Skip to main content

Week 5: Bali

Why you should visit Bali? 
Bali is definitely one of the most popular of thousand islands of Indonesia. If so many people are attracted to Bali there has to be the reason for that. Of course so many turists in one place is also one of the biggest drawbacks. However even if you are not the type of person, who enjoys spending holiday in such touristic destinations, there are plenty of ways to experience the Indonesian culture in Bali. This small island is one of those places, where nature has given people almost anything to fully enjoy their life. Long beaches, marvelous landscapes, tropical forests, rice terraces, Hindu temples, traditional food and drinks all for reasonable prices make travelers coming back for more. A unique culture is a mixture of Hinduism and traditional local beliefs. Most tourists come to Bali for its famous beaches, but to be honest in my opinion it is not the best feature. So what is the reason why would I recommend visiting this island?
1. Diving
Dive sides in Bali are highly praised for the beauty and diversity of its marine life. There are more than 2 000 species of reef fish in Bali's waters. There are vertical walls and sand slopes, steel and wooden ship wrecks, peacefull bays and ripping currents, deep coral-covered slops and shallow seagrass beds. You can find it all in one place. There are two especially unique sides Manta Point the Giant Mant cleaning station and Cristal Bay, which is definitely the best place to see Sunfish (Mola-Mola). If you are not a diver there is also a few places, which are nice for snorkeling.
2. Surfing
Surrfing is also very popular in Bali. There are people with surfboards on every cornner. You can easily find a school and learn it too. It's a part of turistic culture. The best conditions for surfing are in the southern part of the island. Waves there might be up to 3 meters. However in high season it gets really crowded there.
3. Culture
The Balinese are helpful, friendly and of course a really religious nation. Each day begins and ends with the sacrifice to the spirits and demons. These gifts can be found everywhere: at the entrance to the house, in a rickshaw, taxi, on the street outside the shop. Mostly these are little boxes with leaves, a few grains of rice and flowers. There is also enormous number of religious ceremonies (in a year there are nearly 200 events to celebrate) and numerous beautiful, sometimes extremely old temples. What's easy to notice is the other side of this religion. On the island is plenty of houseless dogs. Is because balinese believes that people, who lived badly are born as dogs in their next life. It's form of punishment.
4. Nature
Apart from underwater life, which I already mentioned, it's worth to going for a tip to the middle part of Bali. Stopping along the way in traditional villages. Admiring tropical forests growing on the slopes of volcanoes and beautiful rice terraces in valles. Everywhere you can find dozens of exotic animal species and plants, which in Europe can be seen only in a ZOO or growing in pots.
5. Cuisine
It my opinion it's a little bit boring. It is easy to guess that rice is the main ingredient of all meals. It is eaten even 3 times a day, all year round. Balinese people claim that they know thousands of ways to prepare it. Usually a meal contains rice with different kinds of meat (beef, chicken, fish) eggs and vegetables. After two weeks of eating it I was dreaming of "schabowy". However it was very instructive experience.

At the end please look at the short movie, which in my opinion is accurate summary of Bali's tourism.


QUESTIONS:
Have you ever been to Bali? If yes what did you like the most?
Have you ever visted other exotic places? What are your expirinces? What would you recommend?
Is there any place you you really want to visit in future?

Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
Awww, this is not really a subject in which I have much to say... I never visited Bali, never actually thought about visiting it. Certainly it sounds to be an interesting place and after watching the video it really looks nice. I'm sure it would be a nice experience, maybe someday!
I can't say I've been to any exotic places. Actually I have never been outside of Europe, so there. However I come from and have returned to many times to Sicily and in my opinion the deep south of Italy can be really exotic too :P You would be surprised at the customs they have there.
Is there a place I really want to visit? I don't know really. I guess it would be fun to go to Japan. Also I wouldn't mind going to china to see the country side and villages. In Japan I would be much more interested in the city life. However the truth is anywhere is fine by me, as long as I have good company!
diana said…
I haven't been to Bali. It would be nice to go there for sure, but in general beach and sea is not much of an attraction for me, leave alone hot climate which I don't like. I'm afraid I'd be quite bored there as I'm not into water sports (I even can't swim) or sunbathing.
I certainly prefer colder areas, with mountains and wild forests (and by wild I don't mean there're wild spiders or sneaks living there), mostly uninhabited, with old architecture - something like this.
Seisyll said…
Yet another interesting place to go. Seriously I sometimes hate when people show me some places they went to, or places worth visiting. The only country I went to is Northern Ireland in UK and as far as I enjoyed the visit to my familly, it wasn't really exotic place.
Maybe in the future I'll have more time/money to go somewhere nice. Maybe Egypt or Easter Island. The kind of place which have this ancient feeling, not the classic one as Greece or Italy
lukasz-anwajler said…
I visited India and Vietnam, but Bali is on my wishlist :) I saw so many pictures of my friends from this place that it's very tempting to go there - I expect that in next 12 months I'll visit this place. I need to admit that I don't like places crowded with tourists, so I prefer to fly to differrent countries out of the season, for example I visited Kos Island around April-May -- empty beaches, good weather -- very nice :) I'm very interested in diving, too, because I've never tried it. Sylwia, is it something difficult? Maybe some tips for a newbie? :)
Unknown said…
I've never been to bali but taking under consideration your description it has to be a lovely and very beautiful place, but no really in my style. I am not that much into exotic places. I'm more of a person who like ancient buildings with a mystery all over the place. I've been in Greece and Spain, but place i dream off every summer is Egypt and the Valley of Kings. I have to see it before i pass away. So i hope it will be my destination on next summer holydays.
alt_pl said…
I have never been outside Europe. I would like to visit one of 'exotic' places. I think that You need big budget to go to Bali and similar places, for this moment - not achievable by me :) If I would like to choose some country outside EU to visit - I would like to wander through United States from one coast to another.
- Aleksander Towcik
armandstanczak said…
Bali, never heard of it. Is it a fish? Uncle Google to the rescue. „… Bali is an island and a province of Indonesia, the nation's smallest province”. I even went on Google Earth to see it. Looks cool, but kinda warm too. I hate steaming hot temperatures. Since I love winter so much, I’d prefer to stay on Google Earth then go there. At the same time, all those tourist would drive me crazy. Not my kind of place.
Cheers
Unknown said…
Bali? Where is it exactly? :) (I know there is google but still question is still question) I have never been to Bali so what can I say? If I can find there beaches, clear warm water and drinks with palms brought directly to my sunbed I will go even tomorrow :) Looks pretty I must say. For sure nature, cuisine and culture are very interesting and exciting to explore but for now I will focus on Europe rather than islands of Indonesia.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
If you meet Cosa Nostra in Sicily... This place may become exotic for anyone :D Exotic or maybe "exciting" :)
Sylwia said…
There is theory, which you have to learn and rest it's your experience. First in the swimming pool and after sometime on the open water. Of course at the beginning you should starts from easy sites, but your diving school will be aware of that for sure. In my opinion learning it is not difficult. However it depends on person who learns. I heard about and saw people who no matter how they tries they always can't behave properly under the water. It's hard to explain way, but you can easly see it (their move and breath wrongly). There is not so many people like that, because usually they just do not feel confortable while diving and give up it.

My tip is to not plan you first diving hollidays basing on diving, because you might not like it. Just try it first additionally. There are diving companies, which offer 5 meters dive with an instructor holding your hand all the time, when you do not have any certificate. That is good way to check how do you feel under the water. You can also try it in Warsaw in swimmingpool, but it's not the same.
Natalia said…
As many others I haven't been to Bali and I don't plan to go there. For me it is too exotic - which I don't like in traveling. I feel better in the Europe and I think it is big enought to have nice travel experience :) In near future I plan to visit Croatia (Chorwacja) because it has great vievs - mountains and the sea also is not so far from Poland :)

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?