Skip to main content

Week 12 [13-19.06.2016] New media art

 New media art is a new dimension of art. It’s a combination of many disciplines and new technologies, among others digital art, computer graphics, computer animation, virtual art, Internet art, interactive art, video games, computer robotics, 3D printing etc. 

Today  I want to present a few contemporary new media artists.




1. Memo Akten

source: http://audiovisualacademy.com/avin/wp-content/uploads/memo_900.jpg
Memo Akten is an artist from Istanbul, based in London, UK. His work explores nature, science, technology, culture, ethics, ritual, tradition and religion. Akten is a strong supporter of open-source software and many of his open-source tools and libraries are used globally. He is one of the core contributors to the openFrameworks project, and he gives lectures and workshops around the world. (This year I had the opportunity to listen to his lecture at Resonate Festival in Belgrade). He creates  a lot of amazing interactive installations, for example:
Laser Forest (2013)https://vimeo.com/64652497


2. Kimchi and Chips

source: http://www.mappingfestival.com/2016/assets/profile_pictures/86/large/photo_Kimchi_and_Chips.jpg

The second is an art studio from Seoul created by Mimi Son and Elliot Wood. Mimi Son was born in Seoul, where she lives and works. Over the past decade she has worked as a designer, professor, storyteller, curator, and an artistic director in various countries and institutions. She’s an artistic element in this group. She likes to experiment with different materials, perspective. Elliot Woods is a digital media artist, technologist, curator, educator from Manchester UK. On the other hand, he is more scientific element of their cooperation. Elliot is a contributor to the openFrameworks project (the same like Memo Akten), and an open source contributor to the VVVV platform.
Their works are huge and spectacular installations which are based both on scientific and artistic experience and research.

Line Segments Space (2013)
http://www.kimchiandchips.com/works.html#LSS

This installation is based on canvas,  which is special string and video mapping.


3. Refik Anadol


source: http://www.mappingfestival.com/2016/assets/profile_pictures/75/original/Refik_Anadol_recadre.jpg
Refik Anadol is a media artist born in Istanbul. He lives and works in Los Angeles. He is a lecturer at the University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Design Media Arts. His artworks create relationship between architecture and media arts. He is working at public art with parametric data sculpture approach and live audio/visual performance. One example of such an installation in a public space is Virtual Depictions: San Francisco:
https://vimeo.com/147304811

We could admire works of these artists ,among others at the Mapping Festival in Geneva (
http://2016.mappingfestival.com) and also they have lectures at Resonate Festival in Belgrade (http://resonate.io/2017/).

Do you like new media art?

Would you like to create interactive installations?

Do you know some interesting artists who create on the border of new technologies?

Comments

New media art seems to be interesting, creative installations always bring people curiosity and attention. I saw some installation in Prague contemporary art museum, where people could walk into installation below ceiling but I was scared that it is dangerous so I only watched other people trying. Also installations in Warsaw were interesting in Zamek Ujazdowski museum there was vacuum cleaners installation, it was pretty weird but in positive way. I remember also a huge container with bags left by people wth their breaths, where they could describe their’s last breath intention.
Marcin Konarski said…
The examples shown by you seems to be interesting and promising at the same time. I know that art in general is a hard area and requires huge imagination, bravery and innovation so I always adore ideas like that. I don’t know any polish authors of similar works and it would be nice if someone from Poland became world-wide famous. I visited Emilia museum in Warsaw few times and there were installations but I don’t remember well what it was about.
Unknown said…
I want to go to CSW in Zamek Ujazdowski but recently I have lack time to do it :( I think interaction is always more interesting for people than static exhibits, because you can become a part of art in real time ;)
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
If we talk about Polish artists I recommend follow WRO Center - http://wrocenter.pl
They often exhibit some installations :)
Unknown said…
Thank you for the presentation. I love that art and science walk hand in hand now; double the creativity! This mix questions definitions and borders. Art can be found in lines of code and, conversely, science can be found in a painting. It gives us practically unlimited opportunities.

I think a really important part of new media arts is the interaction with the audience. It's a dialogue, something that earlier artworks usually lacked. Many times the project can only exist/be realised through the audience's feedback. It's an interesting step for arts, because, again, it questions the notions of 'author' and 'artist'.
Unknown said…
I know Memo Acten, but I haven’t seen “Laser Forest. It is beautifull and it seems to be soothing for recipients.
Of course I like new media art. It is a new way in the art. It is way which doesn’t has finish. It doesn’t has restrictions. It is huge, great and free. In new media art everything is possible.
My diploma will be interactive installation. I know how much work I must give to create interactive installation. It is very winding and composite process.
I’m sure you know our polish Pan Generator. They are amazing people, who create amazing work.
Why have you choosed these a few artists? Are they your favourites?
I don't know much about visual art in general, but I do admire some on a basis of preference that I sometimes don't understand myself. I don't plan to work on any interactive installations, but never say never. Maybe one day I will work on sth like that, but I suspect from technical side of things. I liked the works you linked.
Unknown said…
I chose them because their work made a huge impression on me :) Yes I know Pan Generator and I think they also make great things. I can't wait to see your diploma, good luck! :)
Unknown said…
Thank you for your comment :)
Unknown said…
I'm glad that you like this presentation :) I think the same as you, it's great that the technology provide us new opportunities to communicate with the audience.
Unknown said…
It's alright, I guess. Not my cup of tea to be honest but sometimes I do or do not find it aesthetically pleasing. That's pretty much it, no strong feelings.
Unknown said…
It is the first time I read about new media art, and artists that have been mentioned in presentation. Their creations seems interesting to me, as they use new technologies to show new kind of art. I like it.
Unknown said…
Do you like new media art?

I am not really into art, but its a cool concept

Would you like to create interactive installations?

Who knows, maybe :D I just dont know

Do you know some interesting artists who create on the border of new technologies?

Maybe VJ's ?
Unknown said…
I am not big fan of art and especially the new wave. For me sometimes it is just a trash which is aimed to get a lot of money for literally trash that is positioned as something unique, which expresses the inner world of the author.
However those guys for me are okay, not super or crazy, but okay. Again, I am not big fan of an art, so for me at least they are not trying to sell a piece of potato for 5 million bucks.
Unknown said…
While personally being more accustomed with more classical forms of art, I like to interact with new forms and concepts. It's good to know that there are people that are somehow motivated to push the definition of what we perceive as art. Although in my opinion it's hard piece of work to be done.
Unknown said…
I like new art trends, instalations are great, I saw a while ago a few that was delighted. I can't find a link right now, but it was great. I wish I could see something like that somewhere in Warsaw.
Moode said…
Definitely interactive exhibitions are much better form of knowledge transfer. Thanks to new media art, people prefer to go to museums and cultural events. If you are interested in cool installations and interactional exhibitions I recommend the modern art museum, go also to Copernicus Science Centre and Planetarium. I recommend tracking projects that are placed in the national stadium have a lot of interesting exhibitions such as van Gogh.
Unknown said…
Damn i actually never was much into modern New MEdia Artists! Thanks for sharing these and i think it might have opened my mind a little bit more 😃
Unknown said…
Works shown in this article are really moving and made a big impression on me, especially the last one. I really appreciate modern art. It' also quite spectacular so it doesnt have problems with attracting viewers. I think even people who are not interested in art would gladly see these kind of installations. Still, even if I can appreciate it, I dont see myself as someone who creates this kind of art, it' something really technological using computers and such, and I feel more comfortable in traditional forms of expression.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 (09-15.03) VOD

http://www.vod-consulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1.jpg

Week 11 [03-09.06.2019] The problem with ecological cars emission in UK

The problem with ecological cars emission in UK Since the adoption of the European Emission Allowance Directive in the European Parliament, all car makers have tried to submit. Since 1992, the Euro I standard has been in force, which limited the emission of carbon monoxide to the atmosphere. The Euro VI standard currently applies, which limits the series of exhaust gases. These include: hydrocarbons, nitrogen and carbon oxides, and dust.   The most significant change was brought by the Euro IV standard. For the first time it introduced the limitation of nitrogen oxides, which are responsible for the harmful compounds of smog.   What is smog?   Smog consists of sulfur oxides, nitrogen and carbon. In addition, solid substances such as suspended dust (PM). Dust suspend in atmospheric aerosols may be in liquid and solid form. These can be particles of sea salt, clouds from the Sahara and artificial compounds made by people. These compounds often come fr

Week 4 [06-12.11.2017] This is what happens when you reply to spam email.

James Veitch is a British comedian. In today’s Ted Talk James with characteristic for himself a sense of humor shows how he deals with spam emails and why responding to junk messages may be sometimes dangerous. Questions: What do you think about James’s  way of dealing with spam? Why are junk messages legal, even though it sometimes may be a fraud? Dou you have a problem with spam? How do you deal with with it?