Skip to main content

Week 11 (11.01-17.01.2016) Hip Hop is 40!


Imagine living in Bronx, New York. The year is 1973. There are countless, violent gangs, blood spill everywhere and the situation is getting so bad the police are afraid to intervene. There is a man known as Afrika Bambaataa – he is the leader of one of the most fearsome and brutal gangs, an organization called the Black Spades.

He’s one of the most influential people responsible for the music as we know it today. He is also the one who managed to unite black communities and found a way to stop mindless violence, giving people the possibility to express themselves freely and showing them how to turn their emotions into art. How is that possible? It all began on August 11, 1973 at a block party he rocked with his buddy, a DJ known as Kool Herc.

(source: bbc.com)

They wanted to try something fresh and new. Instead of playing full tracks, DJ Kool Herc was playing just the instrumental “breaks” – he did that by using the same record on both turntables at the same time, and looping those short parts in various songs which always made people go crazy. Doing exactly that, he started something even his enemies didn’t want to stop. And this is how hip hop was born.


There’s one item it’s hard to imagine urban music without. It’s the one and only Technics SL-1200 MK2 turntable.

(source: djworx.com)


Tom Terrel, a respectable journalist from the National Public Radio in the States, in the mid-2000s called the 1200 “the most important musical instrument of the last two-and-a-half decades”. (source: djrankings.com) You heard it right – not Fender Stratocaster, neither any of Les Paul guitars - but the 1200 itself, a turntable – something that wasn’t even designed as an instrument in the first place. A few years later the Rolling Stone magazine mentioned the same thing. This is how influential the MK2 was.

Nowadays 1200s can be found in each and every single night club all over the world, and there’s even one SL-1210 on display at London Science Museum, as as one of the pieces of technology that’s shaped the world we live in. And although the production has been discontinued in 2010 due to market conditions, there are already plans of bringing it back on the shelves later this year. For more than quadruple of the original price, mind you.


One last thing I want to show you is a recording from this year’s IDA World Championship hosted in Cracow a month ago. I highly recommend watching the video and listening to Woody’s set even if you are not a fan of hip hop music – this is a prime example of one of the world’s best turntablists performing at the highest level. Also the story he tells during the performance serves a great educational value as well. The interesting and unique thing about this live act is that it’s also a visual experience – he is mixing both music and video clips at the same time, using nothing but 2 turntables and a digital mixer. He’s one of the first (and still very few) performers to do that – but who knows, this might be just the future of DJing. See for yourself what it’s all about in the video above.

And why am I telling you all this stuff? Next time you hear somebody talking bad things about hip-hop music and saying that it’s nothing but mindless spitting about easy chicks and being flat out drunk, or alternatively about shooting, killing and blowing stuff up - you can be sure they haven’t got a slightest idea what they are talking about. There are 4 core elements of Hip Hop as culture movement – breakdancing, graffiti, DJing and MCing. KRS-One, a famous old school rapper known also as “The Teacha” says that those are all about peace, love, unity and having fun. That’s also to make you aware of the fact that today’s so called “hip hop” as we know it has pretty much nothing to do with real hip hop – and I’m not trying to say it’s bad and we shouldn’t listen to it or anything like that - we just should be aware of the difference.

Comments

Well, despite from knowing the history and origin for me hip hop is still just nothing but mindless spitting and it will always be. Some people like it and it is hard for me to understand how it is possible when we have so many wonderful real music pieces. Starting from the very beginning - all the gangs and all those people it is shown that the social group is nothing else than rabble and trash. Those who like it apparently represent the same low mental level. I am really sorry for those who still confuse it with music. Music is based on the beginnings of human history and carries with it a landslide value and we can not say the same about hip-hop.
Well, the topic is a bit hard for me because I don't really like hip hop or any related genres. :) It's just not my style, neither the music nor the style.
Woah, seems we've got a real elitarist here. I don't like hip hop either, but I would never write things like this. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean people who do 'represent low mental level'. I didn't think I would meet anyone here who takes stereotypes so seriously.
Unknown said…
"I don't like it, if u like it, you must be stupid!
Go like it on another planet you low mental level people!"
Unknown said…
It is very interesting. I have never before interested in story of hip- hop. Ok it is rather not mine style of music, but the topic is very good. Btw Afrika Bambaataa- good name :P
I admire rappers who tell the story- his "songs" with speed of the light :P It is great and very exciting. I know it is not the real hip- hop but for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvoz-fSze8s from about 2:20.
Project from your link probably may be fascinating, but one more time- it is not mine :P
Regarding with the last point of your article I know that this music has usually big value. Furthermore I think that this type of music is inspired experience more than many other type of music and I think that is their the biggest good and power.
Unknown said…
Nice story but I don't like hip hop, it's not my climate ;) Despite this I think it is a valuable genre, because it had a big impact on contemporary culture. I didn'tt know that hip-hop culture consists of 4 cores, it's quite interesting. Paradoxically I don't like this music but I really I'm fascinated by grafitti. In my opinion it's a great form of art which we could have contact on the street, not in a museum.
Unknown said…
Well, that's a one long movie. But it's 40 years of this culture. Happy birthday Hip Hop. On the other hand i am not that old to remember the beginning but right now i put hip hop aside. For me this kind of music in the past 10 years connected with other categories. Now we have hip ho polo, hip po popo, ect. First time i heard about hip hop in polish was when i found "Jeden osiem L" song. Then i jumped to Eminem where i stayed for some time until i found pleasure in reggae. That's my story. Any way for me hip hop should come back to it's original root.
Unknown said…
My favorite kind of music is hip-hop. I have listened this music since childhood. I don’t know about these facts. It is surprise for me that hip hop was started by leader of one of the most fearsome and brutal gangs - Afrika Bambaataa. I know about crips and bloods gangs. Many famous rappers belong to these gangs. Bloods:
Cypress Hill
The Gam
Lil Wayne
Kendrick Lamar

Crips:
Snoop Dogg
Eazy E
Xzibit
Coolio
Nate Dogg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0h3YcW1XIk- this is a really interesting film about Crips
Aleksander M said…
Wow, such ignorance. I identify a lot with both hip hop and jazz music. There's no need to feel sorry for me though, I'd rather stay open-minded low mental level rabble and trash, than simply a bigot - but whatever floats your boat man!
Aleksander M said…
Love this video and I have never heard it before - thank you for sharing! And to be honest that's exactly what to me hip hop is all about - the unchained creativity, being able to create something original and unexpected while bending genres on the way.

There's a polish MC called Silk who did something that you might find interesting. In case you haven't heard it yet - take a look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuAX65lYHBs
Cheers!
Aleksander M said…
Yeah, it's said that hip hop is rather a lifestyle movement, more of a culture than just a set genre of music, and in fact music itself is just a quarter of it.
I'm a huge fan of graffiti myself and I do believe that polish street artists are one of the world's best!
Aleksander M said…
I feel you man. The scene has changed a lot in the last 15 years or so, and radio stations have been taken over by the "new school" long ago. In fact the band you mentioned is partially responsible for exactly that happening, haha.
But the roots still live strong and in fact I feel like there's a renaissance of old school coming up in the next few years. We will see how it goes though and as for today, there's still lots of great music to listen to. You just gotta know where to look for it. Thanks for posting, big up!
Aleksander M said…
The golden era :) West Coast party bangers! Can't forget about the East though, I've always been a fan of NY originals such as DJ Premier/Gang Starr or A Tribe Called Quest.

I've seen the documentary, it is interesting indeed. There's another one if you are interested in learning more about the roots and the very beginnings, it's called Scratch. You can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEKRAn-ZleM
Although I'm pretty sure I've also seen a polish subbed version somewhere around the internet if that's what you prefer.
Unknown said…
Happy Birthday, hip-hop! But honestly it's totally not my cup of tea. There was a moment in my life, when I was about 10 perhaps, when I did listen to some hip-hop but I haven't listened to it since primary school and it just doesn't speak to me at all.
Since I listen to wide spectrum of rock music I'll share a good old example of how those two can cooperate :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk
Aleksander M said…
This is a wonderful example and a great song, a true classic! Also one of the best and most creative music videos I have ever seen. Gotta love it!

It's also included and creatively mixed in the DJ Woody's set I linked in the original post. Thanks for sharing!
Unknown said…
Same here. Not my tape of music at all ;) Or the general type of style/behaviour.
Unknown said…
I'm not a big fan of this kind of music but do not hide the works of some artists I like very much. Some of these songs I can listen to over and over again. Thanks to your article know a little more about the music.
I think that a good supplement to this article could be the work of our artists Radzimir Dębski, who created the orchestral version of his own history of Hip-Hop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0aLMsh4mvU
Unknown said…
I'm not a big fan of this kind of music. But sometimes I like to listen to hip-hop. This is usually a Polish hip-hop.
I knew that hip-hop had its beginnings in the Bronx, but I had no idea that it was 40 years ago.
I agree, there is no need to be putting on airs and insulting others.
Honestly, I'm not into hip-hop music nor related genres, it is just not my cup of tea. Although I used to listen to Eminem when I was in secondary school:) However, it is interesting to read about its history, always good to know something new. So how have you started getting to know hip-hop music and culture? My favourite genre of music is instrumental (mostly movie/game soundtrack), I also enjoy calming tunes like Nora Jones. I used to be against Polish music, but recently I have discovered some nice Polish artists like Mela Koteluk and I am willing to expand my horizons.
Interesting topic about hip-hop history
I like listening hip hop music especially hip hop song's instrumental which is made by high quality music sample. They are awesome, sometimes it’s kind of genius for me. Although this kind of music comes from poor and low-life area, nowadays hip-hop is a form of salvation for so many people
Unknown said…
As many people here I'm not a fan of this music so It's hard for me to discuss this topic. I'm an open-minded person though. From time to time I find a hip-hop song that sounds interesting for me and I might listen to it a few times, but other than that I prefer different music - rock, instrumental and electronic mostly. :)
Unknown said…
In my opinion, judging people at an angle of what music you listen to is very unfair. I know many people who listen hip-hop and they are very valuable. Experiencing such stereotypes is for me very stupid and shows immaturity. I used to listen to hip-hop in my life and I don't think that I'm stupid... :)
Aleksander M said…
But of course! JIMEK's performance was absolutely great and I remember reading a story about it, as far as I remember it wasn't really planned at all - this was an idea he came up with the night before the show. Instead of going to sleep he wrote all the notes and handed them to musicans just before the start.

No way to confirm whether it's true ot not but it's interesting nonetheless!
Aleksander M said…
I've been raised on a lot of jazz, soul and funk music and hip hop was sort of a natural progression for me. I've been into it probably my whole life. Nowadays I listen to pretty much everything due to the fact I work in a music environment, but hip hop sort of glues everything together for me just because it's so broad.

I love instrumental/"alternative" hip hop as well and I think it works great for movies as well. There's a sick CD with this kind of jazzy, chilled-out movie-inspired instumental hip hop you might find interesting, have a listen at:
http://digital.berryweight.com/album/music-for-imaginary-movies
Hope you like it!
Aleksander M said…
I guess that was supposed to be a reply to Cezary Góralski's post? I 100% agree with you!

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?