Skip to main content

[Week 11] Not-so-popular music

Not-so-popular music

I'm sure that all of us listen to some kind of music. There are some many music genres it seems impossible for a person not to find at least one he would like. Music is part of the human nature - already in the prehistoric times the first humans were amused by repetitive sound.

Music is a big part of my life. Don't get me wrong: I certainly am no musician, I don't posses any musical talent nor can I play any musical instrument. However, in spite of my great ignorance I have always enjoyed good music and have listened to a lot of it, especially during my high school time when I basically had my headphones on all the time. I can't think of any specific genre which I prefer over others ??- I believe that if a song is good, than there's nothing more to it. Although for some reason I like almost only English vocalists. There are really a few non-English singing bands or musicians I listen to and usually they are Polish or Italian. I don't like not understanding what the singer is saying, it kind of misses the point of listening to him in my opinion.

But let's get to the point! What I would like to do is present a few bands that you might not have heard of and who are worth getting checkout. Let's begin!

You might remember my presentations from the last semester concerning Role Playing Games. A theme well known to people playing such games is Steampunk. I shall cover the term better in my next presentation, for now all you need to know is that the idea behind steampunk is the 19th century with highly efficient steam engines or other highly efficient (for those times) technology. Possibly with a mix of magic and mysticism.  There are actually many bands representing this style, but one of the best is Steam Powered Giraffe.


(Image source: http://steampunkworldsfair.com/steam-powered-giraffe/)

The three people you see are not only great musicians but also even better actors and the "theme" of the band is that it consists of robots from the Steampunk era created by eccentric scientists. Each robot persona has its own background story which can be read on their webpage. What is more important, they make wonderful songs which you can listen on YouTube. Here are my favorites:


(Image source: http://theticketrumba.com/tickets/827)

The second band I would like to present is (hed) Planet Earth. This is one of my favorite bands of all times and I actually have some really good memories connected with it. It's difficult to define their style since nearly every song seems to be somehow different from the other, but they all are definitely quite "hardcore". Obviously over a very long time my taste has changed and I don't listen to them so much as I did in high school. It's not so easy for me to pick their best song, but here are two that I think pretty much allow one to decide whether you like the band or not:
Finally the last band I would like to mention is Hypnogaja.



(Image source: http://cs4299.vk.me/u3389044/122344327/x_5b74a1f3.jpg)

Actually I discovered the band by listening to the soundtrack of the video game Devil May Cry 4 in the creation of which they took part. I never heard about this band before, but once I listened to it, it became one of my all-time favorites. I think they connect strong, but not always loud or fast-paced sounds with really interesting lyrics. I wouldn't go  far and call them brilliant poets or anything, but there aren't that many modern bands out there who know how to make smart play with words. Also I like "new" genres of modern musical and enjoy listening to bands that  diverge a bit from the mainstream sounds, while not exaggerating.  I think you could say Hypnogaja is a bit like a modern Jefferson Airplane (another good band by the way). Here is my absolute favorites form of this band:
I would love to write about many more bands which I believe deserve more attention than they get. Looking forward to your comments on the bands! Here are some questions I would like you to answer, but you are invited to comment on different things:
1.       What are your favorite music genres?
2.       Did you like any of the bands I presented? Which one?

3.       Are there any bands you really like, but aren't known very much?

Comments

My favourite music genres hmmm it's difficult questions. Generally I listen what I like, regardless of genre. But, it is mostly rock or rock derivatives, sometimes I listen blues, electro, rap and reggae. My favourite band from article is Hypnogaja. I have never heard this group, any group from your text. Hypnogaja is really good. My second choice is Planet Earth. I know piece of song from some advertisement from TV.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Happy I could show you a band you liked! I also find it very hard to tell specifically the genres of music I like so I understand. :D
Dalvia said…
1. What are your favorite music genres?

Well, I listen to old rock, to pop music, indie rock, jazz and rock'n'roll, depending on my mood. My favorite bands, are The Beatles, The Ting Tings, Bryan Adams, Sting, Frank Ferdinand, Mando Diao, Gotye...
2. Did you like any of the bands I presented? Which one?

I liked Steemed punk giraffe and Hypnogaja. The middle one was little bit too much for me, but others.... thank you for sharing them with us! Got new music, finally :)

3. Are there any bands you really like, but aren't known very much?

I like Warsaw Village Band. Discovered them almost 10 years ago, when I was in Monpellier (France), and they were amazing. Since then I listen to them very often. But others... i think you all know them ;)
Unknown said…
1. What are your favorite music genres?
I do not devide music to genres. I rather to devide music to the one that I like and that I do not like. I do it mostly because I am very universal when it comes to muisc. I can listen to music of any genre, which does not mean that I like all of them.
2. Did you like any of the bands I presented? Which one?
I watched Riahanna song by steam powered giraffe. It wasn't anything great but it was ok. You can watch it by yourself if you like. Here is the URL link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-VJOzb-10.
3. Are there any bands you really like, but aren't known very much?
Not really, I like music but I do not stick to a band. If there is a band that have some good music i will gladly listen selected track only. This apply also to well known artist like Rihanna and other artists.
Kasia Kmieć said…
I don’t have just one favorite music genre. I’m open minded and anything that has that “something” can catch my attention. However, most of the songs I like are indie pop. No offence, but those bands you presented were not something I’d chose. Steam Powered Giraffe I guess is OK but I’d have to be in a really weird mood to listen to that. Hypnogaja was better, but for a background to work and Hed is some music mistake.

I like many bands and I don’t really know if they’re popular or not – I simply don’t care. I usually play random songs depending on mood I’m in. For example there was a time I was into Blood Red Shoes (maybe that one, not popular), but know I can’t remember the last time I played it. To be honest it’s not the best topic – to discuss someone’s “favorites”. It’s not something to discuss.
I'm very happy you liked those bands! I really think that they deserve to be known! I understand you might not like hed pe, it's very particular.
I knew about the cover of Diamonds by SPG and I actually like it much more than the original version. Not a big Rihanna fan actually.
I understand, however I believe that it is a great topic to discuss, because this way we can find out about new music bands. That's how I discovered many bands I like :P. And I believe talking about "favorites" is actually a very good topic, be it music or political preferences. It's just interesting to hear what people like or don't like and possibly why. I don't believe in the famous " de gustibus non est disputandum" - I actually think that every discussion is, one way or another, about ones preferences.
My favorite music genres are a classic music, rock/metal, pop and sometimes jazz, but I mainly listening this kind of music which simply will going to like me, so time to time I could be able to find out some interesting to me rap track, but I don’t like this kind of music.
From this article I rather choose the Steam Powered Giraffe band, they excellent combine cybernetic movements (from dubstep) with steampunk and good played music.
Unknown said…
1. What are your favorite music genres?

Ohh. It's difficult question. I prefer rock, ambient electronic music.

2. Did you like any of the bands I presented? Which one?

None of them I knew but all fell into my ear. But best of three is (hed) Planet Earth

3. Are there any bands you really like, but aren't known very much?

Yes, i think isn't known very much, and this is the Polish band -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtHRqMSyTCc
Thanks for sharing the band I think I'll have to add them to my music library!
I'm happy you liked them! They are really a unique group.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?