Skip to main content

week 12: Martin Scorsese promotes the Polish cinema


The Polish cinema is in the phase of its renaissance. There are many Polish movies made these days, which are of „Hollywood quality”: interesting, up-to date and well-told stories, with terrific performances of actors. Good examples of such movies would be: “Ida” directed by Paweł Pawlikowski, „Papusza” by Krzysztof and Joanna Krauze or „Płynące wieżowce” by Tomasz Wasilewski, to name a few.

However, abroad the Polish cinema has been appreciated for a long time. Martin Scorsese, an outstanding movie director, is one of its fans. Below you can read his opinions. 


[photo from: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhhcuvBZ5hjUGXam2y-aGSa29nH9KpKi3jcHeZYaYuVNQ4GB-RbOC1cCuosrt0WqrBXS49kPcIsKZ1QUzzYAj64ZNHk4B9IXTAbzEgAGf4wir8292db8n0fsrmlnY6FOF0S4vHW3vXWxZc/s1600/600full-martin-scorsese+%281%29.jpg]


„Polish cinema has showed me a good way of telling stories, which existence I had not anticipated. I must admit, it was quite a shock to me. I have noticed that whenever I want to explain something to my actors or cinematographic, I show them Polish movies from the 50ties. I have often presented Wajda movies to various producers in Hollywood, and they couldn’t believe their eyes, because they had not seen something like that before.”

His delight isn’t superficial. He has started to promote Polish cinematography in USA and Canada. He has established a program "Martin Scorsese Presents: Masterpieces of Polish Cinema". Thanks to the program international audience will have an opportunity to see 21 digital renovated Polish masterpieces. Among them there are movies like „Ashes and Diamonts” by Andrzej Wajda, „Salto” by Tadeusz Konwiski, „A short film about killing” by Krzysztof Kieśliwoski and „Crusaders” by Aleksandra Ford. 


[photo from: http://1.fwcdn.pl/po/11/57/1157/6936918.3.jpg]

  
Screenings of the movies will start in February 2013. The inauguration show will take place in the prestigious Film Society of Lincoln Center in New York. Then the movies will be presented in over 30 cinemas in USA and Canada. The tour will be organized by “The Film Foundation Martin Scorsese”, which is engaged in film education and promoting of history of cinema. It is worth pointing out that many outstanding Hollywood actors cooperate with the foundation. 

Martin Scorsese has been honored with a title of doctor honoraris caus of Łodź Film School for the promotion of the Polish cinematography. When receiving the title he said:

„During my studies, I had an amazing teacher, who really believed in me and was a great source of my inspiration. One day he made a terribly long exam with regards to our sensitivity. We were to draw a frame with our emotions concerning a particular film. I chose „Ashes and Diamonts’ by Andrew Wajda. In Poland you have a fantastic national cinematography: Munk, Has, Polański, Kieślowski, Skolimowski. Thank you.”

Many people think that the Polish cinema is weak and it will never change. I absolutely disagree. Some of the cinematography masterpieces were and still are made in Poland. We have great directors, cinematographers and actors. We should be proud of these achievements and promote our cinema, as Martin Scorsese. 

Here is film list:


What do you think about the Polish cinema?
Have you ever watched Martin Scorsese movies? If yes, what do you think about it?
What is your view about his program? Is it a good idea?


 

Comments

I think, the polish cinematography would be much better. In Poland are many very good actors, but todays directors can’t use them potential and skills, we could take e.g. “The battle of Warsaw 1920”. Idea for movie was right, but this is all. Despite momentum, it looks common although it was directed by famous director Jerzy Hoffman. Unfortunately on the low level are choreography and extra’s selections, usually in historical scenes in which are taken reconstruction groups with low experience in acting, so they look like dummies in movies. And what about topics which are taken to workshops by directors and scriptwriter? There are usually common and repeated comedies and occasionally appears excellent movie worth to look.
I believe in the future polish cinematography have to change for better but probably film-makers will have to require a little help from abroad (like good film company from USA which will lead polish directors to better future in movies).
elos said…
I like the Polish cinema. I keep my finger crossed for it. I fully agree that we have a lot very talented directors, actors etc. I think that we do too many movies about our history. Of course this is kind of way to explain our history for other nations but In my opinion there is too many movies telling the same story in different way, story about our history. I like polish comedies. The best modern polish movie in my opinion is Sęp, let they send the scenario to mentioned in other this week post Warner Bros. For sure they will make a big hit. I don’t know much Martin Scorsese`s creativeness (probably his movies are too clever for me) so I can’t tell something interesting about it, but I think his program is very interesting and for sure will help the Polish cinema. What I know for sure he is great and all around the world known movie director and if somebody like he wants to promote our culture, our movies, actors, directors we can only be happy because of it.
Natalia said…
There are two sides of the polish cinema one of them makes me proud the other unfortunely the opposite. In the first category we have Wajdas films and in second every move with Karolak for example ;) . It is sad that Martin Scorsese can only promote films which are ~30 years old, newer are in most cases parody of themselfs and completly waste of money. I haven't watched any of his movies.
Tomek said…
Have you seen this? It was pretty popular a few years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY0V65YWEIA I saw it when working at a post-production company in Warsaw. Looking at the website you provided instantly reminded me of this. I guess I can’t see the beauty in our cinema. There are some memorable movies like Faraon but I wouldn’t like to watch them again, they’re too boring for me. Of course, the new ones like “Wyjazd Integracyjny” are way worse.
I used to go to the cinema to see polish moves a lot. But for lat couple of years I just can’t remember any good polish move. I’m a big fan of historical moves and in this part polish moves go from bad to worse. I understand that we can’t spend such amount f money for special effects that they spend in Hollywood but our moves are just so dumb and boring that your need of getting out of the cinema grows every minute. Maybe that’s because he view our part in history as to be nothing but good and richest(but that is a topic for another conversation).

It doesn’t mean that there are n good polish moves in last few years. I liked “Pokłosie” by Pasikowski or “Vinci” by Juliusz Machulski. But those are only exceptions. Fewer and fewer every year.

But I wish that our moves were better, because I think that there is great potential here in Poland to make good moves. We used to make good moves in the old times. We made comedies that made us laugh, but not form some idiotic jokes that you can see in “Job” or “Kac Wawa” but some sophisticated sense of humor. I know that those comedies made by Bareja used to point the dumb aspects of life in rightly past era, but as we all see in our daily life there are many aspects to laugh about nowadays as well. I hope that Martin Scorsese will help us find that lost potential and I’m really looking forward to it.

As for Martin Scorsese’s films I can’t say that I’m some big fan of his work, but I liked some of his films like “Infiltration” and “Aviator” for example.
Unknown said…
I have kind of mixed feeling about polish movies. On the one hand we have some great movies made few years ago, i am talking about 70s-90s. On the other hand we have some great peace of sh** called polish romantic comedies or staff like "Kac Wawa". I am not really into the topic of polish movies, os i have never seen any Martin Scorsese movie. To be honest i don't know who he is... I am more into old, classic american horror movies. This program sounds good and it might help polish movies.
lukasz-anwajler said…
First of all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70eU840lc38 (this is because I accidentally deleted my comment on this article).

Polish cinema is as every other cinema - it has bad movies and it has diamonds. I don't think that we should be ashamed of it, we have world class directors and actors.

About MS: I've seen most of his movies, I really enjoyed them (maybe because I like Robert De Niro, or maybe because of MS I like De Niro :)

Is it a good idea to show Polish cinema to the rest of the world? Sure! I think that he picked some excellent movies there, I'm a big fan of Krzysztof Kieślowski who is extraordinary person - I recommend "I'm so so" (http://www.filmweb.pl/film/Krzysztof+Kie%C5%9Blowski%3A+I'm+So-So...-1995-119020).
Seisyll said…
I think that besides those niche movies which tell one specific story about someones life there isn't much in Polish cinema. This popular movies made for audience content aren't really that good.
I like older movies although. Too bad we stopped making these gangster movies. The most popular Killer was really good, and I think everyone saw E=mc^2 and Poranek Kojota. They weren't all that great, but still pretty good.
Also what is better than what we have in Polish cinema right now? Polish cinema from 30-50 years ago :) I bet no one saw "Niespotykanie spokojny człowiek" but everyone knows Sami Swoi. There were pretty good movies in the past
To be honest I don't have good experiences with polish cinema. For me the good movies ended with the time of Killer, Kariera Nikodema Dyzmy, etc. Actually I feel the same way about polish "Kabaret" groups. I really enjoy watching recordings of the old ones, on the other hand new ones don't make me laugh, at least not as much.
Martin Scorsese isn't really my favorite director. I've seen some of his films and I think they were good in general, but not just "my type". One movie I really liked was Cape Fear and I watched it more than one time for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?