Skip to main content

Week 11 (01.06-07.06) The exotic fruits of Poland

        Don't take it too seriously. The title is just humorous. It refers to imported fruits from exotic countries. We all like to eat. We all have to eat. We all eat differently. Each one of us has a tendency to eat particular type of food. The nature, our organism, our biology, the DNA , defines what we like and what we dislike in our daily diets. These preferences do not only come from the biological definition. In other words we also choose what to eat based on some other complex decisions. In the case of selecting the right foods to eat the culture we are in plays a major role within the social aspect of our life. Speaking of the culture, it varies in as little as in different countries, but there also exist the very best practices being practiced and applied by individuals all over the world - such as eating healthy and staying fit.
        There are so many tropical foods that I have limited my presentation  to just the most commonly known fruits in Poland. If you are curious about more tropical and exotic foods, there are many more, covering much more types of foods, meat for example - camel, sheep, giraffes, snakes, spiders.
 
Pineapple
 
        From my point of view in some way the pineapple forms a perfect icon of the “exotic food” term. It reminds me of tropical places and it also looks a little like a palm tree.
 
        Did you know what is the life-cycle of a pineapple, starting from harvesting to lying on a shop shelf?
 
        The story is that pineapples originate from southern Brazil and Paraguay. The fruit grows on large plants from which it is harvested. When  it is  sweet and ripe it  is ready to harvest by hand and loaded onto a conveyor belt and packed into bins. Then the fruit travels to exporters and is prepared for sailing.
 
Banana
        A fruit so popular and cheap in Poland one may think it is harvested directly by the country's farmers.
 
 
 
        The process of gathering and selling bananas takes a lot of time, it is a 15-month growth cycle.
        Bananas grow on trees looking like palms. Very fresh and young bananas are green. They are also harvested while still green, because of the time needed to ship them until they are put on the shop shelfs.
        What else do you know about bananas?
 
Avocado
 
        A good and ready to eat avocados are the ones that feel soft and creamy when you touch them. They are quite fat fruits and are not recommended for losing weight.
 
 
 
        Avocados grow on trees and are native to Mexico and Central America. They are also known under the name “alligator pear”
        The avocados are widely known to be the main ingredient of the Guacamole sauce.
 
 
        Of course, the most important aspect of the Guacamole sauce is the quality of the avocados used to create the base paste. From the popular AllRecipes website it is very easy to make the guacamole sauce. All you need to do is to mix 2 ripe avocados with half of a lemon (squeezed), 2 tea spoons of hacked onion, half of a teaspoon of salt and 2 spoons of olive oil. Tastes even better with some nachos. Delicious! Have you ever tried doing your own Guacamole? Have you ever eaten one?
Orange and tangerine
        Those fruits are very similar. They have the same color, similar taste and shape. After “unpacking” the orange instead of small and dry fruit pieces there is just a single, big and watery piece. Do you like these fruits? How often do you eat them?
 
 
        "Orange” is also a widely known name for one of the mobile network providers in Poland. Orange not only refers to the fruit itself but also it is the name of the same fruit's color. They contain a lot of healthy vitamins – vitamin C, beta carotene, and vitamins from the B group. Oranges are antioxidants meaning they are good for curing stress, cigarette negative effects, negative effects of alcohol and small amounts of sleep. Because of high concentration of the vitamins from the B group they are also very healthy for skin and nerves, blood pressure and heart rate.
 
Mango
        Personally mango is one of my favourite fruits. The best mango must have the taste of a banana and an apple mixed together. The texture should be soft and watery. I like when this fruit is also very sweet. What about you?
 
 
        There are many different types of mangos. They differ in taste, size, shape and color. Each mango has it's own specific growth conditions and can be harvested in a different time of the year. The biggest harvest takes place in the warmest months of the year. Because mangos need a tropical climate to flourish, only Florida, California, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico grow mangos in the are of USA. Unfortunately they cannot be grown in Poland. Mangoes have been cultivated in South Asia for thousands of years and reached East Asia between the fifth and fourth centuries BC. This means they are very important, ancient fruits.
Lemon
        I almost forgot to put lemons into this list. This is one of the most basic and popular fruits and is found to have multiple applications.
        Make a small test: think about biting a juicy lemon. What do you feel? If you have ever tried raw lemon you should already know the taste. The natural reaction for even imagining how this fruit tastes makes your mouth produce more saliva. At least this works in my case :)
        A funny fact about where lemons come from is that originally they were discovered growing in South-East China, but today it doesn't grow there in the wild and is also not farmed in China.
 
Lemons are widely used to create salads and dressings, they also take big part in making other products taste better, such as tea, coca cola and soft drinks.
 
Kiwi
        Not many people know kiwi has a bigger concentration of vitamin C than lemon does, and it definitely tastes better eaten raw. The skin of kiwi is “hairy”. It is also very, very thin.
        Kiwi is one of the most healthy fruits. It is a vitamin bomb. Everyone who is not allergic to this fruit can eat it. It is enough to just peel it and it is ready to be eaten raw. It is very tasty. They are safe for health.
        The biggest exporter of kiwi is New Zealand, where it is produced. Other countries that farm kiwi in Europe are Italy, Spain and France. The biggest impact on the consumption and the kiwi production has its richness in vitamins.  One kiwi contains 90 calories. This fruit is recommended for people who want to lose weight as, among others, it eases protein digestion.
        Studies show that kiwi contains inositol (sugar alcohol) which can be helpful in treating depression.
 
 
sources:

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for a very interesting and informative presentation! I love almost all the fruits you mentioned (except for the pineapple :P) and I truly eat a lot of bananas, mangoes (I highly recommend checking out dried mangoes, they are great), tangerines and kiwis. My boyfriend often makes an avocado cream and we eat sandwiches with it. And I make a lot of tea with lemon and orange pieces, cloves and raspberry juice ;) Anyway the funny thing is that I'm allergic to oranges (I also can't eat to many tangerines at once) but I love their smell and all my cosmetics have a citrus smell :)
The subject of this article is funny. I do not see this fruits as exotic at all. In my opinion exotic are those which we do not often eat and thy are expensive. Such examples are Carambola or Sharon.

I like very much all mentioned fruits, especially in form of fruit salad. It seems to be very good meal for hot days during summer. Some of them can cause allergy, so people have to be careful.

For women it also seems to be very important when cosmetics like balm or lipsticks smell in particular way. Usually they like also the smell of mentioned fruits.
Unknown said…
That's quite funny - as you mentioned, that all of these are "exotic" fruits, but we use it everyday. And they are also wuite cheap... To be honest I can't imagine not having some of these in my kitchen - lemon is an absolute must for almost everything! I eat bananas at least once in two days, i love to put kiwi into my yogurth (btw. Last time I have bought some different type of kiwi, by mistake, it has quite different color - it is more yellow, and the skin does not have hair :o I am a little bit scared to try it haha)
Unknown said…
Oranges and tangerine are also veery popular, you can buy juice squeezed from fresh oranges almost everywhere nowaydays!
You said that you like mango - to be honest I only triedit once, when I was in Greece (so I suppose everythig was fine with it?) but I didn't like it.... But I love some mango nectars and stuff like that, but the taste is completely different in my opinion! What is your experience?
IzabelaSzumen said…
You just earned a trophy for the most interesting article in the history!!! there is no any other way to be a better man then write something about fruits.
Unknown said…
Tasty article. :) The title is indeed humorous because all the fruits you listed are very popular in Poland. They are a common sight at my home so it took me a moment to realize that yes, they are technically exotic in our climate. My personal favorites from these are mango and kiwi. I absolutely love the taste of mango and I'm a big fan of mango lassi – a drink made from this fruit, blended and combined with sugar and yoghurt. Delicious.
Unknown said…
I also like the most of the presented fruits and I have also had a chance to try at least once each one of them.
Unknown said…
I think for both of the men and woman it makes a better sense to pick the cosmetics which smell the way they like.

I don't usually eat fruit salads because I don't like to mix the tastes of the fruits.

This subject was Ms Świerk idea :) It's true, that the title could mean a very different thing that in my topic.
Unknown said…
Whilst I was writing this presentation I realised how many exotic fruits we eat every day. I find the humanity, who creates a world in which we all share the very best goods of the nature, very inspiring.
Unknown said…
I think the first time I remember eating mango is when I was staying in Australia. This is such a good memory. It had the very best texture that I like and incomparable taste.
Unknown said…
write something about fruits then start commenting
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I should try this recipe once I can get my hands on some good mangos :) Thanks!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…

I totally agree with you that the pineapple is a icon of the “exotic food”. Since I remember fruits like pineapple, oranges and lemon was an icon of exotic food for me. When I do shopping, I see many kinds of exotic fruits and vegetables. It is amazing how many are them. It is interesting that the term “exotic" food is so much relative. Exotic food is pineapple, oranges, banana, avocado, etc. for us, but strawberries are the exotic food for people from other foreign country. For us the rhubarb is normally vegetables, but in the UK is an exotic vegetable/ fruit (?!) :)
I have never thought about fruit in this way: which where come from, how long they must grow, etc. I was hearing that we should eat one banana in the morning for the better frame of mind. I was hearing that the avocado is very very healthy vegetable. I have not heard about its fat.
Of course I like oranges and tangerines, but I eat it most of all when is Winter. For me it is the season for fruits like this.
Kiwi is one of the most healthy fruits. I’m afraid because I totally don't like this fruit.
Thanks for your article. It is very interesting and it contains many valuable informations
MartaSB said…
Thanks for a positive and colorful and at the same time very informative article! I love exotic fruit and I can share an info that the best bananas are definitely in Tenerife! They are small and very sweet, directly from local plantations. I heard an opinion after coming back to Poland that in comparison bananas taste here like raw potatoes :D

In summer I try to eat fruit every day, both local and exotic. Last time I ate rambutan, mangostan and granadilla - I highly recoomend those!
Unknown said…
So fresh and yummy article :D From your list of “Polish” fruit I have never tried mango. The funny thing is that I found Kiwi, and sometimes oranges, really sourer. In the hot days like today I would definitely mix some fruit with ice and drink sweet and cool juice :D
Unknown said…
I really like all fruits from your presentation, maybe except kiwi, wich is too sour for me. My favourite fruit from this list is definitely pineapple. It is even better when it lies on a top of tasty pizza. I also like bananas, especially in a form of a good milkshake.
Michal Kulesza said…
I haven't eaten Guacamole so far - gonna try for sure (maybe not self made to have some reference to compare mine later :)

You are right that bananas are transported green - but there's one danger there - there are chemicals used to keep them green during transport and later, another chemicals to make them yellow. I don't know how these substantions are called but I've heard that we should wash banans before eating them ( who's washing it, hey?).

Also I've heard that massive amounts of spiders travel with bananas ("Cupiennius") and they bite like bees - so be warned - it happend last year in Poland that people found one in shop: http://www.tvn24.pl/wroclaw,44/egzotyczny-pajak-znaleziony-w-sklepie-w-miliczu,499022.html
I love mango(I can eat few kilos of it at once), but unfortunately it is extremely hard to buy the right one in Poland. Ironically the best mangoes were available at Biedronka, but those were replaced about a year ago with unriipe, yellow, glazy, stringy, and sour ones.

I like every fruit on the list besides avocado which is tasteless to me thus there is no point of eating it.
Thank you for the presentation. I, as I believe a lot of other people here, have eaten all of the fruits you described in this presentation. I like the fruits and it's nice to learn some new facts about them. One thing about bananas - what we know as "bananas" here in Poland is basically just one of many kinds of bananas. There a lot more and they taste very differently. If you want to learn more about it then I recommend Wojciech Cejrowski's TV program. You can find parts of it on Youtube.
Unknown said…
Although I am very for eating seasonally and from local suppliers, sometimes I just can't resist eating tropical fruits.
I have two major observations regarding this subject:
1) The majority of tropical fruits sold in Poland are unripe and tasteless. Some of my friends that have visited exotic countries like Thailand and they agree with me. They say that they will never eat these fruits in Poland because now they know how they should taste and "Polish" tropical fruits are subbish compared to these "real" ones.
2) The other thing is that all these fruits are quite expensive. I'm not talking about these more popular, like bananas or citrus, but if you want to buy a really delicious avocado, you should be prepared to spend around 7 zł, mango is 14 zł per kg (around 8 zł per one) etc. And don't even bother buying something like papaya or mangostans.
It makes me really sad, because importing these fruits is not THAT hard. When I was in Norway, there were hundreds of perfectly ripe avocados in every single supermarket and they were really cheap. In UK you can get whatever you want, even cut and all ready for you to just unpack and eat. I can't wait to see all these products in our supermarkets and I hope they won't be as expensive as they are now.
And speaking of these fruits: have you ever tried a sweet version of avocado? You mix one avocado with 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons of a sweetener of your choice (agava syrup, honey etc.) and a little bit of milk and then you mash it with a fork to obtain smooth consistency. This is a very healthy and really delicious desert:) I also recommend a smooth mix of mango, mascarpone and youghurt - it is a perfect treat.
Julia Osiak said…
From all of the fruits mentioned in your article I like all but one - kiwi. Just like some people get goosebumps when they think about nails scratching on a chalkboard, this the feeling I get when thinking about eating kiwi. I am always excited to try new exotic fruits. Some of my favorites, which I now often incorporate into my baking are fresh figs, kumquats and passion fruits. Unfortunately, I must agree with Paulina - most of these fruits are unripe and are nowhere near to being as delicious in Poland as they should be.
Paulina - your recipe for sweet avocado is intriguing. I have used avocados as bases for some vegan desserts but I haven't tried it like that. It's on my to do list now!
I think that these fruits are no longer exotic. In my opinion fruits are so common that the word “exotic” it’s not good for them. They are only other country of origin. On the other hand it’s very fantastic that we can eat every day fruits from the end of the world. From your examples, I like the most bananas, orange and lemon.
Unknown said…
Really interesting article. I like all fruits you mention above except kiwi. Kiwi’s pulp tastes great but seeds ruins it effectively. And what is sad most of my favorite fruits are to sour to be consumed in direct way. Because I have acid sensitive teeth I’m forced to eat them in mixed form neutralized with water :/.
And what else I know about bananas is fact that they have poor immunity and can easily extinct.
Unknown said…
I don't imagine my life without exotic fruits. I eat these fruits every day, a lot of pinapple, avocado, mango. I love it. My diet consists of fruits and vegetables. This is good for my health and well-being and of course it is better than eating sweets.
Unknown said…
The best tropical fruit for me is kiwi. It is very good for health and everything about it in your article is true! I prefer only sour and hard kiwi and can eat every day. Not everyone knows that it is more healthier to eat kiwi with skin. The hairy skin of the kiwi fruit is high in antioxidants and thought to have ­anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-­allergenic properties
You can find more information here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1325741/Eating-skin-fruit-vegetables-combat-cancer.html
Yummy! :)

Fruits are my favourite food category. I love all those from your presentation, except avocado. I know avocados are super healthy, but for me they taste so bland... :( Anyway, the rest of them are really tasty, and I think they're a perfect replacement for sweets or cakes.

The funny thing I've heard about fruits is that some people actually eat kiwi with the peel! I've asked one of my facebook friends about it when she posted a photo of a fruit salad with sliced kiwi with the peel. She says lots of people eat kiwi that way, you only need to wash them. I believe some people do that, but when I imagine eating that hairy-like peel, I get goosebumps :D
I've never been to Thailand, but I certainly agree with the first point! I never liked watermelons until I visited Greece and tried watermelons there. They taste totally different than the polish ones - they're sweet and juicy, and in Poland every watermelon I tasted was bland and watery.
Mateusz Frycie said…
The article was very interesting! Until I read it, I was not aware of the fact, how many different kinds of exotic fruits I am eating every day. Truly, I was not thinking about it. Thanks to you I will be more aware of their origin origin and properties. I love fruit. I am using it every day to prepare delicious milk coctails and salads.
Unknown said…
From the fruits mentioned in the presentation I really love pineapples and avocado (is it really a fruit...?). Lately I add avocado to almost every meal, it tastes perfectly with everything! I don't consider all of these as "exotic", nowadays it's easy available and has lost its uniqueness.
Unknown said…
Personally I love exotic fruits. Exotic fruits are sweeter than this with are grow in Poland. Often I`m buying bananas, they are ideal for lunch. And of course I love the mango, always I buys them for improvement humour. I've never thought about the origins of these fruits.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?