Skip to main content

[Week 11] Steampunk

I mentioned the term in my previous presentation  speaking of the band Steam Powered Giraffe. Apart from that, there is a high chance you've heard the term before. Whether that is the case or not, I will try to make it more familiar, because I think it's a very interesting...

Yeah, what is it exactly? I must shamefully admit that I needed the help of our old friend Wikipedia to aid me in choosing the right words and I think I found the right ones. So steam punk is a sub-genre of science-fiction, or perhaps a deviation on the classic concept of science-fiction. The main idea is a 19th century world in which however very efficient  steam-engines were invented and technology is much more advanced. Alongside with clockwork, gears and engines also magic is usually heavily represented, whether it's the concept of a European alchemist transmuting led into gold or an Indian shaman summoning the spirits of his ancestors in the wild west.

There are many sub-cultures similar to this one, but I believe steampunk is one of the biggest in the world. You might be surprised, but there are a lot of steampunk communities. Many steampunk conventions are organized all over the globe and people are very passionate about it.



Personally I think it's a very interesting idea, because while people have developed awesome technology and tamed the power of magic, culturally and ideologically it's still the 19th century. It makes for a very interesting environment to create great stories and movies. The gadgets and costumes people sometimes invent are simply awesome.

Speaking about movies though, there aren't so many steampunk movies out there (although this could be a topic of discussion), but there are at least too I will mention, because not only they do show some steampunk, but they are simply good movies: Wild Wild West (giant robotic spider at the end) is one that probably most people have seen or heard of and The league of extraordinary gentleman (nearly everything about it) is one of my personal favorites. Also Dorian Grey is somewhat connected with the idea behind steampunk.

Apart from the band I mentioned before, there are many more bands  related to the steampunk culture. I would say that the most "steampunk-ie" I know is The Cog is Dead.

There are bands that keep the steampunk image, although their music is not very steampunk.   Maybe the lyrics of, e.g.   Abney Park. For other bands like The Cog is Dead I could mention The Tenth Stage and the brilliant Clockwork Quartet: 

Finally, I would like to say about a huge Polish contribution into the world of steampunk. For all the RPG lovers, one of the best steampunk role playing games has been created in Poland and is called Wolsung. It actually is known worldwide!

That concludes this presentation. Here are some question you are invited to answer, but can also ignore them and comment on whatever you want:
1.       Have you heard about steam punk before? What is your opinion on it?
2.       Are there any similar genres or sub-cultures similar to this one that interest you?

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
http://images.cryhavok.org/v/Steampunk+Mouse+Skull.jpg.html
http://alternativefitspiration.blogspot.com/2013/06/steampunk-fitspiration.html

Comments

Of course I haven't heard about steampunk before. Serious. Human ideas are amazing. It's good that such people exists. The world isn't sad and gray. I haven't strong opinion on this subject. As long as they don't harm anyone, it's no problem. Good for them that they have a passion and they aren't boring like me :) I'm not interesting about subculture, so I don't know that any exists from my area of interest.
Well said - about the world not being gray thanks to people with passion!
Dalvia said…
Oh gosh, I love steam punk! While I was living in Brussels, I read tons of comic-books in that kind of a world, of which I don't remember a single title, of course (damn me being a poor student without possibility of buying those comic-books :/)
Anyway, it's an amazing topic, my good friend specialize in drawings in this world (Samuel Pirlot) at actually he's the one who invited me to this world. Amazing. But I just love when old and new are mixed. And magic must be. EVERYWHERE. Period :)
Unknown said…
1. Have you heard about steam punk before? What is your opinion on it?
I have never heard about steam punk before. I think it is very artistic and many people can express them self by it. Those pictures are also really interesting, I like the eccentric gadget addition to this man arm and face.
2. Are there any similar genres or sub-cultures similar to this one that interest you?
Not really this is the first time I have seen such a sub-culture like this one. Or perhaps we cauld say about people wearing costiums from Star War movie. Nothing alse comes to my head at this time.
Kasia Kmieć said…
I’m quite fascinated by the steam punk sub-culture but just as an observer. However, I don’t follow any news about it and I’m not really interested in any subculture or genre. When it comes to steam punk I guess I’ve only tried tribal belly dance which can be described in such way. Here’s an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZA68xoly8
So great to see somebody that understands me! I also love when people connect old and new things together! Really, really happy to see a fellow steampunk fan! Or for that matter, somebody that likes magic! :D
Star Wars actually have a pretty big sub-culture, so it's a great example! :D
Thanks for sharing the movie! I actually like belly dancing and admire the people who do it. Actually the performance on that clip was quite mystic!
Since some time, I’d started to interesting mainly in a clothes which are related with Steampunk. There are nice combination of XIX century (occasionally XVIII century) clothes with alternative history, where humanity has remained in the ages of steam, sometimes with doped of magic. Every now and then I like to wear this kind of clothes, of course less theatrically. (My friends saying that I looking like a cowboy).

The similar stream would be the Cyberpunk, where technology are in the highly level and everything is possible, for example functional and permanently artificial limbs. This king of world is partly shown in the Star Wars movies.
Unknown said…
1. Have you heard about steam punk before? What is your opinion on it?
no i havent heard about it before, but i must admit that they are quite interesting subculture. I will read some news connected with steam punk/
2. Are there any similar genres or sub-cultures similar to this one that interest you?
I dony know any, but this definetely must change. tonight. :)
Yeah, I know the feeling when friends don't really get the old fashioned clothing style. Apart from steam punk I think that the XIX century is a very interesting one.
I am very happy I got you interested! :D
Unknown said…
Have you ever considered mental treatment? Steam punk - now this is a sick hobby. Dressing like 19th century hooker and using non-working things magically powered by steam can be real fun, of course if you are a resident of acute care psychiatric unit of a local hospital. Let’s be honest, these thing will not work. Imagine steam powered tooth brush - you can get your teeth cleaned and get third-degree burns of your mouth and tongue at the same time - unpleasant and very useful. Everyone should have this in their household! Or steam powered PC computer - you know that steam leaves your Windows misty? The only things that works are steam iron and Steam, platform for downloading games. These are the only steamy things I’m interested in. Of course, you know it’s a joke, right?

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?