Skip to main content

Week 5: Diving

Nowadays diving is getting more and more popular. Millions of people are charmed with underwater life. However this extraordinary experience might be also a scaring and hazardous activity. My question is what makes diving so attractive?

For those who have never dove before, diving may seem like an intimidating experience. The thought of being submerged in deep water can definitely be stressful. Let's be honest: humans are not meant to survive underwater! The stress is common for most of first time divers, but this anxiety doesn't stay forever. With time people start to feel safe and comfortable with their dives. In fact a vast majority of those people change into diving addicts, who continuously return to discover new dive experiences, appreciating diving more and more and never get enough of it. And that is how my adventure with diving started. At first I didn't even like the idea of diving. I was faced with the choice of lying whole day on an uncomfortable, billowing boat or give diving a try. It wasn't until next summer holidays, when I truly began enjoying it. What made me to change my mind was inaccessibility of diving for regular people. When you dive even in the most crowded sites (and trust me on some popular sites it gets really crowded) you feel like you're exploring a new world with a large variety of unknown (for me) or simply rare or hard to find creatures.
From this big ones: dolphins, mantas, sunfishes, sharks...




Till these smaller ones like pipe fishes, seahorses, snails...



I've also started to luxuriate in feeling free and light, almost without limitation while swimming in the deep water. Last but not least reason is the atmosphere connected with diving. People you meet with the same interest from various countries and cultures. Friendships, which starts there. And how fun boat rides might be? Feeling the wind in your hair and the occasional splash of ocean water. All these things build unique memories.
Mentioning sharks. Do you know what is one of the first questions, which I am asked regarding diving? Non divers always ask me if I have seen a shark and if I'm not afraid of diving because of them. To overthrow the myth for once and for all please look at below statistics. Sharks are not as dangerous as most people think.



To be honest I have seen only reef sharks such as the white tip shark, which are smaller and let's say less aggressive. However it's common knowledge, that animals do not attack without any reason. Of course sometimes people do not realize what they have done, but it is said that the only unprovoked sharks attacking are these from the famous Steven Spielberg movie, the great white sharks. Anyway there are other creatures, which causes biggest problems for humans than sharks. It's mostly because their inconspicuous appearance for example Stonefish. There are two reasons why it is so dangerous. First it's the venom and second as I already wrote is their look. Stonfishes are usually hard to notice as they camouflage itself. Their color is similar to the color of stone. When diver accidentaly touch it, the fish is able to inject an amount of venom fatal for humans. As this is not the only dangerous species there is an underwater rule to keep your hands close to your body, meaning do not touch the reef. The other reason for this rule existing is to not destroy reefs. It's extremely important as corals are growing really slow. It depends on coral type, but it takes for some stony corals about one month to grow around 5 mm, while others such as deep water corals may grow much slower.  What's more when coral die all reef life dies too or migrate to other places, because corals serve as home and food for many underwater animals. I do not remember exact proportion however once I have read that reefs cover less than 10% of world oceans, but 90% of ocean life is dependent on reefs. Sadly every year a huge amount of coral reef is dying. There are many causes for that. Starting from these global ones like sea temperature and it's level increasing or pH changes from ocean acidification. Finishing on local ones such as coastal development, pollution, overfishing, disease and digging of canals.

At the end please look at this short diving movie. It was made by the company, which I was diving with last summer holidays. 

http://www.youtube.com/v/lajFEbYg-ws?autohide=1&version=3&attribution_tag=TzZa6atQJr1TELD1rYb6rQ&autohide=1&feature=share&showinfo=1&autoplay=1

QUESTIONS:
Have you ever tried diving or maybe you are an experienced diver? If yes what are you enjoying the most in it? If not do you want to try it? Why yes/no?

In your opinion what makes diving attractive?

Comments

No way! I would never go diving! xD Seriously though, I'm not afraid of water, I love to swim, but for whatever reason I have a terrible fear of "wild" waters. I just don't feel comfortable when swimming around sea creatures and stuff like that. I have no idea why, I mean I've been literally "thrown" into the waters around Sicily before I learned how to walk. I always liked and still like swimming, but in a swimming pool. I also don't mind swimming in the sea when all there is under the water is sand. But I just can't stand swimming around all the underwater fauna and flora.
I'm sure that it's a great experience for many people and I believe that they can be attracted to the underwater life. In the end it's something that many people never had the occasion to actually see so it must be an exciting thing for some. So I'll leave it to them! :P
Tomek Niezgoda said…
I've never tried diving. I'm not even a very good swimmer. The videos of people doing it however are very beautiful. I'm surprised it's still legal considering how sensitive the underwater life is. I've also seen videos of treasure hunters diving. That seems like an even more interesting endeavour. They put a lot of work in finding ship wrecks and recovering sunken artifacts.
I have never tried diving myself but I would definitely like to try it In the future. As for the dangerous sharks I totally agree with you. The Spielberg’s “Jaws” is fully responsible for our fear of sharks. The statistics speaks for themselves. It think that walking down the streets of Warsaw is more dangerous that diving in the ocean. Humans cause more troubles for sharks (and will probably exterminate those fantastic creatures in next 100 years) than the other way around.
diana said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
diana said…
It's not my thing - that would sum up my opinion on diving ;-)
I appreciate the beauty you can find underwater, and the diversity of life forms you can find there is truly amazing. Such activity can be very appealing and entertaining, but.. I don't think I'd like to try it. I guess I just don't like water ;-)
But maybe, if I was to try it someday, I'd change my opinion after experiencing it myself.
Seisyll said…
This is tough. I used to swim a lot and I love this feeling of floating. On the other hand, I hate fish. And it's not only problem of eating them but also touching them, or even being around them. Every time there is a whole fish in the fridge I ignore the part of fridge it lays in, even if there is something I'd eat.
That's why it's tough for me. I would really like to try diving at least once. Maybe there are some fish free places I can go to :P
What makes diving so attractive? I send you to the video to the minute 1:12. You can see there an organism living under water, which emits sparks, probably to defend itself. Tell me that it isn't amazing.
Unknown said…
SURE! Anywhere, anytime. I love swimming and i love water. Furthermore i love trying new things. I've nerver tried it before, but i have seen how beautiful is bottom of the sea from movies. I've seen how rich is life in sea near coast and i would love to see how it looks few meters under the surface. I have this exploration thing so i will totally do it if i ever get an opportunity.
lukasz-anwajler said…
I just asked about diving in comment on other article of yours, and there it is!

Wow, it sounds really really good, I need to give it a try one day - maybe when visiting Bali - that's for sure. I'm pretty good swimmer so it doesn't scare me, I think that diving may be something similar to being in space - you know - quiet and stuff (not very crowded :)

Sylwia, do you have any interesting stories related to diving? Riding on dolphines or something else ?:)
alt_pl said…
I would not like to dive because I have some serious problem with my blood pressure. I tried to dive many times ( in lakes with special borrowed equipment and without it ) and I did not feel good. Even though I admire all amateurs and enthusiasts of this water sport. I would like to try it once more after I handle with my health problems because I love water and everything about it.
- Aleksander Towcik
armandstanczak said…
I have never ever dove with scuba gear before, so I’m not much of a side of this conversation. I think that as a land creature we should stick to land and try to conquer the unknown world of the oceans xD Naah I’m just joking, it sounds as an awesome idea! I would love to go scuba diving sometime to see the coral reef. I don’t know why, but reading this post all I could think of is Nemo “… just keep swimming”
Cheers
Unknown said…
Diving? I never tried before because I am not brave enough :D (you know pressure and few meters of water above you and tiny diving cylinder with oxygen) but maybe someday I will.
Somehow when I am on the beach I always chose lying and sunbathing rather than diving 
But still for many people this way of spending time must be very attractive and I wonder why?
I know there are beautiful views and all this fish-stuff but if I want to take photo of exotic fish I will go to oceanarium which is much safer :) But it is only me…
Sylwia said…
There is one especially unique story. It happend 3 years ago in Egipt. We almost finished our dive on this site. A few people went to the boat, because they were running out of air. I left together with my friend and we decided to go further alone. After a few minutes we saw a diver laying on the bottom around 25 meters from us and about 18 meters deep. At first we thought that he was watching some micro life in the coral. However he wasn't moving, so we decided to check on him. He was not responding at all, but he was breathing gently. We started procedure to take him to the surface. When we were around 5 meters deep he opend his eyes. He explained us that he is the instructure and it was the middle of rescue diver final test. He was waiting for his student, who should have find him. Every time when I think or talk about it my blood pressure is increasing. Tha was one of the most scaring moments in my life.
Natalia said…
As many others I haven't every try to dive, but I'd love to try :) From the video it seems to be quite safe thing, but isn't there any restrictions about diving and then flying by plane? Considering the difference of pressure?
About the attractivenes in my opinion it must be quite interesting to be so close to fishes and other see creatures and views are probably much more colorfull than at the surface.
Last time when I was in Gdynia I was at the oceanarium - they have very nice exhibition with part of the cay - if you are not interested in diving, you still can take look at the through the glass: http://www.akwarium.gdynia.pl/ekspozycje/morskie.php I strongly recommend going there, they have even mniature shark :)
Sylwia said…
I'm not keen on idea of banning it! I do not see the reason why, as divers are not threat for reefs. Humans are, but usually because of others activities such as explosive fishing, building canals ports and so on. Of course people are diffrent and divers too, so not all respects rules. However most divers if they are trained well do not distroy corals. If you love something you do not want to loose it, you care about it. There are plenty of events involving divers, which help to maintain reefs.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?