Skip to main content

[Week 12] Word lens

Google bought the company Word Lens, an impressive application that translates languages in real-time using a smartphone the iPhone and Android built-in camera .

Back to 2010, a company called Quest Visual realesed a small application called Word Lens. Hardly seemed possible, but the application translates different languages in real-time using only a smartphone camera. It is very comfortable for anybody who travels. In such situations using Word Lens makes the people "understandable" by  simply holding the phone equipped with the application and the camera which instantly translates from one language into the second one. Currently, users can translate between English, Portuguese , German, Italian , French, Russian and Spanish.
It is easy to understand why Google does not want to own it in the range of its products- its declared goal is to make all information in the world search in any language - and Google Translate generally doing quite well, at least on the website. The application itself is free to download from the App Store for both the iPhone and iPad and this finical aspect is the best recommendation for all. Translations were available via in- app purchase, but now they are free. It is also available on Google Play Store for Android .
It is not known how long the Word Lens stays in stock so I recommend you to pick them up as soon as possible, especially if you travel around the world.

Have you had a situation when it was used - or should have applied - Word Lens ?

Comments

I'm not really surprised that Google bought them, it's a smart move after all. In my opinion this app gives you some kind of comfort while travelling abroad. But is it neccessary? I think that the concept of translating in real-time is more interesting than current usage. Of course it's useful - I remember a few situations when I had to type whole announcement, signs on the roads or menus into translator but it was just for my convenience.
Sylwia said…
I haven’t used that app, but I don’t believe that translations are accurate. We all know how today’s translators work. Let’s take for example Google translator. It works, usually we can understand the text, but I wouldn’t call it accurate. I've tried a few others and it’s same or even worst.
When you asked me if it’s useful while traveling, I think some people would love it, but I don’t feel a need to have such equipment. I remember a few situations from my travels, in which communicating was hard, but we succeeded. Such memories are unique and unforgettable.
Kasia Kmieć said…
I've heard about it already, but I've never used it. To be honest, I've forgot about it. I am learning few languages so it would be a great way for improving the learning. And of course it's great way for a personal translator during traveling! I'm moving to Denmark this year and my Danish is at very basic level. But still, I'd rather learn the language than "cheat" with an app :)
Unknown said…
Google love innovative ideas and this particular have capabilities to get widely used by travelers all over the world. I have to say that i heard about this application before, however I did not remember the name. I am downloading this app on my android phone right now. Let me see if it works as good as it is described. Ups i got some 976 error during installation. I guess I wont be able to review this application, however based from it comments no Google Play Store it works quite well.

Have you had a situation when it was used - or should have applied - Word Lens ?
I have never used it before, but I am sure it would be a very convenient to have it at some situations, especially while traveling.
Unknown said…
I use that application and it is indeed awesome. It is limited to just a few languages right now, but I believe it will get better with time. Translating from Russian to English there is impressive though!
Google knows which products will can really be useful and change the life of people. This app is surely one of the smartest I know. I'm very happy you present it on this course, because I did not hear about it! I'll make sure to install it on my device as it's ought to come in handy, especially when you travel to new places.
Unknown said…
I haven't heard about this app. I download it right now, I wish that I did not know about it few months ago. Maybe that helped me when i was in Venezuela. Few times lost my way because i couldn't read road signs. awful. Thanks . I Will test it this winter in dakhla

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?