Skip to main content

Week 7 : A player's guide to RPG

"So... How do I attack?" - a player's guide to RPG

Well, I know it's not the case, but let's just say that my previous publications made you interested in RPG (yeah, right... xD). So you would like to try it. You find some friends who play it and they agree to let you play with them, hooray! So what do you do?
First of all you would have to ask the GM about the exact setting of an adventure. By 'setting' I mean two things: first the world. Various scenarios take place in various realms: the most classic is medieval fantasy and even that comes in many flavors. It can be regular, dark, epic or else. But often an RPG session is played in the modern world, in the future, in the Star Wars realm, or some more "customized". Often the GM will feel like creating an adventure in the world of a single book or movie. So now we come to the second part of the setting which I personally define as the 'style' of the session. Will it be combat focused? Like being Neo in the matrix? Or maybe more adventure focused? Like tomb raiding Indiana Jones style? Maybe the story will be espionage? Or maybe a crime thriller?
It is very important to understand these aspects of a scenario, so that you can prepare an adequate hero. Although it is mainly the GM's job to place your character in the story, you should help him by creating one, that actually fits it.
So now you ask yourself: who will this character be? When playing according to a rulebook you can check it up to find some inspiration. Rulebooks contain information about the various races (if the setting allows for something else than human) and classes (read: jobs) you can choose from. Generally speaking, reading pats of the rulebook used by the GM (if any) is a good idea. It can help you understand how to craft the hero, how to write his past, so that he best fits the setting and how to role- play it.
Yes, creating a good and interesting character is a lot of work. I could go on and on about it, but for the sake of this presentation I'll make it short. So, as I mentioned, it is good to create a past for your character. From where did he come from? How was he treated? How did he live? How does that reflect on him now? What events from his past made him the person he is now? You don't need to be a famous book author to write a short but interesting story. I believe it's fun for the player and also helps the GM a lot. Armed with the biography of the hero, the GM can bring up events from his past, making the story have an especially strong impact on the players character and therefore making him an important element of the scenario. I believe that being in the spotlight is enjoyable for every player. More on that in the next publication.
Now we go to what actually is the most important thing when playing a RPG - role playing. Don't feel shy or silly about role playing your hero and describing in detail the actions he takes. The details are those things, which really show who your character is. Instead of declaring "My hero asks the guy if he knows anything" it's a way cooler to say stuff like "Sir Galahallt approaches the commoner with pride and after giving him a dominating stare, he asks him with his booming voice: 'Seen you not anything, simple peasant?!'". This example might seem funny and/or stupid, but believe me, when you take the RPG session and your character seriously, you can have lots of fun and create marvelous and epic tales with your friends, each time becoming someone completely different. No invisible walls, no limitations known from computer games. Just do what you want, the way you want and be the hero.
In my next publication I will talk about being the game master in RPGs. Meanwhile:
1. Do you have a favorite character? It can be any person, fictional or real, from any movie, book, game, etc.
2. Why him/her? If you don't have a favorite character I don't believe you and go back to question 1 :P
3. If you were to create your own character, who would he/she be? And in what setting would you place that character?

Comments

Unknown said…
My favorite character is Dr. Reid from “Criminal Minds”, which is for me the best TV series ever. He is a young, handsome and genius FBI agent. He knows absolutely everything. He works as a profiler, i.e. he catches murders by profiling their personalties. I love Reid because of his charm and unlimited knowledge gained from reading tons of wise books. What can I say, he is a perfect husband!
I also love Harry Potter and the magic world of Hogwarts. If I had to create a fictional character for myself, I would place it in the Rowling world. I could be one of the wizards in the Griffindor home. I would like to have adventures as cool as Harry had. This summer I was on a trip in Warner Bros Studios and I bought a magic wand, so I am one step closer to become a wizard, right?

armandstanczak said…
Hi Sergio, for starters thank You so much for such an amazing article. It was a very good read. I was waiting for such a material for so long! Anyways, I'm a huge fan of RPGs! My favorite character is Dr. House, but in the long run he would either rule the whole world or destroy the game itself. If I had the ability to create my own character, it would be something amazing which you can punch a wall down with, he would have lasers and would have the ability to control other heroes, just like Cher! He would be this dark lord in the depths of hell. i think my character would beat Yours...
Cheers!
Unknown said…
Great article, thank you Sergio. I have a lots of favourite heros. But i assume i have to narrow it down, to lets say, 3. So, order matters, Thrall (character from book), Geralt (also from book) and Achaja (surprise! no, not this time, also a book character). Thrall iss just a character i like because of his past. Geralt and Achaja are characters that are not white nor black. We just cannot tell are they good or bad in 100%. They have their problems and their are not sure how to solve them. Thanks to those problems we can feel more like those characters.
As many people I don’t’ have one favorite character I like the most. I liked many. I liked Darth Vader form Star Wars ( really tragic character not clearly bad as everyone thinks), I really liked Geralt form Sapkowski’s book series “Wiedźmin”. He was also a quite complicated character with a lot of internal conflicts. And many, many more but I think that these two were my favorites.
If I had to create my own character I think that we would be a lot like these two I mentioned above. I don’t like any character that is always good or always bad (nothing like this exists in nature). My character would sometimes do god things but not always. His own interest (or the one he cares about)would be his only compass in life.
Now I am a confused, yet happy panda! :D
I actually have some friends in the north of Poland that played RPG sessions placed in Hogwarts, so it's not an uncommon setting! Very often people like to play in the setting of a particular movie that they liked (for example Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Matrix).
Thanks, happy you liked the article! I can agree that Thrall is an awesome character, however I am not a fan of neither the Witcher or Achaja.
Actually "grey" characters are usually the best ones for a RPG session. Characters that seem all "good" or "bad" almost always feel artificial and therefore make for a lousy hero of a story. And obviously it's hard to have a good story without a good hero!
Natalia said…
As many others I have many of favourite characters! I can't choose only one, every of them have pros and cons, so I've decided to present my most recent favourite character. Eren Yaeger from universe of the Attack on Titan. Why? Because of his determination and will to fight, besides everything he have passed through
he still have human feelings and doubts. He is not "hollywood hero" which kills without thinking and consequences to their psychic.
When I comes to create own character I typically choose the "Berserker" or the "Barbarian" class, so probably my hero for RPG would be as such class: strong female and first hero to fight - questions would be asked later :) Little dose of fury in the eyes would be desirable. About setting: I think please where my heroes hands could be often covered by the 'fresh meat' would be nice.
Seisyll said…
1. Yup, Gregory Thomas, a character from an RPG campaign.
2. I had a lot of fun playing as him. We had many funny and awesome moments in these stories I played as him.
3. Well so Gregory is living in actual times Seattle, is a mage (Mage: The Ascension) and a member of outcast team called Dovakhiin. We don't shout and kill dragons but we blow things up and kill vampires and werewolves.
alt_pl said…
1. My favorite character of all time.. tough choice in my opinion. But I think it would be Nameless from Gothic series.
2. Very interesting personality ( depending on whom is playing :) )
3. I would create some cyberpunk hacker with built-in-me data storage and access to Internet with limited knowledge of usage of weapons and high engineering skills.
lukasz-anwajler said…
1. Do you have a favorite character? It can be any person, fictional or real, from any movie, book, game, etc.

There are so many of them :) I'd take for example Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye. He represents typical "f* the system" attitude.

2. Why him/her? If you don't have a favorite character I don't believe you and go back to question 1 :P

I like the way he thinks and interacts with other people. He also look at things from different view than his peers.

3. If you were to create your own character, who would he/she be? And in what setting would you place that character?

Regarding RPG, I like playing different characters, it's a good exercise for your mind - for example playing a girl, thief, knight, dancer, killer etc. I try to understand how these people feel and act in the game accordingly.
A female blood lusting berserker? That would be something fresh for my scenarios, never had a player with a character like that!
I remember times when Greg was part mage, part cyborg and turning into a vampire :P
I totally agree with the idea of trying to play different characters. It's one of the things RPG is about honestly, putting yourself in the shoes of someone else. However I usually don't agree that players play characters of the opposite sex than theirs, because I believe it almost always turns into a farce. And breaks the atmosphere of the session. In my experience anyways.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?