Skip to main content

Week 8 [04.12 - 10.12.2017] Pride and Prejudice

Book

                                                                                    http://www.publicbookshelf.com/romance/pride-prejudice/

The book written by Jane Austen, released in 1813.
The main character is Elizabeth Bennet – described by the author “as delightful a creature as ever appeared in print”. She is multidimensional – the reader can see a great range of emotions and thoughts. Her mother, Mrs. Bennet’s greatest goal is to give her daughters rich husbands and it is a source of many funny and awkward moments.
The story begins when Mr. Bingley, a rich bachelor, moved into the neighborhood of Bennet’s family and Mrs. Bennet wants to marry him with her oldest daughter, Jane.
The novel is an image of the society in XVIII/XIX century. There are described and discussed topics of marriage, wealth, class and self-knowledge. You can learn a lot about the situation of women and how they were viewed by the society, how they were supposed to act and think.
I read it this summer and I loved it. It is easy to read and addictive. There are many characters, so at the beginning there may be a problem with memorization of all of them, but later it isn’t problem anymore. Thanks to great descriptions you can move your mind to an English town and landscapes.

I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fiction and historical novels.


Movie

I’ve wrote about movie based on the book at our course and you can find it here: http://konwersatorium1-ms-pjwstk.blogspot.com/2017/04/week-5-0304-09042017-costume-movies-you.html

Contemporary adaptation

https://www.sundowncinema.co.uk/event/bridget-jones/

I believe that everyone has heard of “Bridget Jones's Diary”. But did you know that it is reinterpretation of “Pride and Prejudice”?
Bridget is a single, working woman. She’s got one problem almost always on her mind – her weight. She is modern Elizabeth who doesn’t like the idea of marrying someone just to be in marriage, conscious of her imperfection. She’s got a lot of fights with her mother, who wants to convince her to marriage – just like Mrs. Bennet wanted to extort Elizabeth to get married.  In books and movies you can see her struggle with finding love and her place in the world.

I love books and movies about Bridget Jones - they are funny, moving and sometimes they may make you think different about problems. I know that most of you won’t read books, but I highly recommend watching movies – great comedies to watch, alone or in company. 

Extra

Some time ago I found a movie which sounded interesting, so I watched it. This movie was “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”

         http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies/250922/pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies-new-trailer-and-poster

The movie is a good adaptation of “Pride and Prejudice” – with extra words “zombie” and scenes of fight. Oh, and the Bennet sisters were trained in martial arts in China. This is quite funny and interesting piece of work. You can find in it famous actors, Lily James (“Baby driver”), Sam Riley (“Maleficent”), Charles Dance (“Game of Thrones”) and Lena Headey (“300”, “Game of Thrones”) – I was really surprised when I saw such popular actors there. There was a rather high budget, so movie and effects are nice to watch.

If you like “Sharknado”, zombies and sword/gun fights this movie is for you.


Questions:
1.   Have you ever seen any of mentioned movies? If yes – did you like it? If no – would you like to watch one?
2. Have you read any of mentioned books? If yes – did you like it? If no – would you like it? Why?
3.  Is making reinterpretation of books or movies a good idea?
4.  Do you know any other reinterpretation? 

Comments

I saw all of movies you've mentioned despite the last one with zombies. Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightley was quite nice, her acting was impressing. I was never huge fan of Bridget Jones diaries but somehow I've seen all parts of it, even that the newest one where Hugh Grant is replaced by Patrick Dempsey, so I guess I do not have rights to hate it. When it comes to that last movie about zombies I do not find it neither interesting or funny, so probably I will not watch it.
I haven't read any of mentioned book and I don't think I will - it's just not my cup of a tea. I prefer some fantasy books more, especially some epic book series.
"Is making reinterpretation of books or movies a good idea?". I will give most popular possible answers - it depends. There are cases like "Romeo+Juliet" with Leonardo DiCaprio which is settled in gangster city, more like "Godfather" than original work made by Shakespeare. Movie mentioned by me was quite well reviewed by critics and a lot of people found it fun. "Sherlock" tv series made by BBC is other good example that reinterpretation can be something fresh and well made. There are also movies like newest "Alice in Wonderland" that imo is bad movie, it does not create something new with that story.
I'm not sure if someone who is not interested with Japan culture has ever heard about Akira Kurosawa, but he is believed to be best Japanese movie director ever. One of his most popular movie called "Throne of blood" is his version of Macbeth. Actually a lot of movies that we would never think of that are not original stories, are reinterpretations of some book.
Unknown said…
I really like examples you used - I totally agree with them. BBCs 'Sherlock' is interesting and to someone who have only read books it may be surprising, 'Alice in Wonderland' was awful and 'Romeo and Juliet' was rather totally different story than reinterpretation.
I didn't know that 'Throne of blood' was based on Macbeth, thank you for information.
Tell me, but honest, haven't you find Bridget Jones Diaries funny, even at some points? :)
I'm not saying that Bridget Jones is a bad movie, there are some funny parts there, but it's just not my type of movie.
I’ve seen Bridget Jones’s Diary but I didn’t know or realise that it’s a reinterpretation of Pride and Prejudice. There are similarities like they are both independent women with annoying mothers but I see those movies as totally different stories. Maybe it’s because I’m a big fun of the original book and not really fond of Bridget Jones movies. I haven’t seen Pride and Prejudice and Zombies when I’ve heard about it I’ve thought it’s a joke but if you recommend it I’ll give it a try.
Unknown said…
I remember how it hit me, when I was reading 'Pride and Prejudice' similarities between Mr. Darcy (Bridget Jones) and Mr. Darcy. I found it really funny to search for similarities, equivalents and so on. It was like revelation.
If you liked Pride and Prejudice you will find this movie a good interpretation with some extras :)
Tomasz Morawski said…
Even though I heard something about those moves, I don't recall ever watching them. Maybe if I were bored and they were airing on TV, I'd watch them but it's the only time I can "offer" them :)
I've never read them and I don't think I'll ever do. I'm not really into this genre.
I'd think about it if it had some fantasy reinterpretation, though. Generally speaking, I believe reinterpretations are very good idea, since it can provide story with similar message to different groups. This way, the creation of some authors may reach more people, which is usually a good thing.
I can't recall many reinterpretations right now but I remember I liked "10 Things I Hate about You" very much. It's movie based on the one of Shakespeare
Jakub Lisicki said…
I have watched some of the "Bridget Jones" movie parts, just by random chance as it was sometimes playing on the TV in the background. I don't remember much of it so I can't tell if it's good or bad. I don't want to judge it only by it's cover, which doesn't appear to me too much.
I didn't read the mentioned book - I would give it a try though. I like reading and I don't see any reasons why I shouldn't read (or try to read) this one.
I don't like most of the reinterpretations of the already-existing stories because most of them are a total failures. They are completely shallow and seem to lack the deepness in the previous issues.
I haven't seen the new movie called "Murder on the Orient Express", but so far I'm pretty fed up that it has got much worse reviews than the original novel-based movie filmed in 1974.
Marcin Górski said…
I think, that I watched "Bridget Jone's Diary" with my mom when I was younger :D
It wasn't interesting for me but I love spending time with my parents and I think that wasn't waste o time!
I have never read any of those books and I don't want to read it. Why? Normally I don't read books but if I want to read something... I'm choosing Jo Nesbo books. I think that he is writing the best criminal stories on the world!
About making reinterpretation of books? In my opinion it isn't a good idea, maybe I have seen only bad reinterpretations... Of course it depends.. on director, movie budget etc. As I said, book is the book and movie is the movie.
I saw the new movie called "Snowman". It is reinterpretation which based on Jo Nesbo book with the same name. It wasn't good...
Unknown said…
I really like your view of reinterpretation and to be honest I haven't though about like that before. But I agree - putting a story for example in modern days with modern, known problems may make the story easier to understand. Thank you for that comment!
Unknown said…
I was a bit interested in new movie, as I loveed the book, but what I've read about and heard make me skeptical. Actually, it is not a reluctance, it is rather a fear - that someone and something may ruin a story I liked. All climate, uncertainty and theories made a great picture in my head and I wouldn't like to have it ruined by some movie.
Unknown said…
Books I've mentioned definitely are not criminals, so probably you wouldn't like them. If you like criminals I recommend you Agatha Christie - classic of the type, easy to read, nice brain teasers - less tension than in Nesbo, but really nice (it is somehow weird to use that word for a criminal).
I can undersatand - bad experience make opinion. As it is said "what was senn cannot be unseen", and same thing is with opinion. It is easy to make one - one bad reinterpretation will be enough, buch change mind of rule depends much more good examples.
I have to watch Zombie edition just to make my view full. Watched two of them - 2005 edition of the movie and then of course Bridget Jones. Liked both of them but never thought there is a correlation between them until now. Thank you for that. I have a Zombie in my queue of films to watch.
Yes, I have watched “Bridget Jones's Diary” and “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”, in my opinion, "Bridget Jone's Diary" is more interesting than quite mediocre “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”.
I tried to read this book a few years ago but I didn't succeed, because "Pride and Prejudice" is definitely women's novel and it's not for me.
There is nothing wrong with making reinterpretation of books or movies, if the final product is good - why not? There are a lot of great movies based on interpretations of old movies or books.
For example, "Ocean’s Eleven"(2001) - great example of recreating or rethinking an old movie(1960) as a new conception.
Unknown said…
Have you seen all of Bridget Jones movies? Which one you liked the most?
Let us know your opinion after watching the zombie edition :)
Unknown said…
I think that there will be another reinterpretation of "Ocean's Eleven" - this time with females. What do you think of it? Do you like reinterpretations when actually only sex of cast is changed?

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?