Skip to main content

Week 5: Nothing?


Image Available at:< http://media.lolwall.co/c/2013/04/i-m-doing-nothing_264050-500x.jpeg >

We often write about things we do, has done or things we would like to do... But what do we do when we do nothing? Yes nothing. You might think... "Gosh .. What a heck this guy is talking about" and you are right... 

I had no idea what to write about so I thought that I would just laterally seat here and do nothing. I ended up watching the screen of my laptop. I had no idea what to write about so I just carried on starring at an empty MS Word document. After a short moment I realised that while doing nothing I actually started to do many things. I started to move my finger in a circle on the laptop pad. Maybe that was a stressful  situation for me. You know ... I have to write something quickly and I have no idea! I guess because it was the middle of night. Anyway I thought that doing nothing made me get stressed. Then I realised this might be actually an interesting topic to write about. 


Sure, all of you know how to do nothing. Doing nothing is a sweet privilege (most of us know this feeling from childhood). We all love to be lazy from time to time.  However, recently I have read that doing nothing is an art, and not everyone can do it properly. Doing nothing is an art of relaxing which should maximise our rest and improve our performance while working. When I was younger, I was really good at doing nothing. Nowadays  I feel  I am losing that skill. Perhaps because when we grow up we get more and more responsibilities and less free time to waste.


Some say  that to be productive you have to learn how to be lazy. Apparently, everyone should get some free time to relax and rest. I know it sounds more like working in the United Kingdom or somewhere else... Sometimes our reality is so busy that we are forgetting how to waste our time efficiently. 

Doing nothing could be a waste of time or it could be an art, which can improve the quality of our lives. Therefore, it is in our interest to master this skill. What can we gain by doing nothing? We can get rid of stress and make our lives more enjoyable.  Sounds like a lot for me already. 


Image Available at: <http://www.ambergristoday.com/sites/default/files/archived_images/secrets_to_life/2011/11/07/secrets_to_life_do_nothing_jpg_44871.jpg >

How can we really master this craft? I have a few hints for you.  First, start small. Your session cannot be longer than 5 - 10 minutes. Too much nothing can be very overwhelming at first. Make sure you will find an appropriate place. You probably do not want to do ‘nothing’ at work while your boss is watching you. Trust me this could end up badly for you. Make sure the place you pick will be free of people that usually bother you.

When you succeed in finding the right location, do not forget to stay away from annoying people, make sure they will not be able to reach you via phone, Facebook, TV.  You know... just cut it off. Shut off all possible distraction like TV, PC, MAC, FAX, your wife, kids... ok the last two  was a joke, I hope you will not burn me alive for my poor sense of humour.  Anyway, let me go back to the topic. If you completed stage one, you are ready to close your eyes and do nothing. 

Are your eyes closed now? I bet you carry on reading this article. Gosh, you are so difficult to cooperate...
Ok I will give you a second chance.  Close your eyes and try not to do a single thing. Do not even think about anythinking.  Come back in 5-10 min. If anyone tries  to break your laziness, well... do not let them! Be prepared, they will use tricks! When you finish your relaxing, you might go and do something useful for a change. These 5 minutes were like eternity. Know your limit :).

Remember that you have to repeat this exercise to master it. My suggestion is to repeat it every time you accomplish one task and you are ready to move to another.  Clearing your mind will allow you to work efficiently. 

If you have any difficulties to focus. I have a hint just for you! Try to lay down and concentrate only on your breathing. Start by breathing slowly in and out. Feel the breath entering  your nose and going out with thru your mouth. Focus! Nothingness is waiting for you. Do not dear to ignore it. Think of it as your most powerful ally.  

If you still have a problem, that means you are not very good at doing nothing :), and you should read the entire article from http://zenhabits.net/the-art-of-doing-nothing/. 


Image Available at: < http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200912/r490350_2541882.jpg >

Questions:
Do you think that you are good at doing nothing?
Do you agree with me that doing nothing can be very beneficial?
What is your opinion? 



Comments

Unknown said…
There are so many different things that people refer to as "doing nothing" that it's hard for me to answer. I know I hate doing "nothing". However, doing "nothing" that some people describe as "nothing' really means much more than that. It evolves into something. For instance - meditation can be called "doing nothing". In fact it's meditating, however. It is indeed very beneficial.

However, for most people doing "nothing" means really just wasting their time, unfortunately. Watching TV, browsing useless website. That's rarely good for anyone. I believe that time is amongst the most important things you have and seeing how people have it but waste it is painful to me and I can't understand the idea of doing it.
I take joy in "relaxing", but it's not "nothing". Everyone needs to relax once in a while, and "relaxing" is in fact just slowing down and doing things you like at exactly the pace you want them to do to let your brain recharge.

None of those things are really "nothing" though. I believe it's a term that people use out of laziness to describe different kinds of activities. Some people mean great things by "nothing", while others just mean that they are wasting their time.
Tomek said…
I wouldn't say doing nothing is good but knowing how to rest effectively is. With many things on my mind during the day I often find it hard to pause for a second and relax. A good night's sleep can make all the difference at work or school the next day. I think the length of a rest isn't important but the quality. No wonder electronics aimed at improving sleep have gained popularity. We want to sleep well and then work efficiently all day which is no easy task.
Anonymous said…
Oh yeah, doing nothing after a long period of intense activity is extremely important. Break to relax and rest increase productivity.
However, doing nothing nowadays is actually very difficult. A little strange situation when you are at work and you do nothing for ten minutes :D.
As Simon wrote it is worth to go to a lower speed and stop thinking about important issues but about pleasant and relax.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I see that we all agree that it is very important to relax and rest. I also agree that doing nothing could be something negative. It depends on what do we mean by saying that we do nothing. Doing nothing as in not working and avoiding any tasks is bad. But doing nothing as in relaxing after work or taking a break at work to relax is good. I agree with Simon, Tomek and Łukasz opinions about this topic. You know what ? I just finished to moderate this post. I think i deserve for the break. I will lie down for few minutes.
Dalvia said…
It's kind of meditation, but it is working. Althought it's been a long time since I actually did nothing, those few hints did help me. Thanks! Now I can think straight! :)
Am I good in do nothing? I think in my case it’s a difficult achievement, cause I’m somehow subliminally must do something. Even then, when I try to rest, relax and free my mind from useless thoughts and always after some time the new thoughts come to me spontaneously about many things what can I may to do something fresh. Of course I’ve tried to relax by focusing my mind for example on my breath and something like that but I always can’t to free from incoming more and newer various thoughts.

This kind of relaxation is healthy and people need it, cause our brain can regenerate and after time to be again in 100% “functional”. Also, we should at least 2 times per day circa for approx. 15 minutes rest from everyday overload of Informations. I also recommending, popular since last time ASMR movies on YouTube channel.
Kasia Kmieć said…
Once in a while everyone has a moment when all someone wants to do is nothing. But the fact is nothing can have different meaning for different people. What some of us call nothing - e.g. reading a book, sunbathing, taking a nap, browsing the Internet - others can take for an important activity. I don't think that most young people like just sitting on the couch, stare at the wall and breathe. At least I have too much energy to do so.
But mostly I agree with what you wrote in your article - you really have to be productive to let yourself do nothing from time to time. If you want to accomplish the goal your boss, teacher, partner or you personally has set and still have some sweet free time to play, read, dance - whatever makes you happy and relaxed - you have to find a way to do the job quickly and therefore more productively. I identify myself with the words of Gates - "I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it." (www.goodreads.com/quotes/568877-i-choose-a-lazy-person-to-do-a-hard-job). In my opinion that is what defines the importance of 'doing nothing'.
Kacper K said…
In my opinion, I'm not the best at doing nothing. I agree with Tom's comment. Nowadays everyone lives very quickly and each day becomes more and more difficult against new challenges.
I am confirmed in the belief that it is not the length of vacation and somehow it is much more valuable. As an example I can give you a vacation for high school students. Their holiday lasts 2 months.
It is very long, the same old people can afford two weeks off throughout the year and also relax even more effectively than children.
In my opinion, doing nothing is not beneficial. It only promotes laziness.
From my point of view, the most effective is short intensive recreation where we do something active, not just staying.
Sylwia said…
First of all we need to define what do we mean by doing nothing. I think it is impossible to do nothing at all - at least I’m not able to do completely nothing, even for a moment. For me doing nothing is more like relaxing and forgetting about responsibilities for example lying in my parents garden when the weather is good and looking on the clouds or listening music. At this moment I don’t do any productive activity and that is way I call it nothing. I consider this kind of activities as beneficial. From time to time everyone deserve a break. If we don’t do it to often it’s good for our productivity later on.
I’m a person who always have to doing anything. I have itchy feet. Of course, anything often means nothing. Really relax sometimes could be very difficult. It’s problem for me to rest without computer, smartphone or television. Frequently listen to music is helpful. Sometimes I can listen intently to some calm or classical music. I agree with your opinion about that doing nothing can be very beneficial, but all things in moderation. It’s fine line between true rest and laziness.
Darkia said…
hm.. it's difficult to do just nofing, but sometimes, it's so good, to just lay down, and do nothing ;D
Unfortunatly i spend a lot of time on sitting before pc, and play games, wathing something, but really often i completly lost time on that. Especially when i have something to do. When i know i must do something, i'm getting so lazy. And even just lay in bed are just so awesomes idea ;D whn u do nithing u can really relax. Of course easier is to do nothing on fresh air, just lay in the sunlight... i wanna summer ;<
Maria said…
Nice article, gives you something to think about. It really is challenging – doing nothing!
I think it’s good that we do things all the time. Not doing anything seems sad to me. Makes us think about unnecessary things :)

Have you watched a Jim Jarmusch movie „Permanent Vacation”? It’s a sad film about people who don’t have to, and don’t do anything. But you’re writing about temporary not doing anything, which actually is helpful. It’s not doing anything in the long run that seems scary to me…
Unknown said…
Doing nothing may, paradoxally, be productive! I think that all of us need some rest, some time to relax, forget about everything, just doing completelly nothing- it will benefit in very near future. It makes our minds fresh, we can have another point of view which is always good while solving a problem for example.
I am definetelly good at doing nothing, because i'm meditating, that is the best way to get life balance.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Well i guest that we all agree here. Doing nothing is very important part of our life. We need to rest to work efficiently. You all agree on this. However some of you feel uncomfortable while doing nothing. Does it make you feel bad? Some will say that it is waste of time, however i think that nothing could be more wrong. When you go to bed and sleep. This is some form of doing nothing (Resting). Can you work without rest? Did you ever try not to sleep? Did you ever had to pass on sleeping because you had work to do? How will your work look like day after? Don't you even answer. I exactly know this feeling. Same is with resting during the day. You just have to do it to make your work more productive and creative. Simple as that!
Unknown said…
I'll be honest, it is not easy for me doing nothing. I am very active on a daily basis, it involves this with my mode of operation, but it also sports, where I relax. Cycling, skating or swimming pool is what Calms me, lets relax after work. So I'm not really good at doing nothing.
I must admit That it happens to me sometimes so chill, then play computer games, read a book or watch a good movie.
Not entirely agree doing nothing That can be very beneficial. If you do it from time to time to regain our strength is ok, but if it happens often at Work That this is not about us well especially when the boss sees it.
In my opinion there is now way of “doing nothing” effectively, or rather in a productive way. What I mean is that if you are doing something productive that you are most certainly NOT doing nothing. And something productive don't have to be something useful for your work, or school or anything. To give a simple example, some people ma relax by reading a book or watching a movie. That is definitely not doing nothing and can actually expand your knowledge or vocabulary, making it also productive. Another person like to relax by painting – in the process of relaxing the person develops painting skills. Again, productive. For me doing really nothing, meaning wasting time, is definitely not a good thing, very bad actually. Even a crime, I would say. On the other hand I believe that something that brings any kind of profit is not a waste of time – whether is helps us develop culturally, or simply allows us to let of steam, if afterwards we have gained something, that the process was not a waste of time. Often people simply don't see the “profits” of their pass-times (or other people don't see them, which is more often :P).
Blogger said…
Did you know that you can shorten your links with LinkShrink and make cash for every visit to your shortened urls.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?