Skip to main content

Week 10: Go


What is this?


Go is a strategic board game, very popular in Asia.
It has originated in China more than 4000 years ago (around 2300 bc.).
This is how typical go board (called goban) and the game in progress looks like:

Beautiful, isn't it?



Black and white stones are played on the intersections of lines on the goban. The classical board has 19x19 lines, which gives us 361 possibilities to place a stone. Once it’s played, it cannot be moved around the board - it can be only removed by an opponent.
The purpose of the game is to surround territory on the board, which means that you really don’t have to kill your opponent in order to win the game. You can capture many of opponent’s stones and yet still lose the game because of the territory you’ve got.
By gained territory I mean each empty intersection that’s surrounded by stones of one colour.



Here on this simplified small board,  black has surrounded 6 empty intersections, which gives him 6 points, and white has got 5 points in total.

I don’t want to bore you with all the rules, but I can assure you that those are very, very simple.
You can learn how to play in 5 minutes, but it is  lifelong study to master the game.
If you’re curious, you can quickly learn how to play here or here.



What makes it different?


- go is peaceful and balanced. It focuses on learning how to share the board with your opponent, not smashing him, because the board is simply too large for one player to gain all territory for himself. If you chase and attack your opponent too aggressively, you often lose because of losing focus on territory (your opponent may simply defend and strengthen his positions while creating thick walls encircling some territory). You need to learn how to not be greedy and not take everything for yourself. It’s great tool for character development. Also, there has been some studies on brain activity during the game. It’s said that go players use both right and left hemisphere (compared to chess, where mostly left is used).


- go is still a challenge for AI - no existing computer program can beat the best human players yet. Of course the progress of go programs skills is visible and still growing, but still they stand no chance against best humans. It’s partly due to the huge complexity of the game (too many possibilities to simply brute force it), and partly due to the character of the game. Often even best players cannot precisely explain why some move is considered as good or the best for a given position. They very often talk about intuition behind their tesuji (“best move”). Each single stone, once placed, has so many possible continuations, that it’s required to “read” ahead about 100 moves (including your opponent proper responses!) in order to determine whether it’s good or bad for you.


- go is considered as a professional occupation in Asia. Which means, that if you’re good enough, you can earn money (a lot of) by playing or teaching go. In China, Korea and Japan there’s big business build around the game - dedicated TV channels, newspapers, books, clubs, schools, big tournaments with many sponsors. You need to start early if you plan the professional career, often by the age of six or seven.


- go sets can be itself a piece of art and happen to be very, very expensive.







Go in popculture



There is very interesting and fun anime and manga about go, called Hikaru no Go. If you’re fancy of japanese animation, you need to watch it :)
A great gain of new players has been observed in Japan after it was released, especially among children.
Several movies have referenced go (A Beatiful mind, Pi, Hero).



If a typical go is too mainstream...


you can play one colour go:





blind go (no goban needed!), torus go (where goban doesn’t have borders) and even 3d go:







I deeply encourage you to watch the short trailer of the newcoming documentary about go:

Comments

I think go is an extern version of chess. I never played go but I used to play chess a lot. A game of unlimited possibilities, making each game a different experience. And that’s the main advantage of board games in comparison to modern video games, where world is limited (no matter how large it is there is a border in some point) and each time you play you live the same story over and over again. It’s sad that board games are less and less popular these days.

I would really like to try go someday because it looks like a challenging game that really involves your intellect in 100% and that’s what I like. But as I said we shouldn’t feel inferior that we didn’t invent such game in our culture. Chess is a similar game, although the chessboard is smaller, the variety of chess pieces movements makes it virtually impossible to play two identical games. And as in go it also require significant amount of thinking to win.
Tomek Niezgoda said…
I’ve only played Go on a computer, never on a physical board. However, I have played other board games. It’s surprising to me how popular this form of entertainment still is and how many new games get created. The amount of money reserved for winners during tournaments is huge and they have to be incredibly skilled.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
This is hard topic to write on because I have never played this game before. However it looks very challenging and it makes me want to try it out. I like strategic games because they make you think. Strategic games stimulate your ability of creative thinking. I often play chess on my android phone. After reading this article I might install "Go" game too. Perhaps then I will have something more to say about it.
Unknown said…
I am quite of a fan of a board games, but a little siffrent style. I have never played Go in real world, only some times on the computer as a time-killer. Although it look chalenging and very entertaining i think it has a lot in common with chess. I am no big chess fan. I respect their difficulty level, i know the general rules but... i dont know. Just not my type of entertainmen. GOod luck :)
Unknown said…
I always liked board games but maybe in different not necessarily Chinese style :). It looks like very complicated version of chess which I can handle easily but this… I tried Go few times but always in digital form never in real life. Maybe it is time to try something old/new :)
Seisyll said…
The thing that pops in my mind when I see this is this pen and paper game called "kropki". The one where you are supposed to connect your dots in such a way that it "captures" the other players dots. I never played Go though and it's too bad cause I would really like to try it. Computer versions don't give the same feeling as when you are facing your opponent.
diana said…
There're many free go apps for android, you should definitely try it if you like chess ^^
diana said…
In my opinion go has not very much common with chess, apart from the fact that both are board strategic games... and maybe that's where similarity ends :>
diana said…
Why does it look like a version of chess? What makes you think that? It's so much different from chess for me..
diana said…
Yeah, you're right.. if you know 'dots' you know like a half of rules in go :p But there's still more in go than only capturing 'dots' ;)
These "old fashioned" board games aren't really my type of thing. I do like board games, but I'm keen on modern board games, where usually more players play, often in teams. I especially like role playing board games which are quite popular nowadays, as well as good old monopoly :D. I also enjoy a game of scrabble although I'm not very good at it. Generally speaking I don't really care about winning board games, more about enjoying them with others, so that's why I prefer games which involve as many people as possible. (Jenga is also cool, although it's not technically a board game xD I also suggest to check out Jungle Speed if you like fast paced games!)
Natalia said…
I've never played this game but it seems to be very nice game. I like the idea of equals stones. In chees you have many different pieces, one is better from another from the other side In go every stone is as much good and necessary as any other.
The trailer have shown main difference between east and west cultures. Asians are very serious about anything they do even if it goes about game they try to be perfect and always win, Americans treat games as "game" nothing really important. That is why it will be hard for them to compete with each other.
lukasz-anwajler said…
Thanks for interesting video, it was nice despite having The XX music :) It's annoying that when they discover one song they insert it into every damn movie trailer, I think the best example of that is music from "Requiem for a dream" (Cronos Quarter I believe).

Go seems to be challenging game and I like the aspect of balacing your efforts during the play. I think we can learn a lot from eastern countries and Go is a perfect example.
Unknown said…
Good job Diana. It's very interesting article. I played many board games like chess, checkers or othello, but unfortunately I've never played go. Surely I will try after reading this post. I think it's very interesting and requiring game.
diana said…
I also like scrabble :) And also, you can play go with more people - in teams, or rengo, when two people alternately play for the same colour. And you can also play fast version of go, called blitz or lightining go.
diana said…
Yeah, I don't think anyone outside of Asia would ever beat top asian player.
diana said…
Wow, I didn't pay attention to the music in this video at all, I was so focused on go ;)
diana said…
I'm glad you like it!
If you'd ever like to play irl, there're some go clubs in Warsaw and also torunaments every month. See you there, maybe ;)
armandstanczak said…
Well, i've never played it, but I'm aware of it. As far as i remember the game is not perfect - described in movie "Beautyful Mind". It can be challenging, it might be fun for some people. I'm a XXI century kind of guy, so computer games are my first choice. very interesting though.
Blogger said…
Find out how 1,000's of people like YOU are earning their LIVING by staying home and are living their dreams TODAY.
GET FREE INSTANT ACCESS

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?