Skip to main content

Week 3: The North America Trip: Part 1 - Hawaii

This week I would like to talk about something that many people have already done, or plan to do in the future. I mean travelling to the United States of America. I would like to mention that from my own perspective presenting my own experiences, which for many people will be different than theirs.




I think that for most people taking a trip to The United States of America in most cases means going to see one of the major cities in the Mainland - whether it’s New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco or Miami (or Chicago or Boston for many Polish people), I believe a truly unique and nice way to first experience that country is by going to Hawaii. When initially planning my trip I wasn’t sure why more people don’t do that, and as it sounded like a perfect idea to me. I am very glad I had an opportunity to stay there for a longer while and would like to share some of my experiences.







For many people Hawaii is a natural paradise, with palm trees, empty beaches with white sand,  beautiful sunsets, surfing and nature. At the same time it’s a territory of the United States of America with all benefits that come with it - such as easy access to all kinds of products, cheap electronics and plenty of good and unhealthy foods. Speaking of food, however, fortunately it’s also possible to enjoy traditional Hawaiian food which makes Hawaiians some of the healthiest people in America. The diet consists of fried meat, but also lots of fresh fruits in all forms - especially pineapples, coconuts, papayas and guava.





Everything they say about the landscapes of Hawaii is true - the place looks good in every detail at least as good as they show in the pictures. Going there you’ll find out there’s much more than just sunny beaches. Honolulu is a major American city, even though it houses the world famous Waikiki beach and many parks filled with tropical flora. Each island contains mountains made up from volcanoes, one of the most popular is Mauna Kea, which is also the tallest mountain in the world counting from the bottom of the ocean. There are jungles all over the centers of the islands - if you’ve watched Jurassic Park you’ll understand what I mean - it was filmed in Hawaii. There are jungles, but there are no dangerous animals living in Hawaii - it is one of the most remote areas on earth if it comes to the distance from any major continent - it’s between North America, Asia and Australia.





Hiking volcanoes, walking through a jungle or suntanning or sleeping on a beach all sound very nice, so is perfect weather all year along and living in a fully civilized but remote location.. but Hawaii is not only about nice views. The people of Hawaii are extremely nice and relaxed.. and ALWAYS late. Hawaii will teach you to be late, everyone will tell you that there’s no schedule, there’s famous “Hawaii time”. Which means the buses are usually late by more than an hour and they drive extremely slow. Nothing opens up on time and nobody starts work on time. It’s part of the culture. The most important trait for Hawaiians is being relaxed and not getting concerned by unimportant issues.







If you’re bored, you can always go to another island, there are many of them and each is different. Oahu, which in Hawaiian means “the gathering point” is the “capital” island, with the State Capital - Honolulu. The North Shore of that island is also the most popular surfing spot with some of the most outstanding waves in the world. 



The Big Island is the biggest island of the archipelago with the aforementioned Mauna Kea mountain which also houses a major space observatory way above the clouds.
Maui is popular amongst American tourists, while Kauai is an extremely beautiful and natural island with not many people around at all - a perfect tropical getaway.

Hawaii is not only about happiness and joy though - living anywhere, even a tropical paradise can get boring. Staying on a small island, having seen everything, with a perspective that the nearest major land is thousands of kilometers from you and you are pretty much in the middle of the Pacific Ocean can get boring, trust me. Even waking up to perfect weather every day,  all year round, with the ocean breeze and a fresh fruit juice on a balcony in such circumstances still can get boring.
There’s nowhere to go, the weather is exactly the same and there’s not much happening except of new tourists coming and going, while “the locals” are complaining that it affects the “Aloha spirit” and things are not like they used to be.




However, it’s a very beautiful and interesting place to visit for holidays, an amazing place in the US which is beautiful and from my experience home to some of the nicest and definitely the most positive people in North America, but also for some people a great idea to take some rest from the rest of the world in a remote paradise island with all benefits of being part of The USA.







What do you think about Hawaii? What’s the source of the information you have about that place, mostly movies and stereotypes?
Finally, would you like to go? Does it sound like a good way to experience America? If yes, why haven’t you? Just buy the tickets and enjoy the adventure, it might be the best one you’ll ever have, which is the case with many people going to “The Islands”.




Sources: Own photos and experiences



Comments

Maria said…
That was a great article to read, waiting for the summer to come. All the stereotypes I heard about Hawaii are included in there - the paradise Islands, very lazy and happy people, beautiful beaches and forests. I'd love to go there some day, but I'm not a kind of traveller who can stay on the beach for longer than few hours. I imagine that lazy feeling but, as it was written in the article, there are so many tourists that it can be not only boring but also exhausting to stay there longer. I don't know if visiting Hawaii is a good way to experience America - is vising Poland is a good way to experience Europe? It depends what experiences are you searching for. I'd rather visit New York in U.S.A. As far as visiting natural surroundings is concerned, I'd choose some places where there's less tourists. There are still some of them in Europe, so I'd rather explore Georgia and go there by car, than buy a ticket to Hawaii.
Unknown said…
Maria, I think Hawaii is a little different than that though. There are areas for tourists, such as Waikiki on Oahu or Maui for American tourists, but most of Hawaii is pretty much empty - which makes traveling in Hawaii so exciting. It's not a crowded place at all and it feels like America meets some of the nicest and definitely safest islands. It's a state of America just like any other, and not necessarily more "touristy" than California or New York City.

I agree it's a different experience than the rest of the US though. More sunny and relaxed, probably the most unique state of the US ;-)
The Hawaii are the beautiful post volcanic archipelago and with pleasure I would like to visit this part of the World. Because I doesn’t prefer sit in the one place I probably would to travel around this islands, observe flora and fauna and studied native culture with the meals. On this touring I can not miss the O’ahu island, where we can visit the wreck of the battleship USS Arizona “Arizona Memorial” in Pearl Harbor bay.
My first associations relating to Hawaii is: sun, beach, freedom, ocean, surfing, Honolulu, USA. After reading this text, I opened Wikipedia and started to read more about Hawaii. One information really shocked me. Live there most Asians – almost 40%. They are everywhere. I think the slow life as Hawaii is normal for countries with hot climate. If I had the time and money I want to go to any place on the earth. After seeing your photos, in the top ten would include definitely Hawaii. I have to spend a few years in USA to get to know this country. In my opinion America is such a large country that in every state and place people live differently.
Dalvia said…
Oh my... me and my husband are planning to go for few months to US, but we never talked about going to Hawaii. We have to go there, now, experience the hawaiien time. My husband is ALWAYS late, he would be in a perfect paradise there, ha ha ha. Maybe I would learn to live with it, I always have to be on time, and it frustrates me, when anyone else is late (that's why my husband is always on time, when it considers me).
Anyway, this truly sounds perfect, but for a moment. I am sure, that I would get bored quickly, as you did. I love when lots is happening. So this is it: Hawaii for 2 weeks maximum. Thanks for the tip :)
Kasia Kmieć said…
Reading this article made me want to dance the hula near the ocean already :) I wouldn’t live there though. As a place to relax it would be a great choice but I need to stay occupied with something. As it comes to Hawaii it reminds me of an South Park’s episode. It was mocking the tourists which were considered native and real natives were the staff. It shows emphatically what people forgets – the true nature of Hawaii. The image of the island is mostly created by the tourists and attractions for them. You can watch the episode here: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s16e11-going-native
Unknown said…
I agree with You that most people would go mainly to cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Chicago or Boston. I would also add Washington, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, perhaps North and South Carolina. Those are places that we would probably like to visit. You would probably agree that while going to United State you would like to see Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Golden Gate Bridge, Rockefeller Center. United States have many interesting places for tourist to see.

Hawaii have its own specific climat. Beautiful place where people tend to go to rest and spend free time. People there are very friendly and open. Like you said most of information we have are taken from movies. Not everyone had pleasure to visit this place on their own. However friend of mine travel there once and he loved it.

I think everyone would like to go to this place :). Yes its a great way to experience America and. Why ? Because it is so freaking cool :).
Anonymous said…
Recently my friends had a honeymoon in Hawaii :). After all, they invited me to try a few dishes. Maybe you know something like Malasada? This resembles a donut, but it’s shaped like a ball and does not have a hole. It is sprinkled with different types of sugar. Very yummy :).
There were a few dishes, but I do not remember their names. One of them was similar to Ramen. Soup with egg, meat and local vegetables (you can buy them at Galeria Mokotów ;P). The specific taste but also recommend :).

But the kitchen is just a small fraction of beautiful Hawaii :)
Unknown said…
Great article, thanks it helps me to make a decision, my next trip destination is Maui :). Amazing beaches, good weather condition for kite. Yeah I think its brilliant Idea. I've been 4 months on Philippines on Bantayan Island ,from this moment I fell in love with small islands. I ate only fruits and seafood, sometimes other stuff which i can buy on local market. I live in small bambo house near the sea and surf surf and surf :). Next stop in Maui.
“A trip to Hawaii” is somewhat a concept, like a joke you say when you wish you could take a nice, long vacation. At least between my friends it is. Nevertheless it's nice to know that it is not very different from the dream-paradise version I always had about the place. I surely would like to visit, especially after reading your presentation, but I am not sure when I'll get around doing it. America is a very big place with many different regions and therefore culture and although I am not very keen on many of them. Hawaii is a place that I most certainly wish to visit someday.
Unknown said…
Patryk - Indeed a visit to Pearl Harbor is a very memorable one. It's very interesting especially due to the fact that most visitors are Japanese! Oh the irony.

Kamil - I'm glad I contributed to you googling more information about Hawaii. Indeed it's a very interesting place that goes beyond the stereotypes. I also agree that each state in the US is different, while Hawaii is probably the most unique.

Dalvia - I'm glad I made you consider going to Hawaii. I think that place would be perfect for your husband. I am always late, and I know it was perfect for me ;-)
Being late for classes 45 minutes? I said "I'm sorry for being late", the professor responded: "don't apologize for being late here, it's Hawaii and everything works on Hawaiian time here". That's very true. It's not unusual for buses to be over an hour late and due to that there's no proper schedule on bus stops. Perfect for people who are always late ;-)
Unknown said…
Kasia - While there are a lot of tourists there, I believe that only certain parts of those islands are "touristy" - made for the tourists. Due to the fact that tourists usually don't go far from their hotels and certainly don't travel other islands much most of Hawaii is still very pure. Even most hiking trails are only visited by the "locals". The point is that it's hard to define "locals", because most of them are Americans who were fed up with their lives and moved from other US states, or moved for the sun. Or Asian people who immigrated dozens years ago, even before the first world war mostly as "cheap labor force" for fruit farms. That's why Hawaii consists almost 40% of Asian people. During Pearl harbor contrary to what the movies show, it was mainly the Japanese shooting the Japanese Hawaiians or Korean Hawaiians, or Filipino Hawaiians.

Czarnolecki - it sounds very nice, but I believe Malasada is not typically Hawaiian (although they eat it there too, but it was brought there by the Portuguese).
One of the most popular Hawaiian dishes is Loco Moco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco_moco
And also kalua dishes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalua_pork

Adrian - I'm glad I helped you with your great decision ;-)

Sergio - you should visit as soon as possible. The volcanoes are still active ;-)


Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?