Skip to main content

Week 7 (17-23 November): Molecular Gastronomy - Food, Science or Just a Fad?



Food and cooking, just like any other areas of our lives or parts of culture are susceptible to fashion and new trends. For some time now there is a boom of culinary bloggers, vloggers, critics and foodies. They mostly focus on dishes that are traditional or creative and innovative through the unusual addition of new ingredients. Taking a classic recipe and giving it a new twist. Even when looking at the catering and restaurant business in Warsaw you can see how some food trends appear, have their big 5minutes and then slowly fade away. The first example, from the top of my head, would be burgers. There are just so many places that ‘specialize’ in making burgers that I have lost count. Some of them are just plain normal some are really exciting and use ingredients that I would never say that they would work in a burger. Still, burgers are just like a plaid of the culinary fashion, very hip and omnipresent but already fading away. 

What about the culinary trends that are not so visible just from the street view? Here comes the interesting field of Molecular Gastronomy. As one of the articles that I've read has nicely stated: it is a cross between science and cooking. It has already gained many fans studying it both in the labs and in the kitchens. Molecular gastronomy focuses on the physical processes and reactions that happen during preparation of food. Understanding them in greater depth allows the creation of incredible new dishes that sometimes sound and look like abstract art. 

I first encountered this part of gastronomy while watching TV at home. On one of the cooking channels there was a show called Marcel's Quantum Kitchen. Since I like all those shows with cooking competitions and challenges, this got me interested. Marcel Vigneron and his team had to organize some themed dinner parties sometimes for a tens of people but if that wasn’t hard enough, all the dishes that they made were a once in a lifetime experience, that nobody cooked before. His kitchen looked more like a chemistry lab than a restaurant prep room. Litters of liquid nitrogen were poured, meat would turned into tiny slices that were cooked, yet frozen at the same time – it was almost magic. Watermelon caviar, edible champagne foam and that’s just the start.




In Warsaw there is one restaurant that I can think of that serves dishes partially prepared using molecular gastronomy – Atelier Amaro. Unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to go there, but looking at pictures and reviews makes me want to try this type of cuisine even more.


If any of you would be interested in experimenting with molecular gastronomy, the internet is already full of recipes that are both for beginners and advanced cooks. You can also buy a “molecular cuisine starting kit” that contains the basic tools and chemicals to make those wonderful food creations.
 
Here are also some links to Amaro’s recipes. Although they are not exactly ‘molecular’ you can get the feel the chemistry and physics in them.


So what do you think about this food? Would you like to try eating or maybe preparing it sometime? Do you think that it will become more popular? Or maybe there is yet another food trend that you’d like to share with us?

Sources:
http://geekgirls.pl/2011/03/jadalna-piane-raz-poprosze/

Comments

Unknown said…
As far as food goes, I am old fashioned. While I enjoy modern fast food dishes, I also appreciate fresh ingredients and natural, traditional taste. I wasn't familiar with molecular cooking, and so I appreciate this blog post, but somehow I am reluctant to try.. maybe some day though ;-)

However giving it a second thought, one of the best burgers I ever tried was at a restaurant called the Big Burger, on Jeju Island in Korea. It was the most unusual dish I ever tried.

The burger looked like this:
http://www.jejuweekly.com/news/photo/201204/2570_4215_553.jpg

It's the size of a small pizza and.. it is made with regular burger ingredients, but wiith apple added. I have to admit.. it was unusual, but very tasty.
Unknown said…
I think that molecular food is very unhealthy and disgusting. I try to eat clean which means limited processed food, many fresh products and whole grains. I stay away from packaged food in which the ingredient list is long and contains ingredients that I cannot even pronounce. I am also afraid of genetically modified products. In my opinion molecular food is close to GMO and truly it is not food. It is a nice looking chemical creation so in my diet it is forbidden.
Unknown said…
It sounds a little bit like e-cigarettes. No one knows how molecular food would affect our bodies. I'd rather follow nutrition ideas of Japanese people from the Ryukyu Islands than molecular food. The same with GMO... I'm against, and I'm afraid of consequences of messing around with what we eat.
Anonymous said…
So what do you think about this food? Would you like to try eating or maybe preparing it sometime?

I would like to eat it first, but when I saw prices at Amaro's restaurant: "No, thank you.".

Do you think that it will become more popular?

After 26 years of molecular gastronomy in the world, it is still something new in Poland, so it must become more common because it can't be less common than now is.

Or maybe there is yet another food trend that you’d like to share with us?

I cook by myself and I don't watch cooking shows, so I don't follow any cooking trends. I recently have been learning Thai cuisine.
Julia Osiak said…
That's one impressive burger :D So you have to cut it almost like a cake to eat it? How many people can one burger feed? I'm intrigued :)
Julia Osiak said…
I get where you're coming from, there's way too much processed foods in our diets. Maybe if you don't like using all the chemicals that are usually associated with MG, you could try sous-vide? It's a method of preparing food, usually meat or fish, by cooking it in sealed plastic bags that are emerged in water at a fairly low and precisely set temperature for a very long time. No chemicals involved there :)
Molecular gastronomy, really ?? It sounds little encouraging. This name reminds me of a powdered food for comonauts. After reading the article is quite interesting. I heard about Atelier Amaro, but you have to wait for free table about one year - too long for me. I try to create something molecular in my kitchen. I think that it will be a good gastronomy experience and tasty food :)
MartaSB said…
I would like to try some (possibly healthy) molecular food but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I suppose it will not be very popular in Poland, but rather stay as something reserved only for a particular group of people (rich and/or interested in food trends).
PrzemekM said…
I had no idea that such a thing exists!

I think this is very interesting, but this start to be since rather than normal cooking with a hint of excitement about the taste.

Will it be more popular, i think yes like everything new
I am maybe a bit old fashioned but I am fan of traditional, simply prepared food with reasonable amount and proportions of nutrients. I simply find it tastier and I think it is easier for my body to digest it.
rf. said…
Basically 'preparing food' is mostly thermal work on the raw products. And that's a physical reaction. I don't mind other techniques for food processing, probably because at some point someone needed to discover, that while raw potatoes are really bad for you, boiled ones are quite tasty and nutritious. So, go kitchen scientists, go!
I'm not really convinced by this whole idea. I must admit I haven't really hard about it before, but know that I have... I don't like it. I am a person who enjoys good cuisine. I'm not saying I put much attention to how much a dish is healthy, I'm rather thinking about just enjoying good cuisine. That said I believe that in every culture we can find really good and interesting dishes. But turning it all into a kind of science and basically experimenting on people... that sounds wrong.
Unknown said…
I think that this cuisine will not become popular because it takes a lot of time. Recently a lot of fast food bars, mainly with kebabs, are being opened. But me, I really like Polish national cuisine.
Seisyll said…
Always when I hear term "Molecular Gastronomy" I immediately think about all the fast food stores, especially McDonalds. It's fun because in most cases you can't really tell if the meat is really the meat. But lets forget about that. When it comes to food I only care about two things. Taste and "will if make me sick?". Besides that I don't care about ingredients or how it is prepared. Certainly traditional cooking has its limits and it's great that people have come up with another way of preparing food. Well, the real opinion can only be made after I try it. Hmm... maybe it's worth a try...
Unknown said…
If it has some advantages like, it's helping to preserve nutrients inside of dishes or it has just better taste, i would say" Why not?". But if not, i would say "Why bother?"
I never tried it, so now I see it as something for cooks to make them feel almost like scientists :)
Julia Osiak said…
I had a chance to try those lyophilzed foods, fruits to be exact and they were really tasty. Please tell me if you had success in your own kitechen with molecular cooking
Julia Osiak said…
I'm glad that I could tell you about something new :)
Mateusz Frycie said…
I'm not a big fan of this topic. I enjoy eating in general, so for me food needs to look and taste like food.
Unknown said…
I've only heard about molecular gastronomy and don't really feel competent enough to present my opinion, but I think that it seems interesting in general. As long as it really makes a dish tastier and it's not just some overhyped trend, it's good that people try new things and find new ways to prepare food.
Unknown said…
I prefer 100% clean normal food. Molecular one seems for me very chemical and unhealthy and doesn't even look like natural.
Unknown said…
Well, it looks interesting for me, I would like to try it, however, definately I am more in classical food without all that things. I am not against science being involved in cooking process, but still I prefer just normal food without all those things.
Julia Osiak said…
But it's not about experimenting on people. The Ingredients that are used are safe to it. it will not poison you.
Unknown said…
http://podrozu-jemy.pl/krolowa-noma/

Here's an article about a dinner in the best restaurant in the world - Noma. It is really interesting as it lists all the courses, their photographs and a very precise description. They don't use much 'molecular kitchen' technique and their food is still amazing. I think that molecular cuisine is just something extravagant and I prefer eating more down-to-earth food.
Unknown said…
I don’t understand molecular gastronomy and I don’t want to try it. I prefer traditional ways in kitchen. For sure this will become some sort of fashion for few people but not for everyone.
Blogger said…
Did you know that you can create short urls with LinkShrink and make money for every click on your shortened links.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?