Skip to main content

Week 3: The North America Trip: Part 3 - Canada, British Columbia

My experiences with North America wouldn’t be complete without a very unique place that I believe is extremely underrated. From my perspective, the province of Canada housing the most beautiful city in North America - Vancouver. 



When most people think of North America, they imagine the USA. When people think of Canada, they imagine cold weather, polar bears, igloos, famous Canadian mammals and ice hockey.
In reality, however, a trip through Canada in one of the most enriching experiences you might take and one of the best opportunities to get very close with thousands of kilometers of pure nature. 



The definition of perfect natural landscapes for me is British Columbia. The province’s capital city - Vancouver is a very eco-friendly city with plenty of nature, a place where you can go skiing and scuba diving in the ocean on the same day. From downtown Vancouver you can get to high mountains within 30 minutes, waterfront in 5 minutes on foot and pristine natural forests and lakes within a 10 minute drive, or even less if you count Stanley Park - which is best defined as a forest in the middle of the city.
The general feeling when walking through Vancouver is that the place is surrounded by hundreds of miles of nature, filled with polite people and occasionally bears.



One of the main stereotypes about Canadians is that they are very kind and polite - this seems to be factually true. The hospitality that can be felt there is unmatched. But what can you expect from people living in a country with the strongest middle class, great social help system, free, great health care and a mountain and ocean view at the same time? 



Well, Canadians complain about weather. Weather in British Columbia is.. similar to Polish weather, but a little warmer. Surprisingly it’s true for almost all Canadians, since they live close to the USA border - that’s where all big Canadian cities are located. Vancouver is more rainy, however. That is not a problem for Canadians, who seem to not care much about bad weather. It’s not a rare view to see people wearing shorts and t-shirts during a rainy winter day.



Canadians love their hockey. In fact they are so passionate about it, that when their team once lost the cup, Vancouver suffered from very serious, large scale riots. This was especially shocking considering how calm and nice Canadians are known to be.






Canada is a beautiful country full of variety, and I believe British Columbia is its most beautiful province, due to its pristine nature, some of the most amazing mountains and lakes and hundreds of miles of forests. From Vancouver you can take a plane and landing in the harbor of Victoria, which is a city of beautiful gardens and European-style architecture.


If you wish to go to the US, you can take a bus, car or.. ferry and just within 2 or 3 hours you’ll be in Seattle.



Personally, I think Canada is a very underrated place. It should be on top of bucket lists especially for people who appreciate nature, nice mountains or just relaxing by one of thousands of lakes (most of world’s lakes are located in Canada).







Of course just as with any other place on earth, there are also some drawbacks. With British Columbia, the biggest one is the weather. The temperatures are pretty much comparable to our Polish temperatures, but the main difference comes from the amount of rainfall. Most days are rather gloomy and rainy - basically that’s the definition of fall and spring on Canadian west coast.
However, there are beautiful summer days when it’s easy to feel that being amongst the magnificent mountain ranges, the pacific ocean and almost unlimited amounts of nature surrounding you, that’s the place to be.

Due to popular opinions that Canada seems to be “like the US, just colder and more boring”, have you also shared that opinion? Or maybe you always wanted to visit? Does it sound like a place for you? If yes (or no), why?

I think pictures are not great enough at showing the true feeling of that place. Here's a nice video showing various places of that city, if you're interested I really recommend you to watch it:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIAYPopVBXM


Sources: Own photos and experiences, 2 youtube videos sourced in the article.


Comments

Maria said…
I'd never share the opinion that Canada seems to be colder and more boring US- it's simply different. Nevertheless, I also have in my mind lots of stereotypes about that country, most of them connected with being boring. I'd love to visit all those places about which you've written, because I love nature. What brought my attention watching the video about a bear was an amount of people watching the situation. When I imagine similar accident in the center of Warsaw I see much bigger crowd. That made me check the amount of people in whole Canada and it appeared that on that vast surface there are 3.6 millions less people than in Poland. That makes me feel that it could be a place for me , because I don't like crowded places and, as I wrote, I love nature. On the other hand, I love to travel a lot and in Canada it seems to be a big problem. I don't know the travel expenses, but the distances between different places scares me. Maybe this is why those stereotypes about being boring appeared.
Unknown said…
In my opinion Canada is more wildest than the U.S.I found the information that about 30% of the population are Chinese in Vancouver ,over 40% i classified as European Canadian. After reading this article I am closer to go to the trip to Canada, and i'm pretty sure if i go i will experience some kind of adventure there (for. example fishing adventure).
Unknown said…
Maria - yes, it's amazing that Canada being the 2nd biggest country in the world has smaller total population than Poland. Bears visiting Vancouver is a quite rare sight, but not unusual for Canadians - most in British Columbia live further from downtown where it's totally usual to encounter brown bears walking around the streets and eating trash. I think British Columbia is an amazing place for its nature - I'm yet to find areas as pure and at the same time civilized. I think they've got it right for being a "green" province.

Adrian - yes, a huge part of Vancouver's population are Chinese - there's also a huge Chinese district. The reason is, Vancouver is one of the main North American harbor for Asian goods. Also, in the past people from China used to build the inter-Canadian railroad and their whole families moved to West Canada because it's the closest place from Asia and very convenient to get to by ships as well.

Finishing there is really cool because of abundance of lakes, rivers and.. fish. Just watch out for bears ;-) One day my friend and I decided to travel about 200km from Vancouver - absolutely pure regions with no bigger civilization nearby. It was already getting dark and it was raining and the closest city was extremely far from us and we went there by bus, there were no buses back. We went to sleep by a river. It was also September, so it's the time of the year where fish try to swim upstream and most of them die laying around the shore - really a LOT of them.
It didn't bother us at night, but we woke up next to a family of bears "fishing" just about 2-3 meters from us, and they totally didn't care about our presence. We just slooowly got up and proceeded to walk away trying not to gain their attention. It was a really nice experience, also proving that bears are usually peaceful, but anyway it's something to be aware of that things like that happen there frequently and bears might not always be in great mood occupied by their fishing.
The first thing which reminds me this country are French trappers, which they have exploring those lands few centuries ago and I don't have in mind cold, wilderness grounds but dense forests overgrowing valleys and surrounding those lakes (cold and rocky tundra is far away on the northern side of the Canada which takes less space in this country). Besides, Canada have never get for me comparison to USA, I prefer to stay in conviction that country is still kind of Great Britain’s colony, although in this moment it is only a part of British Commonwealth. Do I want to visit this land? Certainly, because I prefer traveling to lands out of crowded world’s regions and watching nature alone.
Kasia Kmieć said…
I don’t think that Canada is that underrated as you describe. Most of the things that are in the article people already know and admire. Every country has its stereotypes and I believe that we are aware of that fact and expect more than just an image of believes. As for the Canada’s stereotypes I love the jokes about their politeness. I’d be very excited to travel there, visit the urban area and wild parts with the beautiful lakes.
Kasia Kmieć said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kasia Kmieć said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kasia Kmieć said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kasia Kmieć said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kasia Kmieć said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Actually, I had similar opinion about Canada, maybe not boring but definitely colder. For European people Canada is not popular like USA. Rarely I heard something about Canada in TV or in some article, but I heard that American people think that in Poland polar bear walking around. It’s not surprising that so little is known about distant countries. I didn’t know that there’s so green. In your photos I see everywhere forests, trees and plants. Amazing. I love nature and I think that it’s the best place for me from your all trip. Only much rain could be a problem. Adrian I often see adventure fishing in natural channels. If you experience this adventure I wait for the pictures.
Dalvia said…
I would love to visit Canada. And if we'll have some money left after our trip trough USA, we'll definitely go there. I'll visit my family, finally! :)
I heard so many great things about that country, but here I even see it :) I'll definitely visit it, maybe even work there for a while. I would just love to learn about their culture, live everyday live like them. But that's a dream I have about almost every single country, so.... maybe this one will actually work :)
Thank you for a beautiful presentation! I am jelous about all your travelling experience!
Unknown said…
Due to popular opinions that Canada seems to be “like the US, just colder and more boring”, have you also shared that opinion?
Canada have it's own style and look. I dont think that Canada is boring in first place. I have a friend from Ontario and she always says that Canada is a great place to live. The climate is different from United State but there are pros and cons to it. Different does not mean wors.
Or maybe you always wanted to visit?
Yes I always wanted to visit Canada. I even got an invitation from two mates in different location (Ontario and Vancouver), but i never found spare time to do it.
Does it sound like a place for you?
Canada have many faces. It can be a nice and quiet place or it can be very crowded place like Ontario or Vancouver. Everyone can find something for themself. However if you like to live in Ontario or Quebec it might be useful to speak in some sort of French language (Broken French). This is how my friend spoke anyway.

Anonymous said…
For me, Canada is a great hockey team, forests and bears :D. Oh, and maple syrup, which I love.
As already mentioned Canada is not popular country for people from Europe. Although your pictures are very encouraging. I know that Canada is the most successful country in men's hockey. They have won eight times Olimpiade and once the World Cup and in other tournaments have always been at the forefront.

Elizabeth II is the Queen of Canada.
Canada is a place I really would like to visit. I heard a lot of good things about the country as a whole and I would really like to see them for myself. Also I would really like to see if all the stereotypes about Canadian people are true. Personally I know one Canadian person who mostly falls into the stereotype, but also he lives here, in Poland. Anyways, this is a place I want to visit for many things, the people, the cities and the greens. Based only on what I heard and read about his country I believe it is actually a “better” version of the U.S. Hopefully in the future I will be able to confirm this theory.
Unknown said…
Kamil - I'm glad I could present the nature pretty well. Yes, especially the west coast of Canada is like this - mainly British Columbia and Alberta. Very green and pure.

Dalvia - thank you for your nice comment. Yes, I would also like to live there longer and try working there. It's indeed a perfect place for me, minus the amounts of rain ;-)

Wikor - I haven't shared that opinion. It's something I heard a lot after listening to peoples' opinions when I told them I went there. Ontario is pretty much crowded with Toronto being like "The NYC of Canada", but Vancouver is not that crowded. To me it has a perfect balance between being a city and still having that feel of nature all around. Also, they mainly speak English there ;-)

Czarnolecki - Canada is much more than the popular stereotypes though ;-) It's a really great place to visit and the feel of that place is something that should be experienced, I believe. Personally, British Columbia was my favorite place in North America.

Sergio - I believe that for so many Canadians the stereotypes are correct - especially about their politeness. It's a great place to go, I believe you won't be disappointed.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?