Skip to main content

[Week 12] Speaking foreign languages bothers me.



Language affects on our moral decisions. Such conclusion results from psychologist's research made by American and Spanish team. Thinking and speaking foreign language we react in emotional way.

A simple example- a person who is going to make a love confession, could think for a while and imagine would it be easier to say this words in mother language or in, for example, English. Would it be easier to say „kocham Cię” or „I love you”? According to american-spanish team poles would be definitely less stressed saying it in English. The team claims that language has a lot to do with emotions and morality.

Very common survey to see our choices connects with morality is, so called, trolley test. Participants of such test are shown two situations. In the first one on the platform they see very quickly riding trolley with five people inside. It is known that they cannot do anything and that the trolley will crash and the passengers would die. The only way to stop a car is to push a fat man on the tracks. Doing such thing by devoting one persons life- five others are saved.

Second scenario is also starting with a speeding cart. This time the only way to safe their life is to switch the crossover and change the trolley’s track on a one on which somebody is just walking. Again we have to decide if sacrifice somebody's life to safe another five, but the situation is a little different- in the first scenario we compare breaking killing prohibition with warrant of saving somebody's life- says professor Boaz Keysar, psychologist from Chicago University. People mostly decide not to push a man, because our morality tells us first of all that we cannot kill anyone.That scenario causes a strong emotional reaction -he adds. In the second scenario- a man walking on a track is walking there , but it isn't our fault. This is why it is easier to decide to switch the crossover rather than push a man- he explains.

So far, nobody has linked moral choices with thinking in native language or in foreign language. In multicultural societies or corporations this question is appearing as a crucial one. Would a person for whom English is second language, for example when that person is a member o jury, value situation in a different way , than somebody for whom English is a native language?.- asks professor Keysar.

His psychologist team from spanish Pompeu Fabry University in Barcelona, conducted study on 725 respondents. Half of them were Spanish and English was their second language , and the other half used the languages inversely. Each participant was familiar with scenarios about a trolleys. The language didn’t matter as far as choosing the scenario was concerned- 80 per cent chose switching the crossover in less emotional scenario. Differences appeared in a group where people were asked to think in foreign language- they more frequently choose the decision about pushing a man.

When we think in foreign languages, our morality becomes more utilitarian. We' re less afraid of a loss, we're easier willing the risk, we feel less emotionally related to environment- claims prof.Keysar. In his opinion it relates to processes of learning. First language we learn being children, from our family, in our house.These are times full of emotions , this is why our native language is strongly characterized by emotions. We learn foreign languages in less emotional situations – he explains.


  1. Are your experiences comparable to psychologist research?
  2. Did you notice that things which you'd like to say changes when you try to speak foreign language?
  3. Maybe you like (when you're nervous) or have to (at work?) use foreign language in some situations? Please write about it.

Comments

It's a complicated topic, I guess, so it's hard to answer the first question. I'm not sure. I only know that it's easier to express feelings in my native language, and the lack of vocabulary of foregin language makes me not able to express my feelings with 100% accuracy. That leads to the second question - in fact, I noticed it. And again, I think it depends on constant lack of vocabulary. I don't have any experience with using foreign language in stressful situations, unfortunately.
Kasia Kmieć said…
This is really interesting article!! Learning foreign languages is almost my hobby, I really like it. But I have never thought of speaking from the emotional point of view. Now when I think about it I discover that it is indeed easier to speak "strong" words in other language. Personally, I believe that it's because of the "language of our brain" (or that's what I like to call it) which basically means the language we use to describe our thoughts in our heads. Saying "Te amo", "I love you" etc. seems to be less real than in my mother language. The only exception is maybe the language we use towards the people who use it everyday.
I often use other languages when speaking, no matter if I'm nervous or not. For example, English is so popular in almost every country that it created new form of languages: like spanglish, polnglish etc.
Maria said…
Of course we can tell more in our first language because we simply know more words. Still, there's a question- do we put the same amount of emotions using a word which means the same in language which is out mother tongue and in foreign language?
The most important thing during speaking in foreign language are knowledge of vocabulary and quite good grammar with accent (when we’ll have them all everyone will understand us). When I must speak in english I’m usually switching my mind to that language as my “native language”, translating from polish to english taking too much time and makes trouble cause. I have only little trouble in grammar and that’s all.

Answering on the last question, I say only that I sometimes like to speaking and thinking in foreign language. It’s a good exercise and I’m improving my vocabulary, accent and grammar skills.
Sylwia said…
I noticed that sometimes it is easier to me say something in English and after I realize that I would never say it in Polish so easily and directly, but to me it’s only about lack of vocabulary or grammar. I like/try to keep my English simple to avoid mistakes and that is why often is more direct and less emotional. I can’t express fully in English, so it imitated the emotional impact of my words.
Unknown said…
Are your experiences comparable to psychologist research?
It is quite difficult to answer this question. I think my morality is same independently from language. Pushing a man is not a case. In fact I could probably do nothing and allow someone else to make this decision. However I would agree that words spoken in foreign language are less emotional, we do not respect them equally like the one spoken in our native language.
Did you notice that things which you'd like to say changes when you try to speak foreign language?
Yes, there is a difference in a way we speak or try to communicate something in foreign language. Perhaps because we find it more difficult. It is much easier to express our self in native language.
Maybe you like (when you're nervous) or have to (at work?) use foreign language in some situations? Please write about it.
It can be very challenging to express something that is very complicated in foreign language. I am sure that this might be very stressful, especially when this is very important for the business to communicate effectively and precise.
Unknown said…
1. Can you write quickly on computer keyboard? Which methods do you use?
I am very fast, but sometimes make mistakes
2. Do you know any specific types of keyboards?
I know only one its Dvorak keyboard.
3. How do you imagine the future of keyboards? Is there anything which could replace it?
it would be amazing to control the keyboard by mind ;)
alt_pl said…
Are your experiences comparable to psychologist research?
I never noticed that... Worth thinking to be honest.

Did you notice that things which you'd like to say changes when you try to speak foreign language?
I always try to change my mindset to language I use ( either it is polish or english) to speak clearly what is on my mind.

Maybe you like (when you're nervous) or have to (at work?) use foreign language in some situations? Please write about it.
Sometimes it is necessary, especially in IT, You do not use polish words only technical english.
Unknown said…
I work in an English speaking environment, but also with Polish people. We often speak English even outside of office and that is the language I prefer in general. I find it easier to express myself in that language, and I find that because many words that are directly translated as the same thing have a different feel to them, it is possible to receive completely different outcomes and feelings by saying the same thing in English compared to Polish.
I learned two languages when I was a kid. The first language I used was Italian, since I was born in Sicilly, however my mother tought me polish all the time - I just didn't use it untill I moved to Poland. which was when I was 5 or something. Maybe less. Anyway, I don't really know which language is my native language. To be honest though my favorite is english and is the language I enjoy most using.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?