Skip to main content

[Week 9] Part 1: The city of gold – Dubai




Dubai is the city of contrasts: sand dunes and skyscrapers, camels and luxurious cars, tradition and a modern life style, wealth and unfulfilled dreams. In Dubai you can find everything, which is the tallest, the longest, the best… However this extremely fast growing (even if slow-down because of economic crises) city has also its dark side.

Despite Dubai being a modern and cosmopolitan city, the emirate is still rooted in traditions. Camel racing, dhow sailing, and falconry as well traditional music, art and dance are still popular.

Islam is an official religion in Dubai and is widely practiced. However there are people of different religions and nationalities (over 150) working and living together – only around 15% of Dubai population is Emirati. Despite this fact it is easy to see locals wearing traditional outfits on the street. Although it is Islamic, Dubai is really a tolerant emirate, which is hard to believe for people who haven’t been there. UEA comparing to other Arabic countries are significantly less conservative. What is more, people there are friendly and extremely helpful, which may be especially important when you are lost (which happened to me several times). Everyone is ready to show you the way, catch a taxi or do a small favor.
Because English is commonly spoken in Dubai, you can easy get by without “learning” Arabic, which makes your stay much easier. However there are two Arabic words, which are overused even while speaking English:
Yalla – hurry up (it is used in every possible way, for example also while saying goodbye “yalla bye”)
Habibi – my dear (everyone uses it to everyone - friends, strangers, lovers)

What is usually surprising for people, who know nothing about Dubai, is that oil revenue is only a few percentage points of GDP. Today trade, manufacturing, transport, construction and real estate, finance and tourism are the main contributors. The development of high-end hotels and attractions together with successful overseas marketing campaign has made Dubai a popular destination (according to statistics Dubai international airport is one of the busiest in the World). The Palm Jumeirah, Burj Kalifa and Burj Al Arab have become well known symbols of the city around the whole world.
Besides architectural excess Dubai is also byword for lavish beach holidays and general fun in the sun with huge amount of diverse activities such as: jet skiing, skydiving, diving, dune bashing and even skiing.
On the other hand, this huge marketing campaign has its bad side. Most people I have talked with describe Dubai as artificial and overrated. People expect so much that later on are disappointed (so am I). There is a lot of reasons why (I don't want to spoil others), but still even I didn’t like it so much I highly recommend visiting Dubai because it’s for sure unique.

Questions:

Have you ever been in Dubai? If yes, what is your experience?
Is Dubai an interesting destination for you? Why yes/no?
Would you move there if your company would like to transfer you to the Dubai department?

All pictures were taken by me or my friends.

Comments

Dalvia said…
Have you ever been in Dubai? If yes, what is your experience?

No, I've never been there, and up untill now I was a little bit affraid. I still remember, that in Arabic culture woman is taken differentaly, than in Western countries. It does sound interesting though....

Is Dubai an interesting destination for you? Why yes/no?

It is an interesting destination. Firstly, to see a truly wealthy city, all those skyscrapers, luxurious shops, and especially, whole bunch of weird and completely different people! :)

Would you move there if your company would like to transfer you to the Dubai department?

It's difficult to say, I own a company, very small one, and for a moment I don't see a perspective of moving there, ha ha ha

Kasia Kmieć said…
I’ve never been in Dubai and I’m not really sure if I’d like to. I’ve heard all great stories about it, even my cousin was encouraging me to join him in a trip… but I cannot imagine any Islamic country being “less” or “more” conservative. I can say I’m kind of islamophobic and I cannot be sure which representative – of “more” or of “less” – I can meet. For men there can be a great adventure, though women’s situation is slightly less attractive. Dubai can be more liberal than other Islamic countries, but from what I’ve read they respect their laws very precisely – for example: a man have been arrested after finding hardly a grain of a drug on his shoe. You can read more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-512815/Briton-jailed-years-Dubai-customs-cannabis-weighing-grain-sugar-shoe.html And probably most of you remember a big case of a Norwegian woman that was raped there that was in the media some time ago. I think every country has its good and bad sides as well, but in this particular one I’m more aware of the bad ones. However, when it comes to making money, transferring companies, I’ve heard all the good stuff.
alt_pl said…
Have you ever been in Dubai? If yes, what is your experience?
I have never been on Middle East and I won't travel there.

Is Dubai an interesting destination for you? Why yes/no?
I am not interested in such country. On comparison You have luxury mixed with big poverty. Dubai have lots of debts because they only sell oil. If oil runs out someday they will be in big trouble. That is first reason and second one in more... personal. I am not a big fan of Islamic countries.

Would you move there if your company would like to transfer you to the Dubai department?
Never. Why not? These are my reasons:
* too hot - obvious, right?
* non-European cuisine - i like spicy food but arabic food can make you feel nauseous
* I would have to earn lot of money to live there...
* As European I would be treated like thrash by people in work.
Unknown said…
Have you ever been in Dubai? If yes, what is your experience?
No I naver been there, but I have friend who work and lives there.
Is Dubai an interesting destination for you? Why yes/no?
Yes, why.... its a posh beautiful place, with many atractions to visit. Those buildings are amazing and of course the history of the place.
Would you move there if your company would like to transfer you to the Dubai department?
To visit yes, but to live no.... siple because of the cultural differences, I am a family guy so I prefer to stay with my family in Poland.
Sylwia said…
In fact, in overall it's not a wealthy city. It is city as every other one. There are also poor neighbourhoods and people. In the city centre there are some sites with skyscrapers and next to them small, deserts buildings. It is really diverse. One of the biggest myths is about cars and luxurious parkings... Of course there are more unique, extremely expensive cars but not everyone can have such and parkings looks almost the same as in Europe.
Sylwia said…
You know, I consider myself also as "islamophobic" ;) I don't really like Arabic culture too. I went there because my friend lives and work there. That was an opportunity, which I couldn't missed, because I could experience not only touristic side of the place, but also live of typical people.
About such situation, which you mentioned these are rare. I really felt safe there. The law is strict and completely different from what we know, but generally people do not respect it so much. Driving under influence of alcohol is severely punished and form what I have seen almost everyone does it (not mention that Muslims can't drink alcohol...) The point it to not get caught, because when you are there is no mercy.
Do you know that the man, who raped that girl was also convicted? As far as I know eventually both of them were convicted because they have sex without marriage...
Sylwia said…
I agree with you, I wouldn't move there too. However I don't really experienced and heard from people I met that Europeans are treated like trash there... Why do you think so? Do you have such experience?
Darkia said…
I'm never been in Dubaj. Is it interesting destination... i don't know, for shure there a lot more beautiful and cheaper place to visit, dubaj have only big city on desert;x only legend about beautiful cars can be the most intresting thing.
i don't know i will move... it depents that for how long, how much money i will earn...
Unknown said…
Have you ever been in Dubai? If yes, what is your experience?
No, I've never been there.
Is Dubai an interesting destination for you? Why yes/no?
No, i'm not interested. I have better places for me
Would you move there if your company would like to transfer you to the Dubai department?
Depends how long, how much i will earn, who pays my bills, and etc.Although I'd rather not move up there to work
Blogger said…
Through its web based airport parking system, Park 'N Fly provides live access to a network of off-airport parking spots covering 50+ markets.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?