Read/watch the presentation Library builder's monument of books published at http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34465031
and comment on/discuss it
here.
Put your name on the list of blog moderators (choose a week when you would like to do it). Remember, blog moderation is an obligatory part of the course. What do you do as a moderator? Choose some theme for your week. Put on the blog links to interesting articles, films, presentations, etc. Comment on them and encourage your group to discuss them with you and other course participants. 1 . 07.10-13.10.19 2. 14.10-20.10.19 Marcin L., Anna K., August M., 3. 21.10-27.10.19 Hubert M.,Maciej S., Igor G., Piotr B., Yekateryna P., Bakhodir I., 4. 04.11-10.11.19 RostyslavTre, Cem A., Vitalii O., Hanna P., Olha R., Anastasiia Ch., Patrycja W., Roman B., 5. 12.11-17.11.19 Lukasz B.,Mateusz H., Mikołaj W., Iryna L., Dawid P., Oleksandr N. Karol M., Mehmet K., Monika L., Piotr Dz., 6. 18.11-24.11.19 Kacper G.,Aleksander Ch., Daniel W., Wojciech S. Maciej Szcze., Denys P., Bartosz W., Michał Sk, Cezary R., Bartosz B., 7. 25.11-01.12.19 Zy...
Comments
A couple of months ago there was an uplifting story about a boy in Utah that had to read junk mail because he didn't have any books. Anyway people all over the world sent him books and now he has over 500.
http://myfox8.com/2015/07/29/boy-who-reads-junk-mail-receives-thousands-of-books-thanks-to-mailmans-facebook-plea/
It's also a great thing that Room to Read not only does provide books, but also publishes the new ones in the local languages, employs local authors, illustrators and publishers. It's a very responsible way to help!
As much as I would like to help it is not so easy to leave everything and go to the Africa. I think that books are important but we can see that there are other problems like access to water. It is important to create more non-profit organisations, everyone can support them and spend even few hours in week.
Living in Europe, with access to knowledge in various forms, we did not even think about the problems faced by countries such as those described in the article. This type of initiatives are a necessity in underdeveloped countries to increase awareness of the people, stimulate them to act, to understand that education should be an important part of everyone's life.
Thanks to people like Mr Wood world becomes a better place.
I'm glad that something like this happens, every human being deserves it, but to be honest the article didn't trigger any major emotions in me. It's not something that concerns me or people around me and all I could think about after reading this article was "ok, great".
I may sound selfish but oh well...
Reading very develops the imagination, not to mention the development of language (vocabulary, grammar). It is amazing that some people are able to devote their careers and other things to help other people.
I'm very pleased to hear that Room to Read published books written by local authors and in native languages. Supporting local culture is extremely important.
Thanks to these organizations, children from poor regions have a greater chance for a better future.
I'm not sure about content of these libraries, I hope it includes all kinds of books - not just the children's books or fiction stories, but also some know-hows and science books.
This article is a real eye-opener, in our case it is easy to forget, that not everyone have access to information. This reminds me of the Google Balloon project.
https://www.google.com/loon/ - I hope it will work. The access to information is, and should be a basic human right, and the global Internet is the best way to achieve it.
While reading, kids learn many useful and interesting things, branch out and also
explore the paper world. Educated children evolve into better payed and more valuable employee.
I really admire people like Mr Woods who knows that it's better to give a fishing pole, not a fish.
They spend whole their live helping but everyone can help with less efford. We can sometimes skip
go for a beer or to cinema and transfer this money for some charity. It's not a big price for a better and more transparent world.
Such projects is a possibilities for people in different regions and states to be introduced to the knowledge or at least to see different perspectives on the numerous questions.
It is hot for the heart when I read article like this. I have never heard about Mr Wood, but he seems to be very inspiring man. He had a great idea and he has huge heart, although he says: " I was focused on myself, on my career, and on how much money I could sock away in my bank account." Great that he had initiated create school library in Nepal. It is very important and it is huge chance for the local community.
It is great and precious that this organisation is working in 10 countries now.
Great interpretation Mr Wood's about "non-governmental organisation" :)
Gender equality in education- ok, but gender equality in real life- never. It isn't possible.
Great article. Thanks for it. Thanks to article I knew about this charity action, which I totally promote and I'm glad that people like Mr Wood exist.
Also, I think that adressing the problem of illiteracy and limited access to education in underdeveloped countries is really important.
This article describes how an idea of one Microsoft’s former employee evolved into development of education in poor countries. One man, making non-profit organization gave an opportunity and access to books, which 3rd countries cannot even imagine of.
I really support those kind of movement, If I had chance I would surely help in that idea.