semi-dry champagne!
Unknown said…
A few years ago I also did not like alcohol and I shunned from it. I think that everything is for the people but in reasonable quantities. If someone can drink he should not be restricted. Obviously this is not healthy and we should not be drink often but worth appreciating fact that e.g. champagne is drunk mainly for taste, not in large quantities and for special occasions.
Unknown said…
Of course, everything should drink moderately. In particular, such expensive drinks like champagne :)
Unknown said…
I believe that most of us haven;t drink real champing before - we usually drink sparkling vine instead. Nevertheless i think it would be a great experience to visit France and make a tour across regions where it is made and try all of them. Maybe there it will taste better than those one sold in Poland :)
Unknown said…
Cool I love champagne, still I've never been in France and didn't drink the thing they call real champagne with all those natural stuff and culture. Very interesting article as I've never was interested in the story of champagne before.
Aleksander M said…
I had no idea about the background history of Champagne. I'm aware of the differences between real Champagne and the one so called in Poland (or Russian Champagnes as well), but I find the history really interesting. Another very informative article, thank you - I learned a lot!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Virtually every drink was invented a long time ago, and has its own history and ways of cooking dependent regions from which it comes. When it comes to champagne, I'm not a fan of this alcohol in general I'm not a fan of sparkling alcoholic beverages. I happened to drink a few of those provided by your champagne but I prefer our Polish inventions - bimber.
Unknown said…
Thanks :) I encourage to deepen your knowledge :)
Unknown said…
Champagnes isnt my favourite alcohol drink, but on special occasions i may drink it. But what surprised me was that champagne has such a long history, and its technological process is really complicated. If you have to do fine drink it costs you a lot of effort.
Unknown said…
Good topic Marta ;) I have never supposed that the story of champaigne might be so interesting.
Last time I was drinking Champaigne last weekend :D It was a special occasion - 30th Wedding Anniversary my parents. Of course before it I was celebrating a New Year with Champaigne.
Now I know much more about this excelent intoxicant. Thanks Marta :) Good job ;)
Unknown said…
Wow! Envy parents! :) Necessaary give them greetings and good luck for the next 30 years! :)
Unknown said…
An interesting read, and a lot of information about champagne to learn from it. I don't drink alcohol very often and I drink champagne only on special occasions, such as new year.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?