Skip to main content

[Week 12] Secrets of computer keyboard.

Without computer keyboard communication of our era would be completely impossible. Therefore, computer keyboard deserves at least a short summary of its advantages and secrets.
First keyboard, similar to this which we know came into existence in 1951 – it was a part of UNIVAC. It was a separate device which was called Unityper. It was based on typing machine created by Remington company.

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/0f/25/db/z14361871Q.jpg
The most popular keys were : space , a key to move back and „E”. Thanks to that notice Microsoft drew up lots of ergonomic keyboards. One of them has space divided – its left site was also an additional moving back key. Why it was put in that specific place? Because for some reason people do not use left thumb to write. Even if they can write with all (nine) fingers.
Arrangement QWERTY has more efficient alternative. In year August Dvorak has patented keyboard arrangement which was competition for a classic QWERTY. Dvorak's arrangement , in spite of many improvements and better effectiveness confirmed in practice did not find it's way to the universal use. It was so because QWERTY had more time to spread. Work of american innovator went back to life thanks to computers which were able to switch the keyboard arrangement thanks to few commends. Both  Apple and   Microsoft have an option to choose Dvorak's keyboard arrangement.


Typing is a half-marathon. Fingers of a person who is using computer keyboard are making about 20 km distance, a day! Of course there data may differ for individual languages.

Are you complaining on your uncomfortable keyboard? Just look on a photo above. It is presenting a total nightmare which was created by IBM engineers for their customers.


In PCjr model from year 1984 all keys were white. They were described by little letters printed on metal casing. Unfortunately, the keyboard was so irritating that it caused market defeat of whole computer.

You don't have to remember keyboard shortcuts. Creators of website www.keyxl.com took great pains much and they gathered all shortcuts from all important operating systems and computer programs. In vast database we'll find shortcuts for a any web browser and , graphic programs like GIMP or Photoshop.

To write really quickly you have to learn a few principles. First of all you have to know which finger should be hit with which finger. Secondly, you have to type not looking a the keyboard but on the screen.

Fot. za http://www.szybkiepisanienaklawiaturze.pl/nauka.htm


If you want to write three signs a second there ate few advices:

Finger of your left hand should be above keys a, s and f, and the right hand above j,k,l and ':”. After hitting the rest of the keys a finger should go back to its first position. Thumbs work should be hitting space and alt.


For a good bye a news which maybe you would't like to know. According to number of research computer keyboard is a few times dirtier than a toilet seat. A list of repulsive residents of lots of keyboards is long. There are bacteria as well as fungal spores, yeast, pollens of plants, algae, protozoans. How did this all got there? Mostly from air and dust, but not only.


1. Can you write quickly on computer keyboard? Which methods do you use?

2. Do you know any specific types of keyboards?

3. How do you imagine the future of keyboards? Is there anything which could replace it?


Comments

I don't think I'm the master of typing. I remember that I learned a lot thanks to an application called "Mistrz Klawiatury". This app showed me some basic rules and taught me how to write with not many typos while looking on screen. I know few types of keyboards - standard, ergonomic, wireless, gaming and virtual. I'm a user of ergonomic one - and I think it's really comfortable. I think that the future is already here - systems which recognizes voice only need some improvements.
Kasia Kmieć said…
When it comes to just letters I can type very quickly without looking at the keyboard. However, different keyboards have different arrangement of other keys (numbers, command keys etc.) - so it's harder to work with different keyboard than mine.
Do I know any specific keyboards? I remember a flexible one or the one projected by little machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHhL26Esn7w
I think computer-related objects are constantly being improved. There's a tendency of them to be less spatial and more efficient. Maybe in the future we won't need any keyboard, maybe the only thing we may need will be our mind? Who knows..
Maria said…
Kamil: That's truth- the system which recognizes voice is in use- sometimes I use it my my phone to write a text massages. I do it when I'm driving a car or in other situations in which I cannot use my hands. But I don't think I might be using this system with my computer when both my hands are free...
I’m typing on keyboard quite fast, without looking on hands. About writing, I think that the techniques and swiftness forms during the typing and in my opinion the best way is to find out by himself the most comfortable writing technique.

What about unusual keyboards. I’ve seen and used laser-keyboard one day. This is an interesting solution for someone who hasn’t much place at home and want to have quiet keyboard. The one weakness is that this keyboard must have a perfect smooth surface.

I think that in the nearest future the people will abandon the “mechanical/physical” keyboards and is highly possibility in that the laser-keyboards or touch-keyboard (like a tablet/smartphone) will replace them. The microphone will be a good solution too, but only at home cause who wants to speak louder while for example writing every post on this blog. This kind of typing would be good in menu navigation.
Unknown said…
I'm typing quite fast, but I'm typing in a different way as presented. I think the optimal way is the way a person is already good at.
Sylwia said…
I don't type fast and unfortunately I still make lots of mistakes.
I think, one day keyboards will be replace by voice control and children won't type their school homework anymore, but dictate it to computer etc. I'm not sure if it's good, but it should be faster, which make it more efficient.
Unknown said…
1. Can you write quickly on computer keyboard? Which methods do you use?
I do not type slowly but I am far from typing fast. I often have to look at keyboard while typing. I do not do it at all the time. Most of the time I look at keyboard while relocating my fingers to original position.
2. Do you know any specific types of keyboards?
I use UK keyboard type, which is little different from our polish keyboards. The main difference is that characters like $ or # have different location.
3. How do you imagine the future of keyboards? Is there anything which could replace it?
I think that voice and video controlling could be the replacement of keyboard in the future. There are some advance project in production already.
Tomek said…
I write fairly quickly on keyboards. I use two different models constantly which makes it more difficult. Chiclet keyboards are my favourite. I also prefer shallow keys which move evenly down when pressed. I think traditional keyboards might one day be completely replaced by softare versions on touchscreens. There is an interesting technology being developed that may make the transition easier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNnGpIEa3AU. Physical devices aren't as versatile, they can't adject to different people. Software keyboards can.
alt_pl said…
1. Can you write quickly on computer keyboard? Which methods do you use?
I never learned any methods it came with practice, especially gaming because you learn by heart that you need to act quickly to type something. Mistakes happen but they must be made in hurry in my case.
2. Do you know any specific types of keyboards?
I know differences between AZERTY and EU-standard QWERTY. I had UK-QWERTY keyboard in my previous laptop. I have seen as well Japanese and Russian keyboard.
3. How do you imagine the future of keyboards? Is there anything which could replace it?
Only perfect voice to text processing.
Maria said…
Patryk has brought an interesting subject up – laser keyboards.
This one looks quite affordable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wbOlWa-gk
I'm not sure if this solution would be comfortable to drive from the use traditional keyboards. I can't imagine not hitting the keys- on the other hand I got used to touch pads so maybe laser keyboards will spread.
Thank you Tomsk I've never seen Tactus solution before- it looks comfortable.
Unknown said…
1. Can you write quickly on computer keyboard? Which methods do you use?
Im not a really fast writer. I think its because I have never worked at the office.
I dont use any method..
2. Do you know any specific types of keyboards?
I dont know many, Im not tech guy. AWERTY and QWERTY?
3. How do you imagine the future of keyboards? Is there anything which could replace it?
I like Macbooks keyboards but everythink can be improved.
I liked the solution shown in movie Her (2014) but nobody wants to say at loud anything
that he writes. Only thing that left is telepahy.
Unknown said…
The laser keyboard is very uncomfortable, i tested it, believe me. In PJWSTK on "UKO" teach us about the types of keyboards, but i don't remember anything, only DVORAK, QWERTY, QWERTZ,. Yes i know shame on me:). I can type very quickly. I use my own method :D but for me it is very fast and comfortable

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?